Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, Premier and Home & Business Free

Basic

Deluxe

Premier

Home & Business

Direct from TurboTax (intuit.com). I have only tested with Deluxe.

Screenshots
Screen Shot 2012-01-01 at 11.29.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-01-01 at 11.53.19 PM.png

Last edited:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
thats the online version. the downloadable versions are same as the boxed versions.

----------

nope. I installed deluxe from the link in my first post and then posted the screenshots from it.

Hmm AFAIK, you will have to pay when you get to the final step in the filing process. The same goes for the Windows version and the iOS version.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
nope. I installed deluxe from the link in my first post and then posted the screenshots from it.
You're right, it costs nothing to install. As shown by GGJ, it will cost you 29.99 and up to file the federal tax return and you still have to pay for the state.

I'm not seeing how this could be "free"

Edit. It clearly shows pay when you file.

Last edited:

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Hmm AFAIK, you will have to pay when you get to the final step in the filing process. The same goes for the Windows version and the iOS version.

The screenshots are from my mac (showing free e-file). You can believe what you want. Try or don't. Doesn't matter to me.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
You're right, it costs nothing to install. As shown by GGJ, it will cost you 29.99 and up to file the federal tax return and you still have to pay for the state.

I'm not seeing how this could be "free"

Edit. It clearly shows pay when you file.

No. It shows free e-file.

Another screenshot.
Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 12.53.21 PM.png

Last edited:

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Folks, intuit is currently offering on line versions of those titles for free. Federal filing by efile is also free. If you want to file federal in the traditional manner, it will cost. If you need to file state in any manner, it will cost.

It's a deal, but not by much for the average filer.

Addendum: Never mind, free versions available earlier are gone. Now they are offering discounted versions. Not much to see here...
http://turbotax.intuit.com/microsite/home.jsp?priorityCode=3468346088&cid=all_bofa-searchpg1_aff_3468346088&_requestid=6091

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Another screenshot.
View attachment 318254

Maybe there is a charge for state. I wouldn't know as I live in Texas (no state income tax).
You still haven't reached the end of the process, as evidenced by the grey progress arrows at the top. Also, you've selected not to file your return, which means you haven't completed the process.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
The "Start for Free, Pay when you File" links are for the ONLINE version of TurboTax. The CD/downable version of TurboTax includes the 5 free federal efiles.

Info on the online versus download version. Reference the right column.
http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/#go_tt_cd

shows deluxe, premier and home & business as including state as well

payment must be when you have more than 5 e-files

----------

You still haven't reached the end of the process, as evidenced by the grey progress arrows at the top. Also, you've selected not to file your return, which means you haven't completed the process.

I hope above clears this up.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Obviously don't have w2 yet, geez.
Well then you can't say you can file for free. Intuit's own site states that you pay when you file - that's my point. You're mistaken in the fact that intuit is letting people get turbotax for free, and allowing them to file for free especially when the weight of evidence is against you.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The "Start for Free, Pay when you File" links are for the ONLINE version of TurboTax. The CD/downable version of TurboTax includes the 5 free federal efiles.
... and you also have to pay for the CD/downloadable version in advance. Nothing is free.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Well then you can't say you can file for free. Intuit's own site states that you pay when you file - that's my point. You're mistaken in the fact that intuit is letting people get turbotax for free, and allowing them to file for free especially when the weight of evidence is against you.

Only the online version do you pay when you file, unless you exceed the 5 free e-files or have to file state income tax in more than one state.

I understand your point though, so until an e-file is submitted, there is no positive proof. I certainly will do my best to update when I file.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
They have always offered free downloads. You pay at the time you file. Nothing has changed.

Not sure why this is sounding like an "argument" and I sure as hell have nothing to gain, but I'll try one more time...

Earlier today intuit was offering "free" versions of their on-line products. "Free" included e-filing of 5 federal returns.

No extra charge at the end provided you were e-filing and only 5 or fewer Federal returns.

If you wanted to file your Federal return manually, you would be charged extra. If you wanted any state products, you would be charged as well.

Regardless, it appears that offer has been replaced with the current "discount".

Believe it or not, argue it or not--neither will change what it was nor what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.