Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
What's with that? I mean, what if I don't want a steam account with spam and all? Why do I need to sign up with my details on Steam just to play Skyrim? Can I cancel the Steam account and still play it?

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Because they say so.

That's seriously the only answer that matters.

As for "a steam account with spam and all" I have never received any spam of any sort from Steam. Never. The only emails I receive from Steam are the receipts for games that I buy.

Ov3rlord Falc0r

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Idk I'm with the OP on this one. I hate how all the games nowadays are forcing sign up for stuff. Steam, EA Origin, Battle.net and stuff like that. More of an annoyance seeing as I can tell then no emails. Just frustrating having to have yet another login info to remember.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
It's just like the App Store or the iTunes Store, but for games.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
And they help redownload the games if you lose the discs. I have moved a few times over the years and some how lost a few of my game discs. With Steam and Battle.net I can just log into their services and redownload my games I have tied to my accounts.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It acts like a DRM. That's why they do this.

The important thing with DRM once you buy it, your name is stamped on it forever. There is no resale as you can with console titles. True you don't have the mod flexibility as you would playing the PC version, so there is a trade off. One of the few areas I'm happy with Microsoft, is how they handle 360 DRM (digital rights management).

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Because they say so.

That's seriously the only answer that matters.

Yep. Close thread.

I'm an avid Steamer and have never received an email except to confirm using Steam on a new computer (email code to verify, just like my bank does [Chase]) or when I purchase something. They won't spam you, don't worry. You will freely accept Apple's sandbox(es) without worry, but not Steam's, which is more user friendly?

There's always great games on sale or even free. I received Portal for free, another game for $2.49, etc. Steam's the best, just embrace it.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
No, it is a good answer. It's their product, and they can put any restrictions on it that they want. They feel that if you don't like it, don't buy it. It's the terms of the purchase.

Realistically, they use it for copy protection. Most other copy protection schemes don't work, but this one does. A ton of people gave the Bethesda games negative ratings on Amazon because of Steam, but I can live with it. Yeah, it sucks if you are away from an internet connection, but most of the time it doesn't bother me. Plus, they have killer sales. I picked up several games for 50% or more off during their holiday sales. And I have never had them spam me. As others have said, the only emails I get are purchase receipts.

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
No, it is a good answer. It's their product, and they can put any restrictions on it that they want. They feel that if you don't like it, don't buy it. It's the terms of the purchase.

Realistically, they use it for copy protection. Most other copy protection schemes don't work, but this one does. A ton of people gave the Bethesda games negative ratings on Amazon because of Steam, but I can live with it. Yeah, it sucks if you are away from an internet connection, but most of the time it doesn't bother me. Plus, they have killer sales. I picked up several games for 50% or more off during their holiday sales. And I have never had them spam me. As others have said, the only emails I get are purchase receipts.

It's too easy to say "because they say so". There is an answer and you have the right one. There is always an explanation for an action. People just need to think a little more. Bethesda doesn't require you to link Skyrim to Steam just to make you angry...

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
What's with that? I mean, what if I don't want a steam account with spam and all? Why do I need to sign up with my details on Steam just to play Skyrim? Can I cancel the Steam account and still play it?

Steam never sends me e-mails unless it's receipts.

In fact, the only people who spam me are the people who DON'T require accounts to buy from them (e.g. Amazon, Best Buy). iTunes, OnLive, Steam, never get e-mails.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
The important thing with DRM once you buy it, your name is stamped on it forever. There is no resale as you can with console titles. True you don't have the mod flexibility as you would playing the PC version, so there is a trade off. One of the few areas I'm happy with Microsoft, is how they handle 360 DRM (digital rights management).

But I can buy a 360 game, and when I sell it, the same PC version probably would have cost me less. EG: Buy a 360 game for $90, sell it for $40 if I'm lucky, probably even less. Or buy the PC version for $40-50. Win.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
But I can buy a 360 game, and when I sell it, the same PC version probably would have cost me less. EG: Buy a 360 game for $90, sell it for $40 if I'm lucky, probably even less. Or buy the PC version for $40-50. Win.

$90 360 game what?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
For the same reasons you have keys for your car and house, or why you have an iTunes account, or why you have user accounts on your computer.

(good) DRM isn't about locking you to hardware, it's about locking to your account. And you prove to the system you're who you say you are - then you can play your Steam games.

You don't get spam from Steam. I've been a member since ~2004 and the only emails I've had are receipts. You could even sign up with a fake email address if you don't want any account security (such as retrieving a stolen account) and no receipts.

I adore Steam and what they've done. I spent £90 recently and picked up loads of new games. That's the price of 2 console games here that do have resale value, but are console versions so they're limited in terms of mod support, graphic options, control options etc.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
I will always purchase on steam instead of the app store if the same game is offered in both.

Why do you have to sign up to the Apple App store using your Apple-ID? Why do you have to authorise computers in iTunes and/or Apples App store? Steam works in exactly the same way. Except its far superior.

Their client is leagues ahead of anything apple has to offer in terms of user friendliness. The trophy system makes PSN/GameCentre/etc look amateurish. Their instant messaging, and ability to invite friends into games is seamless. Not to mention it offers you the opportunity to play a game in either Mac or Windows with the single purchase. (AND there is a limited trade system and a good gift system to transferring game ownership).

Why would an avid mac user want a game that can be played in bootcamp/parallels? A classic example. How many here bought Assassins Creed Brotherhood via MacUpdate (heck why do you need to sign up with them?) or similar - found gamepads weren't supported, and their purchase couldn't translate over to windows and were stuck with an experience that was simply second rate? I can put my hand up on this one - not originally buying on steam was a major mistake. I now own all the AC's on steam, have enjoyed a great gaming experience in parallels and bootcamp - while I wait for Ubisoft to perhaps one day support their Mac ports better (as I would rather play on Mac than anything else).

I have received no spam from Steam or Valve. I *have* received spam from Apple.

I think Valve with their Mac ports of Portal 1/2, Team fortress, Left4Dead 1/2 and so forth .... and finally giving us the Steam client for mac.. Have done more for gaming on this platform than anyone else. (Heck when they were giving Portal 1 away for free - most Mac gamers were in awe). They aren't some johnny-come-lately. They are the corner stone of many people's gaming world. It is the PC equivalent of Xbox-Live or PSN. If you can't figure out why you need an account, then so be it. If you are looking to buy a single game on steam, have never used it before, and think signing up is lame - I can see your logic. But you haven't experienced the complete system, and perhaps you don't want too - thats fine. For those of us that live on the thing, signing up for Steam is no less bizarre that signing up to any of Apple's, Sonys or Microsofts gaming offerings.

Lastly, if you are worried about spam. Why not create a separate email address for steam that you never check? Whats the big deal? I did that for the Cydia store on iOS, since they felt it necessary to "know" all my google contacts. Not gonna happen. But a separate email address for cydia solved that nicely.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

For Australia that makes sense. In the States the prices are about the same for PC vs Console. :)

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
The only real downside to Steam that I have experienced is about 30% failure rate on "Offline Mode" (Gives a message that it MUST connect to steam, yadda yadda) - which is extremely rare as I rarely have my connection go down.

However, once it settles in, it does fine - once played for two weeks in offline mode due to a LAN issue (puppy was into networking, who knew?)

On the developers side, Steam is nice as DRM

On our side is the fact that, as mentioned, unless you give it away (if it's a "tradeable" game) you can download it again any number of times.

Rarely a deveoper releases a patch that causes issues (Think it was Dragon Age that had a "requires disk" check included in a patch, even for Direct Download copies of the game) but overall I think I've had less issues with Steam than Gmail :)

Do note all games installed via the steam client will go to the Steam folder, so don't put it on a drive with limited space.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Steam is a great service. I never receive spam from them.

You can go offline mode.

$90 360 game what?

He's in Australia. Not USD.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
That's $90 Australian not US.

1 USD < 1 AUD. ie, it should cost less here.

It's not the exchange rate. We just get screwed here in the Land of Oz for some unknown reason, and have to pay literally twice as much for computer games and many other similar things.

ie, various high rank titles (eg Skyrim) = $90 on Steam, or ~$100 in a store. Or get it shipped from overseas for $45. WTF?

It must be price-fixing. Which I thought was illegal.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Plus, they have killer sales.

Boy, do they...

... I picked-up Arkham Ayslum for £3.50 well over a year ago, long before you could accuse them of doing it to promote Arkham City. Dead Space, £4.99, at around the same time. BioShock, £2.50. And their multipacks are genius: the Id Complete Pack (Commander Keen, Wolfenstein, Spear of Destiny, the first three Dooms, the first three Quakes, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, plus the crappy ones like Heretic and Hexen) cost me £39. Yeah, okay, so I'm not gonna play some of those games ever; but most of them, I have done.

I was resistant to Steam, at first. Didn't get an account until two years ago. Honestly, my friends; just give in.

Maverick513

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Those things are really not for users’ convenience. They want to kill the pirates, and collect the user information to expand their market.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Those things are really not for users’ convenience. They want to kill the pirates, and collect the user information to expand their market.

Was that a reply to my previous post? Frankly, mate, they can have my "user information", if it means I can have excellent games for cheap. It's not like I don't get anything out of it.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Steam is a great service. I never receive spam from them.

You can go offline mode.

I wasn't aware of that. Then again, my gaming machine isn't very portable, so I don't take it many places where I may not be online. :)

Boy, do they...

... I picked-up Arkham Ayslum for £3.50 well over a year ago, long before you could accuse them of doing it to promote Arkham City. Dead Space, £4.99, at around the same time. BioShock, £2.50. And their multipacks are genius: the Id Complete Pack (Commander Keen, Wolfenstein, Spear of Destiny, the first three Dooms, the first three Quakes, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, plus the crappy ones like Heretic and Hexen) cost me £39. Yeah, okay, so I'm not gonna play some of those games ever; but most of them, I have done.

I was resistant to Steam, at first. Didn't get an account until two years ago. Honestly, my friends; just give in.

Yeah, I grabbed L.A. Noire for $12 and a few older games for $4 or $5 a pop. It's addicting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.