Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:23 AM   #1
HUGE AL
macrumors member

Update iP4 Jailbreak to iOS 5.0.1 or Buy a Factory Unlocked iP4S?

Currently have an iP4 running iOS 4.1 BB 01.59.00.

Torn between updating to 5.0.1 and troubleshooting the iBooks, single signal bar, MMS, and VV issues

or

Selling the thing on eBay and just purchasing a Factory Unlocked iP4S in the hopes that a jailbreak will eventually come out for it.

Thoughts much appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:42 AM   #2
qwasedral
macrumors member

Just update your iPhone instead of buying a whole new one and HOPING a jailbreak is released.
qwasedral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:46 AM   #3
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

If I were you and happy with iP4 i would just keep the iP4 and update it.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:29 AM   #4
terraphantm
macrumors 68020

If you depend on the unlock, sell the phone and buy an unlocked 4S. A jailbreak will come out - it's just a matter of time. Probably a couple weeks at this point
terraphantm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:51 AM   #5
noiceT
macrumors 6502

Keep the 4, and just wait until all the 5.0.1 issues are ironed out, if its such a worry for you. Dev team flips out updates to redsn0w pretty fast to address issues on a new jb.

After 5 min of playing with your new 4s, you'll wish you had a JB. I was dying in the mere hours when cydia was bogged down and had to play with only stock iOS 5
noiceT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Davvido
macrumors regular

I think I would rather buy a factory unlocked iPhone. Having it unjailbroken is the disadvantage actually, but think about the comfort of always being able to update, downgrade, try betas etc. When the jailbreak comes out, you can only care about the tool to jailbreak your iPhone - no baseband preserving, no ultrasn0w, no geveys etc. This is the convenience every user should have.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:03 PM   #7
HUGE AL
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayemerica View Post
If I were you and happy with iP4 i would just keep the iP4 and update it.
I'm happy with iOS 4.1, but would like to have some of the new features -- not to mention that some of the apps now require 4.2 and higher. It's the issues I listed above that I'm not happy to workaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
If you depend on the unlock, sell the phone and buy an unlocked 4S. A jailbreak will come out - it's just a matter of time. Probably a couple weeks at this point
I don't depend on the unlock, but it does come in handy when I'm out of the country. Yes, the rational for getting a factory hardware unlock removes the stress of utilizing software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiceT View Post
Keep the 4, and just wait until all the 5.0.1 issues are ironed out, if its such a worry for you. Dev team flips out updates to redsn0w pretty fast to address issues on a new jb.

After 5 min of playing with your new 4s, you'll wish you had a JB. I was dying in the mere hours when cydia was bogged down and had to play with only stock iOS 5
Problem is, those "issues" are not likely to be "ironed out" as they are tied to the BB and haven't been addressed since the 4.2 jailbreak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davvido View Post
I think I would rather buy a factory unlocked iPhone. Having it unjailbroken is the disadvantage actually, but think about the comfort of always being able to update, downgrade, try betas etc. When the jailbreak comes out, you can only care about the tool to jailbreak your iPhone - no baseband preserving, no ultrasn0w, no geveys etc. This is the convenience every user should have.
The updating never really bothered me. Getting to iOS 5.x.x is a "nice-to-have." Trying betas never appealed to me.

Aside from unlocking, is there any other reason to preserve the BB?

Many Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:02 AM   #8
terraphantm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGE AL View Post
Aside from unlocking, is there any other reason to preserve the BB?
Not really. Hackers might have limited use for preserving BB, because they may be able to use a known vulnerability to look for others... but if you don't plan on developing any baseband hacks yourself and have a factory unlocked devices, there's no reason to preserve it.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I would keep the unlockable bb and dont waste it even if you dont need it.
It brings value to the phone and will make it sell faster and easier. Kinda like buying a factory unlocked iphone 4 but cheaper.
If you want make a custom 5.0.1 and update to that to check it out. You'll enjoy it.
Then when a JB for the 4S comes out sell the i4 and get a factory unlocked 4S. Or up to you.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 05:08 PM   #10
HUGE AL
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
It brings value to the phone and will make it sell faster and easier. Kinda like buying a factory unlocked iphone 4 but cheaper.
If you want make a custom 5.0.1 and update to that to check it out. You'll enjoy it.
Then when a JB for the 4S comes out sell the i4 and get a factory unlocked 4S. Or up to you.
So if I stay with the iP4, is the best way to get around the MMS and VV issues to just suffer through the single signal bar?

