Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
Anyone have the Lifeproof case? I've heard its pretty bad ass but I'd like to hear from you guys what you think of it.;)

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
I think it looks alright..Pretty slim and doesn't add any bulk to the phone. Best case I've seen so far protection wise.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Main issue may be the slightly decreased sensitivity of the touchscreen due to the gap between the case's screen protector and the iPhone screen. I don't have this case, but I'm interested and read some comments about this.

ScottS4UofA

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and love it. I came from being an Otterbox Defender user and I can tell you there is no comparison between the two. Lifeproof is better protection all around in my opinion. Being in the fire service and having a lifeproof case is a must. As much as we are constantly in and out of the vehicles on calls, it's the best to have on rainy days. The clip is also really well made. I especially like the locking feature it has. There is simply not a better one on the market that I am aware of.

All in all, if you are looking at protecting the phone go with the Lifeproof case. If you are looking for something with more style...go with something else.

I personally don't think my lifeproof looks bad. It's a lot better than the Otterbox Defender though. :)

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I've had one since July. Wouldn't want to use anything else. They have improved this case with the 2nd generation. It greatly decreases the risk of drop and water damage. I routinely use my phone in wet environments and it sure beats a ziplock bag. I drop my phone more now than I ever did, simply because I am less careful and worried. My screen is flat and functions great!

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I'll have one to review pretty soon. I'll be sure to post a thread on it in the iPhone accessories section. Any particular questions you have that I can possibly answer when I get it?

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have a second generation. White on my White Verizon iPhone 4S 32GB.

Initially, I liked the protection but thought that it would add bulk and the touch screen wouldn't be as responsive as a naked iPhone with a screen protector. I left my perfect screen protector on and placed it in the LifeProof after watching their youtube installation video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDerD9F3sQ&feature=player_embedded)

Even with the screen protector installed, the touch screen is still very responsive. It does take a little while to adjust to the touch but so far I have zero complaints. It isn't as bulky as one would think either. Still slides out of the pocket very easy. Sound quality is very good also, through both call quality and speakerphone/ringer sound a quality. Installation with easy, the 30-pin connector door is easy to access and provides protection while still being able to sync/charge with my dock via a Radtech dock extender. No complaints from me.

photo1-3.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
I don't have one, but my friend does. He loves it. We even submerged the case under water for a minute, and it did not leak one bit.

Sonhascome

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2010
Maryland
these look pretty sweet, I'm looking to pick on up for work, I do landscaping in the summers. I figure that will allow me to carry it around with me and not be worried.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Last edited by a moderator:

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
There really isn't a subject that has not been discussed at some point so please allow others to have there (sic - their) own discussions without distracting us with your ignorance.
Back to the subject of the OP , I had the case on my 4s and found it a bit bulky for my taste but it will protect your device very well.

Just trying to be helpful. It took me a grand total of 30 seconds to cut and paste bookmarks of threads I have followed, given my own AWFUL experience with Lifeproof. Since you obviously are not aware of certain aspects of internet etiquette, let me help you too. When a subject is raised, and where it has already been discussed, the OP and others often benefit from knowing about the previous posts. Point them out. My post was for THEIR benefit.

PS - Guilty as charged. I spend a lot of time in front of my computers, but I normally get paid a couple hundred bucks an hour to do it. When a man who gets paid that much is willing to give you a bit of his wisdom and experience for free, it is usually a good idea to listen.

Last edited:

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
I'll have one to review pretty soon. I'll be sure to post a thread on it in the iPhone accessories section. Any particular questions you have that I can possibly answer when I get it?

Yes! Does the screen protector sit flush on the screen? Or does it have a pillow effect? How does it feel to hold it?

----------

I have a second generation. White on my White Verizon iPhone 4S 32GB.

