Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's January Event to Focus on Publishing and eBooks

A rumored Apple event to be located in New York City later this month was originally reported to be "media-related" and not about an Apple television or iPad update. TechCrunch now reports the event will be focused on publishing and the iBookstore.
Quote:
According to the source the event will not involve any hardware at and instead will focus on publishing and eBooks (sold through Apple's iBooks platform) rather than iAds. Attendance also be more publishing industry-oriented than consumer.
One possible topic of the event is an expansion of the iBookstore to sell textbooks. In his biography of Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson said the textbook industry was one Jobs looking to revolutionize with the iPad.

Article Link: Apple's January Event to Focus on Publishing and eBooks
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Inakto
macrumors regular

textbooks

10 Hour battery + textbook on iBookstore = Very light schoolbag
Inakto is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Well, I never really expected that because iBooks hasn't exactly felt like an important part of iOS. Maybe Apple's looking to change that?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:41 PM   #4
mp0890
macrumors regular

Maybe I'll wait until then to buy books for this semester...
mp0890 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:41 PM   #5
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Makes sense. I wouldn't expect a NY-based event to be anything major. It's not Apple's home turf, but is the publishing capital of the US.
DTphonehome is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:41 PM   #6
backinblack875
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to backinblack875
an media event for ibooks?? doubt it. Gotta be something else
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:43 PM   #7
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
I will have to wait and see on this one. If it is text books, it makes sense that apple try to reach the biggest college audience possible with an announcement. Don't see why it has to be in NYC yet though.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I will stick with the local library.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Sankersizzle
macrumors 6502a

Well this is disappointing, although, I'm not sure what I was expecting.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

Isn't this something Apple touted when the first iPad came out ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:53 PM   #11
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblack875 View Post
an media event for ibooks?? doubt it. Gotta be something else
Introduction of "The Daily" had its own media event. Besides, who says it's going to be just about iBooks. Maybe they scored some compelling magazine partnerships. I would personally love to see foray into textbooks as well.

If Apple is smart, they can totally undercut Barnes & Noble and Amazon by scoring some major "print media" deals and further expanding iBookstore and Newsstand.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Tinyluph
macrumors regular

iBooks for Mac?
Tinyluph is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:55 PM   #13
backinblack875
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to backinblack875
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskiegangsta View Post
Introduction of "The Daily" had its own media event. Besides, who says it's going to be just about iBooks. Maybe they scored some compelling magazine partnerships. I would personally love to see foray into textbooks as well.

If Apple is smart, they can totally undercut Barnes & Noble and Amazon by scoring some major "print media" deals and further expanding iBookstore and Newsstand.
true, but the daily was held by the daily, not apple.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:56 PM   #14
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Current textbook apps for iPad are very bad. I expect Apple not only to unvail iPublishing, but a new TextBook app to defeat all current apps. It will become THE way college students study. Imagine having a searchable annotations per textbook instead of having to use little sticky notes!
smoledman is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:58 PM   #15
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Hopefully we will be able to read iBooks on our macs now, its kind of ridiculous that you need an iOS device to read a book and that a beautiful 11, 13, 21, or 27 inch screen on a Mac is deemed unworthy of displaying text.

A web-based interface would also be nice if someone decides to use another platform for mobile devices, kind of like Amazon now provides.

Apple needs be as ubiquitous as Amazon in this department to catch up. Otherwise, even Apple fans like me will buy books from Amazon forever.

(I feel safer buying from Amazon Kindle store since I know I can always access/read my Amazon content from anywhere and any device, where as with iBooks I know I'll only be able to read them on my iPad/iPhone).
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:04 PM   #16
ferdinandcc
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
Current textbook apps for iPad are very bad. I expect Apple not only to unvail iPublishing, but a new TextBook app to defeat all current apps. It will become THE way college students study. Imagine having a searchable annotations per textbook instead of having to use little sticky notes!
Inkling is very nice. I'd love to hear that they purchased Inkling and are incorporating its functionality into iBooks (as long as they can do it without ruining the experience).
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:04 PM   #17
codyc815
macrumors member

If it does involve textbooks, I wish they would have done it earlier in the month. Classes for me start on January 17, and I'll probably have my books bought by then. They're missing a large window by doing it a week after classes start.
codyc815 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:08 PM   #18
corymcnulty
macrumors newbie

Part of me says Apple will announce a feature that would allow users that paid a certain amount of money to read any book they want in the iBooks library. It would be like an online library.
corymcnulty is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:09 PM   #19
KPOM
macrumors G3

Maybe they will also expand iBooks to work on Macs and PCs? That's one big advantage that the Kindle platform has over iBooks right now.
KPOM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:11 PM   #20
Worf
macrumors regular

As a college student, considering how popular Apple products are with us, and our collective hatred for overencumbering textbooks, digital textbooks would be a welcome change. Hopefully these eBooks would be accompanied by an iBooks app for Windows/Mac desktops.
How to decide whether to buy into Android or iOS - Here
Worf is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:12 PM   #21
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyc815 View Post
If it does involve textbooks, I wish they would have done it earlier in the month. Classes for me start on January 17, and I'll probably have my books bought by then. They're missing a large window by doing it a week after classes start.
From the techcrunch piece:

Quote:
Attendance will also be more publishing industry-oriented than consumer.
I don't think they will be releasing much, if anything, for consumers at this event. It's for the publishers.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:12 PM   #22
Object-X
macrumors 6502a

iTextbooks

Sure hope this is true and that Apple can apply the same rules to textbooks as to regular ebooks. E-Textbooks sort of suck right now. I don't like the renting model. Charging over $200 for a single textbook is a rip off, and charging over $100 for 6 months of digital access isn't any better. At the very least they should give you the PDF copy. I wouldn't mind the rental model if it applied to all textbooks like the way some music services work.
Object-X is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:17 PM   #23
titan1um
macrumors newbie

iBooks on iCloud? iBooks for Mac? With synchronization with all devices, similar to the Kindle line of apps.
titan1um is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:26 PM   #24
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

As a college student, I have to say, unless the pricing is SUPER competitive, as in books are 50% less than I can purchase used, I'm gonna stick with paper. Why? Resale value. Can't resell an e-book too easily, now, can I?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:31 PM   #25
MisterK
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.1;FBBV/4100.0;FBDV/iPad2,3;FBMD/iPad;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/1; FBCR/Verizon;FBID/tablet;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

Maybe Apple will do for book publishing what they did for Podcasts. Only this time, you can sell your work. Maybe an update to Pages to allow easy ebooks for amateurs without publishing companies. The return of 'Zines and amateur comics, digital school and community newsletters. Add textbooks and now it's worthy of an event. I'd love to get my community newspaper in iBooks or Newstand.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion