Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 1, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Lennyvalentin
macrumors 6502

Simple, clean image viewer for OSX?

I'd really like a no-frills image viewer that supports Lion full-screen (IE, no interface at all visible), that automatically centers and zooms-to-fit images, and allow flipping between images and preferably also zooming by swipe input on the magic mouse.

Finally, it would be really nice if it has a better zooming filter kernel than just simple plain ole bilinear interpolation. Something like bi-cubic would be nice.

Is there any such thing? The three options - that I know of - that OSX offers as standard are all more or less severely lacking; Preview doesn't support flipping between images in a folder without opening all of them at once (you don't wanna do that with hundreds or even thousands of images in a big archive), and has no swipe support either.

iPhoto wants you to "import" every picture into a library, which is silly, because they're already all there on the disk. No need to import anything into anything, just show them already.

And the quick look feature doesn't support flipping either, although its interface is pretty much ideal; very clean and simple. Exactly what I'd like to see!

Is there anything floating about out there that fits at least some of these desires of mine...? Feels silly to have to network share my pictures folder to access it from my Windows PC, so save me from such a curse, please.

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions!
Lennyvalentin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 07:04 AM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

No sure it meets all your requirements, but you can check out Xee or JustLooking
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 04:32 AM   #3
Lennyvalentin
macrumors 6502

Frankly, I don't think anything meets ALL my wishes (not really requirements, really, heh), it's at times like these I really regret I never learned computer programming...

Xee looks nice though, I'll gonna have a peek at it later. Pun unintentional. Thanks for the help!
Lennyvalentin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Shadow2k
macrumors member

I currently use Phoenix Slides as image viewer. It doesn't support magic mouse/trackpad gestures, but I like its simplicity.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
ratcat
macrumors newbie

I dig the Phoenix Slides as it has a navigation pane visible with the thumbnail pane. Exactly what I was looking for.
ratcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:39 PM   #6
cyberjason
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the recommendation

Thanks for the Phoenix Slides recommendation. I was previously using sequential and it was a bit clunky. This works great...no lag when I'm viewing images off of my network drive...just what I wanted!

-J
cyberjason is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Fevida
macrumors newbie

Phoenix Slides is are great find! I was looking for a good simple thumbnail image viewer for ages, and this is just what I was looking for!
- View a folder as thumbnails
- View and photo by double-clicking
- Return to thumbnails by double-clicking again

Great!
Fevida is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
philosopherdog
macrumors 6502

No longer in development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevida View Post
Phoenix Slides is are great find! I was looking for a good simple thumbnail image viewer for ages, and this is just what I was looking for!
- View a folder as thumbnails
- View and photo by double-clicking
- Return to thumbnails by double-clicking again

Great!
philosopherdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:04 AM   #9
malih
macrumors newbie

I've been looking for a good image viewer and been monitoring some forum threads, but finally found one in the Mac App Store, and registered to post this, may this be helpful to whoever still looking for good image viewer.

it's called Smart Photo Viewer by ArcSoft (or when installed the app is called Photo+) - pretty much just like the image viewer I'm used to in Windows:
  • automatically loads all images in the same folder for browsing/viewing, with thumbnails
  • option to navigate or zoom with mouse wheel (if you're using a mouse, with wheel)
  • quick cropping (although no resize tool)
  • multitouch trackpad support

There are several others in the App Store, but this one is quite low in price.
Alternatively there's the free ToyViewer with basic editing, that is if you don't need it to automatically load all images in the same folder.
malih is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store