Thanks, AJ!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 06:55 PM   #11
eastercat
macrumors 68040

That's what I'm pretty much doing. When I install ultrasnow for when I go on vacation, it won't be a huge loss to not have vvm or mms temporarily. Somewhere in this sub-forum, there's a thread about some of the solutions to the ibooks problem. I was able to get it operational for my devices using a following poster's advice, but that solution may not work for you.
Quote:
So if I stay with the iP4, is the best way to get around the MMS and VV issues to just suffer through the single signal bar?

Thanks, AJ!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 01:32 AM   #12
trajen
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGE AL
Quote:

Thanks, AJ!
You could always do the Field Test trick and switch from signal bars to -dB numbers. Then you'd know the true strength of signal.
trajen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:09 PM   #13
terraphantm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I assumed he was asking from the perspective of possibly buying a factory unlocked device - in which case there isn't much use for preserving the baseband unless you want to tinker with running custom code on the baseband processor
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:12 PM   #14
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I assumed he was asking from the perspective of possibly buying a factory unlocked device - in which case there isn't much use for preserving the baseband unless you want to tinker with running custom code on the baseband processor
No, I dont think he has a factory unlocked i4 with bb 01.59.00
Saving the ultrasnow bb for the average user on a factory unlocked iphone would be pointless.
I agree.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 08:46 PM   #15
HUGE AL
macrumors member

Quote:
Then when a JB for the 4S comes out sell the i4 and get a factory unlocked 4S.
As always, I followed your advice.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:12 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
As always, I followed your advice.
Nice
How you like the 4S?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:19 PM   #17
HUGE AL
macrumors member

Quote:
Nice
How you like the 4S?
The speed is very nice. Only tested out the camera a bit, but looks good...a little sensitive on stabilization (I'll have to turn on the feature in Camera+)...but good.

As with all new phones (set up as new ), I've only installed SBSettings in order to gauge conflicts/battery drain. Even with only one app installed, I have noticed minor things:
  • Powering on and off appear to take a bit longer.
  • When powering on, it takes a while to find the mobile network.
  • I understand that this is a dual processor, but battery drain is noticeably faster.
  • SBSettings takes a bit of playing with to get it to work "correctly."
  • In seeing the recent thread regarding UAFaker, I just found out it's not working.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
The speed is very nice. Only tested out the camera a bit, but looks good...a little sensitive on stabilization (I'll have to turn on the feature in Camera+)...but good.

As with all new phones (set up as new ), I've only installed SBSettings in order to gauge conflicts/battery drain. Even with only one app installed, I have noticed minor things:
  • Powering on and off appear to take a bit longer.
  • When powering on, it takes a while to find the mobile network.
  • I understand that this is a dual processor, but battery drain is noticeably faster.
  • SBSettings takes a bit of playing with to get it to work "correctly."
  • In seeing the recent thread regarding UAFaker, I just found out it's not working.
Powering on will take longer than a stock phone cause it has to run additional processes for the JB.
About finding the network its a 4S thing. Even stock it acts the same. They all do the same, mine takes 10-20 seconds where all my other iphones before like 3GS and iphone 4 will lock in servicing within 1-2 seconds.
I notice the battery going down faster than my previous i4 but not that bad.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:42 PM   #19
HUGE AL
macrumors member

Quote:
Powering on will take longer than a stock phone cause it has to run additional processes for the JB.
Ahhh...is it because this exploit is so different from the previous ones?

Quote:
About finding the network its a 4S thing. Even stock it acts the same. They all do the same, mine takes 10-20 seconds where all my other iphones before like 3GS and iphone 4 will lock in servicing within 1-2 seconds.
Good to know as I never tried the phone as stock.

Quote:
I notice the battery going down faster than my previous i4 but not that bad.
Agreed.

If you only have the apps you listed in another thread, I think we're quite similar. Hate bogging down my phone with stuff I don't need or only use sparingly.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Tags
01.59.00, 5.0.1, factory unlocked, ip4, ip4s