Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I'm trying to set up an iPod shuffle (current generation) for my mother-in-law, [read:not a tech person], to make as easy to use as possible. She only listens to podcasts, Radiolab and NPR stuff. Now here's my problem;

If I choose for the iPod to 'Sync Podcasts', itunes will automatically removed podcast episodes that have been listened to and upload new episodes to the iPod (the easy way as itunes does episode management). However, the problem with this method is that the iPod shuffle only plays episodes from one podcast. For example, if I've loaded 5 episodes from Radiolab and This American Life, the iPod shuffle will only play the 5 episodes from Radiolab, and none from This American Life. I can't seem to be able to choose episodes from This American Life at all in the iPod shuffle.

After googling this problem I found a work around in which you make a playlist with all your podcasts and episodes and manually load them on the iPod shuffle. While this works it's not the simplest solution and requires the user to be responsible for episode management. It also requires the use of a playlist to intermediate between the iPod and the podcast library which is confusing for my not so techy ma-in-law.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any success with the auto sync (easy) method?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.