Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
After a quick search of this forum, I found this has been suggested twice before, last almost four years ago... perhaps it's time for a revisit of the idea.

I've noticed a lot of threads springing up surrounding AirPort, AirPlay and other networking devices, but no real definitive forum for these to go into. The only two forums that look to have anything to do with AirPort/Networking are the 'Mac Peripherals' and 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking', neither of these I feel are sufficient for the large quantity of queries regarding the aforementioned matters.

As AirPort, AirPlay (and networking) is a large part of the Apple universe, perhaps it's time for a separate forum exclusive for these issues.

Your thoughts?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't see how this can be separated to another forum, since many of the networking issues also involve settings on a particular Mac model, as well. Between Apple and non-Apple routers, various Mac models, printers, Time Capsules, iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc., network topics spill over to many areas. I just don't see how all that can be confined to one forum.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
I don't see how this can be separated to another forum, since many of the networking issues also involve settings on a particular Mac model, as well. Between Apple and non-Apple routers, various Mac models, printers, Time Capsules, iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc., network topics spill over to many areas. I just don't see how all that can be confined to one forum.
While true, the core issue remains the same. Questions surrounding network setups and troubleshooting are usually resolved with adjusting settings on the affected devices, whether they be a Mac computer, and AirPort device or a 3rd party networking component. Having a forum for just these issues makes it easier to search through and find issues that others have had and the answers. (Nothing worse than having to search all over the board to find an answer that could be located in one forum).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I think this would be a good idea, but make it more generic and not use Apple or other company proprietary names within the title.

Maybe call it a "Computer Networking" forum, which can encompass LAN's, WAN's, routers (wireless & hardwired), switches, firewalls (hardware & software), fiber mux's and general network security.

All this stuff is relevant to OS X & iOS, yet is agnostic towards them and Windows, Linux etc... The protocols remain the same across platforms.

We have Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking but that title really limits the scope of what it's intention is for.

I bet munkery would have plenty to contribute in this field and in this potential new forum.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah most network help threads I've seen are under the 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' section.

But I am guessing more people buy airport products than OS X server

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think this would be a good idea, but make it more generic and not use Apple or other company proprietary names within the title.

Maybe call it a "Computer Networking" forum, which can encompass LAN's, WAN's, routers (wireless & hardwired), switches, firewalls (hardware & software), fiber mux's and general network security.

All this stuff is relevant to OS X & iOS, yet is agnostic towards them and Windows, Linux etc... The protocols remain the same across platforms.

We have Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking but that title really limits the scope of what it's intention is for.

I bet munkery would have plenty to contribute in this field and in this potential new forum.

I like this...It's a particular field of interest of mine. Having a generic title as suggested by SandboxGeneral is all encompassing and would work well.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I can't figure out why you're so against change. You're really defensive about this whole distinguished networking forum.

You have 254 posts. I have over 15,700. This does not mean that my opinion means more than yours, but it does mean that you either a) haven't been around long enough to know why your idea is not a big improvement over the status quo, or b) won't be around long enough to care if it's implemented or not.

Edit: I do agree that putting something about the AEBS or Time Capsule in the Mac Peripherals forum description might help some people, though.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
You have 254 posts. I have over 15,700. This does not mean that my opinion means more than yours, but it does mean that you either a) haven't been around long enough to know why your idea is not a big improvement over the status quo, or b) won't be around long enough to care if it's implemented or not.
So what if my post count is substantially lower than yours. Perhaps that's why you don't want a new forum or change at all for that matter. You've become too accustomed to how things are on the board.

And change doesn't benefit just myself, so even if I did decide to leave it will continue to benefit the entire MacRumors community.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Constructive debate +1 flaming each other? Why? It does not seem to me to be a question of post counts....Competition or anything else related to a specific members contribution here.

Like I said, just a housekeeping thing. Happy New Year.

Let peace resume!:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Post counts and join dates are completely irrelevant to the discussion. :rolleyes: Anyone can offer ideas for improving the forum. The idea will stand or fall based on its own merit, not on the post count or "tenure" of anyone for or against it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So why do you think this particular thread doesn't fit in Mac Peripherals? The Airport Extreme at least is still a Mac Peripheral.

B

It fits the current forum, but I figure that since the user is having the issue with several products, that it could better fit a more generic forum. Especially since the error that is preventing him from using his non-Apple peripherals relates to UPnP, being a Microsoft protocol.

I thought this thread was a good example to use for the promotion of adding this potential new forum. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.