Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:51 PM   #1
orvn
macrumors 6502

How Do I Properly Care for a New Macbook Pro Battery?

I purchased a new battery for my 2009 Macbook Pro Unibody.
Going to replace it tomorrow.

Before I do however, I'd like to know how to charge it the first time.
Should I:
Install it, turn on the device, let the battery die fully, then recharge it fully and let it die again?

Or perhaps I should install it, charge it fully, let it die entirely and charge it up again?

Or something else? Does it even matter?
orvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2
Senex
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvn View Post
I purchased a new battery for my 2009 Macbook Pro Unibody.
Going to replace it tomorrow.

Before I do however, I'd like to know how to charge it the first time.
Should I:
Install it, turn on the device, let the battery die fully, then recharge it fully and let it die again?

Or perhaps I should install it, charge it fully, let it die entirely and charge it up again?

Or something else? Does it even matter?
Go with the same as the advice here.
Senex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:53 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvn View Post
How Do I Properly Care for a New Macbook Pro Battery?
Plug it in and let it charge while you use it. That's it. No need to fully discharge and recharge. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can, as long as you're not running with it plugged in all the time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senex View Post
Go with the same as the advice here.
No, don't. That's not proper care for a Mac notebook battery.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Senex
macrumors member

@GGstudios I guess I assumed that if he bought a third-party iPhone battery from some supplier, the MBP battery came from the same place and not Apple. If it's an Apple battery, then yes, go with whatever directions come with it.

I've always been one to "stretch the legs" of a new lithium battery in order to run the gamut of voltages at least once.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:11 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senex View Post
@GGstudios I guess I assumed that if he bought a third-party iPhone battery from some supplier, the MBP battery came from the same place and not Apple. If it's an Apple battery, then yes, go with whatever directions come with it.

I've always been one to "stretch the legs" of a new lithium battery in order to run the gamut of voltages at least once.
iPhone batteries and Mac notebook batteries are two different animals, and not to be treated the same way. The Battery FAQ I posted will tell you all you need to know about Apple notebook battery care. Also, I would never trust or recommend a notebook battery that didn't come from Apple.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Senex
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
iPhone batteries and Mac notebook batteries are two different animals, and not to be treated the same way. The Battery FAQ I posted will tell you all you need to know about Apple notebook battery care. Also, I would never trust or recommend a notebook battery that didn't come from Apple.
Well, neither would I ...but there's a sucker born every minute, and no shortage of absolute crap out there for the naive buyer.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
battery, macbook pro battery