Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I just got the iPod nano 6g replacement for my original one yesterday and maybe I'm not familiar with them because I'm not understanding the ins and outs of this thing. First problem. Why can't I turn the screen off while listening to music? When I hit the sleep button it turns the screen off and also stops my music. Second problem. I'm using the iPhone 4 headphones with it and sometimes they work and other times they don't (the inline controls). What's up with that? Third problem. When I am listening to music and I don't hit the sleep button the iPod sleeps on its own and stops my music. WTH?!?!? I just want to run and listen to music. I was jacked when I heard that the replacements were upgrades but come on. If I'm an idiot and have settings messed I'll concede it, but after going through all the menus I can't seem to find a culprit. Please help me :)

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
When I got my nano I had the same thing happen when I would sleep the screen. I think the problem lies on that it's not sensing that u have earbuds plugged in.

So pretty much just stick the 3.5mm in and out a few times to get broken in.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
When I got my nano I had the same thing happen when I would sleep the screen. I think the problem lies on that it's not sensing that u have earbuds plugged in.

So pretty much just stick the 3.5mm in and out a few times to get broken in.

what about the sleeping issues?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
All 3 of your problems are caused by the same issue. You're not pushing in the headphones far enough in. Once you plug the headphones in all the way, all 3 of your issues will go away.

I'm 99.999999% sure this is the cause.

ft

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
All 3 of your problems are caused by the same issue. You're not pushing in the headphones far enough in. Once you plug the headphones in all the way, all 3 of your issues will go away.

I'm 99.999999% sure this is the cause.

ft

I've done some searching and found others had a similar problem. I've pushed the headphones in as far as they go and it still didn't work. I did a restore on it and it might be working now but I'll know tomorrow after some extended use. I'll post back if it worked but I'm not thinking anything will change. We'll see though.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I've done some searching and found others had a similar problem. I've pushed the headphones in as far as they go and it still didn't work. I did a restore on it and it might be working now but I'll know tomorrow after some extended use. I'll post back if it worked but I'm not thinking anything will change. We'll see though.

Perhaps your headphones are the problem. Try using a different set, if you have them.

The trick with the radio is a good idea too.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Perhaps your headphones are the problem. Try using a different set, if you have them.

The trick with the radio is a good idea too.

the radio trick was a great idea. I tried it again today and it turns out restoring had no effect but I did grab the headphones from my fiancé's iPhone instead and they worked fine so I think I just have a faulty pair. I'll call apple tomorrow and see about some replacements. No sweat. They worked fine tonight.

Thanks everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.