Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:42 PM   #1
DubbleM
macrumors newbie

Mac USB Flash Drive Compatability with Windows

While using iMovie, I recorded pure dv from a video camera. The clip was approximately 22 minutes long, resulting in a 4.6 GB .dv file. I went to copy this file onto a USB Flash Drive and I kept getting an error, which I found was because the Flash Drive was formatted as FAT32, which will only support files of up to 4.0 GB. I tried formatting the USB flash drive to NTFS, but Mac refused to read it, so I formatted it to Mac OS X Journaled format (from a suggestion on line).

I was able to copy the file over to the flash drive flawlessly, but now my Windows PC will not read it. My question is what software is out there to mount a Mac OS X Journaled USB flash drive so that I can copy the files off?

I have very limited access to the Mac computer where I copied the file from, so I am targeting a solution to simply decrypt the Max OS X Journaled format on a Windows 7 PC.

Thank you for any tips!
DubbleM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:16 PM   #2
ShinyDren
macrumors member

As long as you only need to be able to read from the flash drive, take a look at HFSExplorer. It is free and needs Java installed on your windows machine. It has worked for me for basic reading of a mac disk image file, but also works for external drives.

http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html

Good luck.
ShinyDren is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac