Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 1, 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Irock619
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
iPhone and Ford's Microsoft Sync Bluetooth Audio

My phone automatically connects to sync when I enter my vehicle. I am starting to notice that the bluetooth audio automatically starts playing from my phone. For some reason sync triggers the music to start playing from my phone. Has anybody experienced this problem? I normally listen to SAT radio or music from my USB flash drive. I never stream music from my phone so this is getting kind of annoying.

Thanks!
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 (Yosemite) w/Crucial SSD, 8GB RAM iPhone 5s 32GB iTouch 3G iPad Mini Retina
Irock619 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
defboob
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
i have sync as well, and it does what you describe. For me though it's all dependent on the last music source I had on when i turned the car off. If i was listening to FM or SAT radio, and it turned the car off, then later turned it back on - it will continue to stay on the radio. If i left the car stereo on the bluetooth audio stream when i turned the car off, then the next time i hop in, it will keep it there and resume the bluetooth stream where it left off.

I really like it that way because it's totally hands free, jump in and go (I mostly stream from my phone) My sync is in a 2010 fusion, perhaps other variants of sync behave differently? I would also suggest going to syncmyride.com to ensure your using the latest firmware for your vehicle's sync system, if you have not already.
defboob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3
ggmissmolly
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lexington, KY
Talking

Mine is just the opposite in my 2010 F-150. It will not connect to bluetooth audio (but does connect to phone) when I enter. I have to turn off bluetooth and turn it back on to get the connection. A large pain in the *** if you're out and about.

As to syncmyride, it's a pain also because it will only download an update if you use certain versions of certain web browsers. None of these are popular ones and all the useful versions are obsolete.

I usually buy two new vehicles every two or three years. I guess i hate to buy tires . This is my first Ford in twenty years and I like it, but I'll never buy another because of Sync. Too bad.
ggmissmolly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Irock619
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh I love sync and I will never purchase another F150 without it. Especially now that I can text and drive with Siri . The Bluetooth audio doesn't actually play through my truck at random times. For some reason sync will trigger the "iPod" in my phone but the SAT radio will still be playing. I look at my phone and it shows that it's playing music, even when Bluetooth audio is not being used at the time. I have to go into the music app and stop the player every time.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 (Yosemite) w/Crucial SSD, 8GB RAM iPhone 5s 32GB iTouch 3G iPad Mini Retina
Irock619 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:07 AM   #5
JerZyT28
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmissmolly View Post
Mine is just the opposite in my 2010 F-150. It will not connect to bluetooth audio (but does connect to phone) when I enter. I have to turn off bluetooth and turn it back on to get the connection. A large pain in the *** if you're out and about.

As to syncmyride, it's a pain also because it will only download an update if you use certain versions of certain web browsers. None of these are popular ones and all the useful versions are obsolete.

I usually buy two new vehicles every two or three years. I guess i hate to buy tires . This is my first Ford in twenty years and I like it, but I'll never buy another because of Sync. Too bad.
you can order ford vehicles without sync...and to use that as a bases to not buy another ford...serious issues
__________________
21.5" iMac; 15" MBP; iPad 3; iPod Classic 5th Gen; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Nano 4th Gen; Nexus 7, Nexus 5
JerZyT28 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:25 AM   #6
ggmissmolly
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lexington, KY
"you can order ford vehicles without sync"

Certainly you can! You won't find many in stock that way because Ford thinks it is a major selling point. Looks like they might get their major selling point to actually work the way it is claimed. I'm not the only person that feels this way about sync...it's a major issue.

Why go without the convenience of built in hands free and playing music through the audio system when other brands like toyota actually work. I did not say that I didn't like the concept...I said it doesn't work and that's a pain.
ggmissmolly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:01 PM   #7
JerZyT28
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Maybe I just got hardware, when I hop in my truck, even if it doesn't find Bluetooth right away, I just say Bluetooth audio and it will find my phone
__________________
21.5" iMac; 15" MBP; iPad 3; iPod Classic 5th Gen; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Nano 4th Gen; Nexus 7, Nexus 5
JerZyT28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:03 PM   #8
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030
 
sk1wbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Suffolk, Virginia
Ford SYNC is THE number one reason to have a fart app. Loud speakers. Stop light. Hot chick in the convertible next to you...
sk1wbw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Irock619
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmissmolly
"you can order ford vehicles without sync"

Certainly you can! You won't find many in stock that way because Ford thinks it is a major selling point. Looks like they might get their major selling point to actually work the way it is claimed. I'm not the only person that feels this way about sync...it's a major issue.

Why go without the convenience of built in hands free and playing music through the audio system when other brands like toyota actually work. I did not say that I didn't like the concept...I said it doesn't work and that's a pain.
Mine works 100% all the time. The only time I have issues is when the windows are down. Other than that it works awesome, and it is a major selling point because it makes everything easier and most important safer while driving.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 (Yosemite) w/Crucial SSD, 8GB RAM iPhone 5s 32GB iTouch 3G iPad Mini Retina
Irock619 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 01:18 PM   #10
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Make sure you aren't just switching to satellite radio, but rather stopping your ipod playing and then swapping to satelite radio. It should only automatically start playing whatever you had running last, if anything.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock619 View Post

Mine works 100% all the time. The only time I have issues is when the windows are down. Other than that it works awesome, and it is a major selling point because it makes everything easier and most important safer while driving.
Can you expound? What happens when the windows are down?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmissmolly View Post
I usually buy two new vehicles every two or three years. I guess i hate to buy tires . This is my first Ford in twenty years and I like it, but I'll never buy another because of Sync. Too bad.
You are basing your future purchases from a car manufacturer based on sync?
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Irock619
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Make sure you aren't just switching to satellite radio, but rather stopping your ipod playing and then swapping to satelite radio. It should only automatically start playing whatever you had running last, if anything.

----------



Can you expound? What happens when the windows are down?[COLOR="#808080"]
I guess I wasn't clear of the issue I am having. When I enter my vehicle my phone starts playing music, it doesn't actually play through the sync system. The sync system plays whatever I had it on last, which is what it's supposed to do like you said. When I enter the vehicle and start it up, my phone shows that music is playing, the music is not playing through bluetooth audio. I have to go into the iPod app and stop the player. This happens no matter what sync is playing, cd's, USB, or SAT radio, my phone starts to play music no matter what. Also because my phone automatically connects to sync, when the iPod is playing you can't hear it from the phone or truck until you physically tell sync to play bluetooth audio. No sounds come from the phone when connected to sync.

As for your question about the windows being down. I was referring to the comment that sync never works. The only time I have trouble with sync is when the windows are down and it doesn't recognize voice commands due to background noise.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 (Yosemite) w/Crucial SSD, 8GB RAM iPhone 5s 32GB iTouch 3G iPad Mini Retina
Irock619 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:05 AM   #12
speed4tu
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
If you have a ipod or something leave it set on that and switch it back to sirius, fm or whatever and it will stay where you put it. Meaning the aux be left on something other than bluetooth audio. When you enter the truck you won't connect automatically to the phone. I used to have this problem and it was very annoying.
speed4tu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:39 PM   #13
Irock619
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed4tu View Post
If you have a ipod or something leave it set on that and switch it back to sirius, fm or whatever and it will stay where you put it. Meaning the aux be left on something other than bluetooth audio. When you enter the truck you won't connect automatically to the phone. I used to have this problem and it was very annoying.
I purposely have it to automatically connect to my phone. The reason is for the 9-1-1 assist feature. If I get into an accident it will call 9-1-1 and give them my GPS position. Also I like to have my phone connected at all times to receive phone calls and send texts with Siri hands free.

I would just like to know why the music on my phone gets triggered on when connecting to sync. There is no reason why this should happen because I never use bluetooth audio. This is also very annoying because if I don't notice it playing music then the battery is getting sucked down. Also if for some reason Pandora is open then it is also using data. I don't have unlimited data so I have to make sure the Pandora app is closed and not playing in the background.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 (Yosemite) w/Crucial SSD, 8GB RAM iPhone 5s 32GB iTouch 3G iPad Mini Retina
Irock619 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:11 PM   #14
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock619 View Post
I guess I wasn't clear of the issue I am having. When I enter my vehicle my phone starts playing music, it doesn't actually play through the sync system. The sync system plays whatever I had it on last, which is what it's supposed to do like you said. When I enter the vehicle and start it up, my phone shows that music is playing, the music is not playing through bluetooth audio. I have to go into the iPod app and stop the player. This happens no matter what sync is playing, cd's, USB, or SAT radio, my phone starts to play music no matter what. Also because my phone automatically connects to sync, when the iPod is playing you can't hear it from the phone or truck until you physically tell sync to play bluetooth audio. No sounds come from the phone when connected to sync.

As for your question about the windows being down. I was referring to the comment that sync never works. The only time I have trouble with sync is when the windows are down and it doesn't recognize voice commands due to background noise.
Wow that is odd... I am completely baffled. I am not sure if that is an issue with sync or if it's an issue with your phone. Bizarre!
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:35 PM   #15
jzohyeah
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
I want my iphone to auto-play

Ok, so I have the opposite issue, and I'm hoping someone's figured this out. Everytime I get in my truck, I have to say "Bluetooth audio" then pick a song to play. This is extremely aggravating since when I first bought it, it auto-played the last bluetooth audio song from when I left the truck. I am not sure what's happened, but this is really aggravating. All I listen to is Bluetooth Audio, so I have to say it out loud every time I get in the truck to activate it.

Every time I climb in and start my 2011 F-150 up, the radio says LINE IN. I have NEVER used Line In, but it always defaults to that. Do you know why this is happening or how I can get it back to auto-playing bluetooth audio?

Thanks
jzohyeah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 03:33 PM   #16
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030
 
rjohnstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PHX, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmissmolly View Post
Why go without the convenience of built in hands free and playing music through the audio system when other brands like toyota actually work. I did not say that I didn't like the concept...I said it doesn't work and that's a pain.
Psst... Ford Sync and Toyota Entune are essentially the same product.
Both are running Microsoft Auto OS with manufacturer customizations to the UI.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit" - Nigel Tuffnel
Some Apple *****, some Android ***** and some Windows based *****.
rjohnstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 09:42 AM   #17
kgeier82
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
My 2011 Mazdaspeed does the same thing if I leave it on BT when I shut the car off. And it is by NO means ford sync lol.
kgeier82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:33 PM   #18
Jmart00i
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
iPhone and sync

There is a setting "auto play" in sync that you can turn off. Phone will still Bluetooth and bluetooth audio will still connect but won't play until you ask. I too am having issues where the Bluetooth audio sometimes works like it should and other times it won't. Either no Bluetooth audio device is connected or it will show something to be playing but no audio. I have to turn bluetooth off then back on to get it to work I have a friend that has a Hyundai (which uses a different system) and has the same issue. Another friend has a new BMW that has some of the same problems. I have a 4s and I'm wondering if this might be a phone software problem.
Jmart00i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:14 PM   #19
dasteve003
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I was having some issues with my usb drive in my car so I read online to pull the fuse for sync for a few seconds and make sure its not blown and then put it back in, this did wonders for me and now mine is back to normal. Worth a shot to try and resolve some of these other issues listed here, but always be careful when messing around in the fuse box.
__________________
- Steve
dasteve003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:06 PM   #20
B.A.T
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
I just bought a 2012 F150. Sync works great between my iPhone 4 and Bluetooth audio on all of my music except for the music I have purchased through iTunes. Those songs will not even play on the music app on my phone. All the other music works perfect. Anybody know what is going on with this?
B.A.T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:10 PM   #21
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.T View Post
I just bought a 2012 F150. Sync works great between my iPhone 4 and Bluetooth audio on all of my music except for the music I have purchased through iTunes. Those songs will not even play on the music app on my phone. All the other music works perfect. Anybody know what is going on with this?
Do they play on the music app when NOT on bluetooth? If not, while I don't have an answer, the issue isn't going to be Sync related.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:51 AM   #22
B.A.T
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Quote:
Do they play on the music app when NOT on bluetooth? If not, while I don't have an answer, the issue isn't going to be Sync related.
Thanks for that!
Such basic troubleshooting but in the excitement over my new truck I didn't think about that. For some reason my music purchased through iTunes showed up on my music app. All the songs were there and I even tried to re-download them from the cloud with no luck. After plugging into my iMac and transferring music via iTunes it works. Not really sure why this happened but at this point I'm just happy it works.
B.A.T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:54 PM   #23
Stang13
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzohyeah View Post
Ok, so I have the opposite issue, and I'm hoping someone's figured this out. Everytime I get in my truck, I have to say "Bluetooth audio" then pick a song to play. This is extremely aggravating since when I first bought it, it auto-played the last bluetooth audio song from when I left the truck. I am not sure what's happened, but this is really aggravating. All I listen to is Bluetooth Audio, so I have to say it out loud every time I get in the truck to activate it.

Every time I climb in and start my 2011 F-150 up, the radio says LINE IN. I have NEVER used Line In, but it always defaults to that. Do you know why this is happening or how I can get it back to auto-playing bluetooth audio?

Thanks
I have exact same problem. Did you ever figure it out and fix it???
Stang13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:02 PM   #24
Fleurdebee
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Same exact issue as lrock. I have a 2012 VW Passat. I want to stop it from playing music on phone so as not to drain the battery. The issue is it playing on phone. I figured out how to turn off the auto play in the car itself so that it does not actually play the Bluetooth audio through car speakers unless I select that source. Music still auto plays on phone itself.
Fleurdebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 PM   #25
theleonard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
iPhone 5 with Sync

2012 F-150 here. I love using Bluetooth with iPhone for playing music. Worked perfect in my previous Toyota.

My issue is this. Despite my iPhone always being connected to BT for calls, which is great, in order to get music playing from my iPhone to the Sync, I have to select the source every time. I've set it as the default phone for the truck. Sometimes I will play music, and it shows that AirPlay is sending it to Sync, but nothing will play. I have to manually select the iPhone again.
Frustrating, because I rarely use the radio, and mainly use my iPhone for entertainment in the truck.

Any suggestions?
theleonard is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Any way to pass iPhone audio notifications through bluetooth audio to car speakers? shenan1982 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 25 Jul 7, 2014 12:22 PM
iPhone 5S, Bluetooth MAP and Ford SYNC Gen 1 3.2.2 skorpien iPhone 0 Oct 26, 2013 05:12 AM
Ford sync myford touch issue w/ bluetooth audio streaming eye.surgeon iPhone 7 Aug 3, 2013 07:57 PM
Sync with ford Mrjmclj iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 May 10, 2013 07:29 PM
Ford Sync Problems DSPfisher iPhone 49 Feb 21, 2013 04:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC