Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Lil.Edward
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
best malware software for mac

i need a malware software for mac what is the best software
Lil.Edward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:39 PM   #2
ashman70
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Why do you 'need it'?
__________________
Iphone 5s 32GB, iPad Mini 32GB wifi
2013 iMac 27" 16GB RAM, 1TB fusion drive, Nvidia 780M, 2xDell 23" monitors, 4x3TB Thunderbay IV enclosure.
MacBook Air 13" mid 2014, 128GB, 4GB RAM.
ashman70 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Stewart21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil.Edward View Post
i need a malware software for mac what is the best software
You don't need it as OSX already has malware protection built in. In addition make sure your firewall on you mac and/or ADSL modem router is turned on.

Stewart
__________________
20" iMac 2007 2GHZ C2D 4GB RAM 250GB & 2011 13' MBA 1.7GHz i5 4GB 128SSD. Both OSX Mavericks. iPad Mini 32GB WiFi Black/Slate. ATV3.
Stewart21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil.Edward View Post
i need a malware software for mac what is the best software
What's that I hear coming. Footsteps in the distance. Why it's GGJstudios on his way to tell you that there is built in malware protection, make sure Firewall is on, Java is off, and that user education and care is all that is needed to protect against malware.

Only he'll say it much better, and give you links to explain everything you need to know about malware on Macs.

That is, he'll show up if your lucky - he really knows about all this stuff.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:23 PM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Are we just assuming he is looking for an app to detect malware or some actual malware to spread?
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:53 PM   #6
salacious
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil.Edward View Post
i need a malware software for mac what is the best software
download the fake adobe flash update youl find a really good piece of malware there..
salacious is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:26 PM   #7
keith4594
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
you might need some malware protection it all depends on what you are doing and on what websites you are doing it on i personally wouldn't use it because my macbook like all the others are built for SPEED and you don't what to take it away but if you are a big downloaded and wouldn't miss a few seconds of your life then mcafee will do the job
keith4594 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:26 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil.Edward View Post
i need a malware software for mac what is the best software
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
Mac Virus/Malware Info
Quote:
Originally Posted by salacious View Post
download the fake adobe flash update youl find a really good piece of malware there..
Of course, downloading it won't be enough to infect a Mac. You'll have to manually install it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4594 View Post
you might need some malware protection it all depends on what you are doing and on what websites you are doing it
It doesn't matter what websites you visit. The only Mac OS X malware in the wild requires the user to actively install it, which usually involves entering your admin password. You can surf all day long without risk of infecting your Mac, as long as you're not installing anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4594 View Post
mcafee will do the job
McAfee is a joke. Don't use it. ClamXav is a good choice if you insist on running antivirus, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system.
GGJstudios is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
Mac Virus/Malware Info
Of course, downloading it won't be enough to infect a Mac. You'll have to manually install it.

It doesn't matter what websites you visit. The only Mac OS X malware in the wild requires the user to actively install it, which usually involves entering your admin password. You can surf all day long without risk of infecting your Mac, as long as you're not installing anything.

McAfee is a joke. Don't use it. ClamXav is a good choice if you insist on running antivirus, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system.
See, I told you he'd give you the full dope.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein

Last edited by Shrink; Dec 30, 2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added missing word
Shrink is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:34 AM   #10
tug
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: loughborough. u.k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
See, I told you he'd give you full dope.
yeah shrink, he really does know his stuff.

but theres one thing i would like to know,

what does happen if you do install some bad stuff?
__________________
21.5 imac, 2.7GHz intel core i5, atv 2, iphone 5
i blah,blah,blah, blah,
tug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:45 AM   #11
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
yeah shrink, he really does know his stuff.

but theres one thing i would like to know,

what does happen if you do install some bad stuff?
This is the only "serious" issue and even then, it can easily be removed.

Otherwise with generic trojans, your system just gets slow.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 DP8 | Windows 8.1 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8 | Verizon
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:09 PM   #12
tug
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: loughborough. u.k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
This is the only "serious" issue and even then, it can easily be removed.

Otherwise with generic trojans, your system just gets slow.
good to know, thanks for the reply friend, my mac aint got nothin then,

coz its blazin.
__________________
21.5 imac, 2.7GHz intel core i5, atv 2, iphone 5
i blah,blah,blah, blah,
tug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:09 PM   #13
shyam09
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
wait sry dumb question, but do mac have a firewall built in? is it turned off by default? or is this a 3rd party firewall we are talking about

lol sry for those dumb question :P
shyam09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:15 PM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam09 View Post
wait sry dumb question, but do mac have a firewall built in? is it turned off by default? or is this a 3rd party firewall we are talking about

lol sry for those dumb question :P
Yes, the firewall is built in.
Yes, it's off by default.
No, it's not a 3rd party firewall.
To turn it on (which you should), go to System Preferences > Security > Firewall and enable it.
No, it's not a dumb question.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:50 PM   #15
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
...

Otherwise with generic trojans, your system just gets slow.
This is a very popular misconception. The purpose of malware is not to slowdown your computer. A system slowdown may, however, be a characteristic of badly written malware. That said, there is no MacOS X malware in the wild. If your Mac experiences a slowdown, then this is no reason to suspect malware. OTOH if you are running Windows without protection, then you may rest assured that you have malware. This is true even if the Windows system is humming along.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:53 PM   #16
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
This is a very popular misconception. The purpose of malware is not to slowdown your computer. A system slowdown may, however, be a characteristic of badly written malware. That said, there is no MacOS X malware in the wild. If your Mac experiences a slowdown, then this is no reason to suspect malware. OTOH if you are running Windows without protection, then you may rest assured that you have malware. This is true even if the Windows system is humming along.
Notice I said "Trojans" and not "Malware"
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 DP8 | Windows 8.1 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8 | Verizon
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:54 PM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Notice I said "Trojans" and not "Malware"
Trojans are a form of malware, and MisterMe's comments apply to trojans, as well as other forms of malware.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:02 PM   #18
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Trojans are a form of malware, and MisterMe's comments apply to trojans, as well as other forms of malware.
Hmm, I always assumed trojans were different from Malware. Nevermind then, MisterMe is right.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 DP8 | Windows 8.1 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8 | Verizon
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:03 PM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Hmm, I always assumed trojans were different from Malware. Nevermind then, MisterMe is right.
Read this to learn the difference: Mac Virus/Malware Info
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spigot Malware on my Mac? DuganRun Mac Basics and Help 17 Dec 13, 2013 09:33 AM
Malware From iPhone to Mac? John55455 iPhone 4 Jul 26, 2013 03:43 PM
Mac Malware? MacUser09 OS X 2 May 2, 2013 01:23 AM
Apple Updates Anti-Malware Software to Block Older Versions of Adobe Flash Player Plug-in MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 40 Mar 9, 2013 04:46 PM
Is a malware on my Mac? ismar23 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 3 Jul 29, 2012 10:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC