Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I have taken apart my ipod Touch in an attempt to fix the broken glass and the audio. In the process, I have dirtied the LCD (under the glass) screen. What is the best method of cleaning this screen before I proceed any further? Thank you.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I have taken apart my ipod Touch in an attempt to fix the broken glass and the audio. In the process, I have dirtied the LCD (under the glass) screen. What is the best method of cleaning this screen before I proceed any further? Thank you.
inside it?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
For cleaning a bare LCD screen (the part under the glass), I'd likely use a microfiber cloth (the kind you use to clean eyeglasses) and a diluted mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water, 60/40 mix respectively. Put the mixture on the cloth, not directly on the LCD, when cleaning it.

I did this on a PSP LCD screen once (the inside LCD, not the outside screen cover). I'm not positive, but I think the iPod Touch has a bare mylar coated LCD. Google it perhaps and see if you can find anything in the iFixit teardowns perhaps? Apple used to warn about using isopropyl alcohol as a cleaning agent but frankly, you've already cracked open your iPod and are about to do so again a second time, so I doubt a warranty issue is of concern to you at this point. But just to be safe....try it on a small corner of the screen before doing all of it. You could also just try using distilled water only and the cloth but that may not be enough to cut the finger grease. Make sure when you are cleaning it to put the screen at an angle to a light source so you can see if you left streaks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.