Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I'm interested in getting a Wacom when I buy my pb. I'm interested though in how exactly do they work? What are the main differences between the graphire and the intuos? What are your experiences with them? What do they mean when they say their batteries are batteryless?

What do you recommend? What size? Which type?

So many questions...need some answers :)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The bigger the monitor the more worthless a tablet is. i have a little 4x5 graphire with dual 21'' monitors, and its essentially worthless. I make the smallest mark i possible can and its like an inch long. The intuos is higher end than the graphire, and can use more different "tools", but if you are gonna get a small intuos you might as well just get the graphire instead. As for battery or batteriless? I thought they all worked without batteries...

To sum up: I have a tablet which i think was a waste of $100, but i know other people who are much happier with their purchase of a tablet.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I love mine. Recently got it from Backtothemac....Very happy with it.

It all depends what you do, and what you need the tablet for. I have the Intuos2 6x8. I wouldn't get anything smaller then 6x8....

Using it with Photoshop, Flash, and even daily tasks is awesome! And inkwell is pretty cool even though every now and then it doesnt really know what I wrote.

Oh also, using it with Maya is amazing....AMAZING.....I actually feel like I'm doing stuff in 3D now with it. Its much better on the wrists as well....which is an issue for me as an artist/animator/editor. I was in therapy a few months ago for tendonitis, and would like to stay away from that again is possible.

The tablet helps. Plus you get some really nice brushes for PS7 witht the Intuos2....I made a painting to try them out, very impressed!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Wacom tablets really do work well. The Graphire 2 has a very small active surface but it works well and has 512 pressure levels which are as good as Wacom's pro tablets prior to Intuos.

The stylus does not contain any batteries as they used to do maybe 6 years ago, so they're much lighter and better balanced. They also have the "eraser" on the other end, as you might expect. Some people hate the idea, but others love it.

Applications such as (Corel) Painter just cry out for a tablet. After all, what's natural about drawing with a mouse?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
The Graphite is great for many tasks including 3D work but is not so great for much graphic design due to its size and presure levels.

The Intuos is FAR better but comes at a much higher cost. It does have 1024 presure levels and a significant ability to handle angles. In programs like photoshop, it is actually like you are drawing with a pencil because the lines change beautifully according to how hard you push and what angle the pen is on. Also, the eraser saves you going back to the menu when you make a mistake. Also, the preset buttons on the Intuos make it easier to survive without using your mouse.

Like I said, though, the Intuos comes at a cost, esp. if you get one in the 12" range but, at that size, life is made very easy and things are actually close to 1:1 (assuming that if you are going to buy something that big you also have a large screen).

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I have a 9x12 Intuos2 that I use for my TiPB - and I love it. As for not using them on dual monitors, well, you need to set up the tablet to be relative position and it acts as a wireless mouse, where movement of the mouse moves the cursor, and its position is not determined by its relative postition on the tablet.

D

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Originally posted by madamimadam
Originally posted by dukestreet
I have a 9x12 Intuos2 that I use for my TiPB - and I love it. As for no

:confused:
abcd.gif
hmm2.gif

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Over Achiever

:confused:
abcd.gif
hmm2.gif

HEY... WHERE DID MY MESSAGE GO????
:( :( :( :(

What I said was that the ability to make the tablet work like a mouse instead of relative was pretty cool and something that I did not know you could do. It would also make life easier for those people who have trouble grasping the way tablets are normally used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.