Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
NBA League Pass is free until January 6 and NBA TV is built into current Apple TVs under the Internet option. Is anyone else on here using it? I'm getting unacceptable service with lots of pauses and some drops. I have very fast internet access (20+ MBs downstream) though it is fairly new and might have some esoteric bugs (I'm not sure I have my Motorola Surfboard modem/router from my cable company playing nicely with my Aiport Extreme Base Station (currently set in bridge mode as an easy fix until I get under the hood of the Surfboard modem)). But I'm streaming lots of other stuff very easily except for league pass, so my first thought is not to worry about my internet connection.

Also, the picture is far from HD or even 720p (which is all that my projector can output anyway). But when it runs, it is okay. It just gets into rutts where it pauses every minute for about 15 seconds. It makes games unwatcheable.

Yottabyte

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
Me too

Ive had the same issue. I've come to the conclusion that the NBA is pretty terrible at technology in general. I'm a paying league pass member and my service has been terrible for the past week, not to mention charging full price for league pass in an abbreviated season. Very frustrating. The video of the game plays for 10-15 seconds and then stops and buffers for 30 seconds. I initially thought this was because of Internet problems on my side, but after reading your post and doing a couple days of troubleshooting on my own, I think it's the NBA. I would like to hear from the NBA about this issue, but I'm not expecting much.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I contacted NBA Live Chat and got tech support. They said they were having no trouble and suggested maybe my internet wasn't fast enough. But I've got 20+ MBs download so speed is not a problem I've got.

For what it is worth, it has been a little better this weekend. The free period ends on Friday. Do you mind letting us know if you see improved performance over the weekend or early next week?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Internet speeds mean little as to how spotty a connection is. The problem could lie almost anywhere in the chain. If it were me I'd connect the ATV2 via wired Ethernet and see if the problem persists. At least that would eliminate your WiFi as the problem.

cjordan230

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Same here

I have a great connection, 20mbps and ethernet... I thought it was my internet too but I stream the others just fine... (Netflix, Baseball and You tube)

I dont understand why and don't want to pay 109 for a season if it will be like this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.