Initially, I liked the protection but thought that it would add bulk and the touch screen wouldn't be as responsive as a naked iPhone with a screen protector. I left my perfect screen protector on and placed it in the LifeProof after watching their youtube installation video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDerD9F3sQ&feature=player_embedded)

Even with the screen protector installed, the touch screen is still very responsive. It does take a little while to adjust to the touch but so far I have zero complaints. It isn't as bulky as one would think either. Still slides out of the pocket very easy. Sound quality is very good also, through both call quality and speakerphone/ringer sound a quality. Installation with easy, the 30-pin connector door is easy to access and provides protection while still being able to sync/charge with my dock via a Radtech dock extender. No complaints from me.

photo1-3.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

Thats awesome. Looks pretty cool too..I also ordered the white case...Should be here soon!

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
Exactly why I bought this case; water damage. My 3GS supposedly had water damage and I never knew about it until I sent it off to Power On Recycling Services(btw, DO NOT SEND YOUR PHONE OR COMPUTER TO THEM!!They damaged mine!) and they gave me a quote of 125$ for it, I sent it to them, and I get an email with a new quote of 25$! They claimed it had water damage, scuffed housing, and the headjack port was messed up. The phone was in perfect condition when I had sent it to them. I get it back and the apple logo is half scratched off, looks like it was done by a machine and there is water damage in the ports. I called and bitched about this to them and they kept dancing away from the subject. They would not give me an answer as to what the hell had happened to my phone, they just kept saying it had water damage, which it had not. I'm seriously thinking about taking them to court as I have evidence of the phone before and after I sent it to them.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
It's an awesome waterproof case. The best you can get without bulking up your iPhone too much and sacrificing performance. I'll leave a link to the review I've done on the gen 2 if you want more detail and pics.

6586405057_8583687df8_o.jpg

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
It's an awesome waterproof case. The best you can get without bulking up your iPhone too much and sacrificing performance. I'll leave a link to the review I've done on the gen 2 if you want more detail and pics.

Beautiful, thank you!

----------

I like mine, but I only use it for when I'm at work. Otherwise I use the Griffen Reveal.

I wish I could put apple bumpers on the case. Doesnt look like it thought :3 lol

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
PS - Guilty as charged. I spend a lot of time in front of my computers, but I normally get paid a couple hundred bucks an hour to do it.

I'm in agreement with your original post and point. The above sentence just blew away your credibility. That's a mere $64k / week.

Skippern

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
YMark, I am in complete agreement with your post and point. However, your credibility dwindles when you suppose someone works 64 hours a day.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
YMark, I am in complete agreement with your post and point. However, your credibility dwindles when you suppose someone works 64 hours a day.

LOL. I can't argue with you on that. :D

How about $8k / week? Still pretty tough to swallow for someone that "spends a lot of time in front of my computers".

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
LOL. I can't argue with you on that. :D

How about $8k / week? Still pretty tough to swallow for someone that "spends a lot of time in front of my computers".

Where the heck are you guys pulling your numbers from? I never gave one. If you do what I do, (own my own research/lab business) 40 to as many as 60 hours a week in front of a computer is quite the norm...when biz is good. Unfortunately, all of those hours are not billable to the client. I wish I consistently could bill half of them. Go get a couple grad degrees and 20 years of relevant experience, and you too can be an expert consultant charging 200 bucks an hour or more. So, yep, do the math. Say you work 45 weeks a year and bill for 25 hours a week multiplied by 200 USD per hour. Now deduct around a third for expenses and overhead. 150K before taxes. After ten years of college and more than two decades in the industry, big whoop. 8K a week hard to swallow? I don't have a single client that isn't making five times that if they are firm partners...which most are.

Back on topic. The Lifeproof is what some have called a love/hate product, and I agree. For every great review there is an awful one. Check Best Buy reviews for example. Between the pillow effect, Newton rings, echo, and reduced call volume, after trying SEVEN front replacements, I got one case that works as advertised out of three.

Update: http://www.bbb.org/sandiego/busines...g-developments-inc-in-san-diego-ca-172001444/

Last edited:

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I got my review case today and will hopefully have it installed tomorrow to use for a few days before posting any comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.