Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:32 AM   #1
jackandmax
macrumors newbie

Son's iPod Touch getting mine and wifes text messages

Hi I'm new to this forum. I'm hoping someone can help me. It seems that all my wife's and my communication between each other is also showng up on my sons ipod touch. Anyone know how I can fix this?

TY
jackandmax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:36 AM   #2
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a

Is his set up under your apple id?

If it is, that's probably why.
likethesoup2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:56 AM   #3
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Yet one more reason to not share IDs across devices.....
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:00 AM   #4
srf4real
macrumors 68030

Right. Get your own Apple IDs. Three of them.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Chi-mex
macrumors member

I do not think it is apple ID's, becuase me, my mom, and my bro all use the same apple ID. What you need to do is, on your sons itouch, go to settings> Messages, once in there change the "receive at" email address to his email. If he does not even use imessage, you could also just turn it off.
Chi-mex is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:30 AM   #6
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-mex View Post
I do not think it is apple ID's, becuase me, my mom, and my bro all use the same apple ID. What you need to do is, on your sons itouch, go to settings> Messages, once in there change the "receive at" email address to his email. If he does not even use imessage, you could also just turn it off.
You do realize, at some point, you're going to have to all break out; and guess what a mess that's going to be?
likethesoup2 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:17 AM   #7
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

There have been several recent threads on kids and giving them their own Apple IDs. I strongly suggest the OP review them and consider the pros and cons. After having my wife and daughter share an AppleID (and hundreds of dollars of purchased music and apps accumulated over those years) it was painful to force one of them to give up the shared ID and migrate to a new one. I wish I'd set them up individually from the start and now do it that way with everyone else in my family.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Chi-mex
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesoup2 View Post
You do realize, at some point, you're going to have to all break out; and guess what a mess that's going to be?
As soon as you put in a new Apple ID on the touch, the email for imessage will change, as welll as everything else connected to that apple ID.
I do see your point, but it wont be a mess, as much as a pain. Specially since you will lose all the apps. But when you finally break away, it hopefully will be because you have a job and can pay for yourself. Should that be the case, you probably will not want to spend money on apps as much as you previously did when you were a child.
Chi-mex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:09 PM   #9
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a

I have two kids (12 & 14); both have ipod touches, and both have their own apple id.

Just made sense to me.
likethesoup2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:15 PM   #10
srf4real
macrumors 68030

Quote:
you probably will not want to spend money on apps as much as you previously did when you were a child.
Roflmaogcu! Try $thousand$ more..
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:40 PM   #11
MazGaz
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Her Sons messages on my friends iPhone

Worked well THANKS Chi-mex
Quote:
MazGaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Boredathome
macrumors member

You can use a separate apple id for the app store if that's what you're worried about. It's what I do.
Boredathome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:49 PM   #13
view2darrel
macrumors member

if you want to locate your son wife or any member of the family. use find my friends. just invite her/him there it needs to be connected to wifi or have data plan for it to detect the location. sharing apple id's will mess up things like contacts and others. make sure you also turn that off in icloud if your sharing one apple id.
view2darrel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:30 PM   #14
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Red face

The misinformation on this thread is dangerous.

First you have to distinguish between the Apple ID you use for making purchases in iTunes and the App Store, and the Apple ID you use for iCloud functions such as FaceTime, iMessage, backups, syncing data. They do not have to be the same.
Whoever said that if you change your Apple ID, you lose all your apps under the old Apple ID, is lying. It's simply not true. My family has evolved from one Apple ID for everything (pre iOS 5.1) to everyone gets their own Apple ID for iCloud, and some of us share a single Apple ID for iTunes and the App Store (other use their own). Everybody still gets to use all the apps that were originally purchased under the initial Apple ID. Everybody also gets to listen to all the music that was purchased under the initial Apple ID.

My advice to any families - separate Apple IDs for iCloud.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch