Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I'm thinking about buying a battery case for my iphone 4 and I'd like to find something with a dock connector on the bottom rather than any kind of usb connector. The only ones I've found so far are the Incase Snap Battery Case (which isn't even listed on incase's site anymore) and this thing:

http://www.iwowcase.com/iphone-4-backup-battery-charger-with-clip-black-p-3451.html

The problems with this one are that I've never heard of this company (can't find a review anywhere) and it also appears that the dock connector on the bottom is backwards (meaning that if I dock my phone in my ihome at night, the screen will be facing away from me and that's useless to me). Are there any other battery cases that have the dock connector on the bottom for charging and syncing or am I basically SOL if that's what I want? I just can't see myself using one with a micro or mini usb port so if that's my only choice, I guess I'll just have to charge my phone more often.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
None that I know of other than the Incase Snap Battery and I have a ton of battery cases.

I believe that in order to avoid the patent Apple has on the dock connector it has to be backward hence the reason pretty much all cases go with a micro-usb.

You could try the Apple version of the Juice Pack Air from Mophie. The bottom completely comes off without removing the back portion of the case making it easily dockable for most docks. You would have to charge the battery portion seperately but it is better than completely removing the phone from the case every night.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
None that I know of other than the Incase Snap Battery and I have a ton of battery cases.

I believe that in order to avoid the patent Apple has on the dock connector it has to be backward hence the reason pretty much all cases go with a micro-usb.

You could try the Apple version of the Juice Pack Air from Mophie. The bottom completely comes off without removing the back portion of the case making it easily dockable for most docks. You would have to charge the battery portion seperately but it is better than completely removing the phone from the case every night.

Thanks for the info - that might be an acceptable compromise. Is that the only battery case that has a removable bottom like that for docking purposes?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Off the top of my head that is the only one.

That's too bad. I really prefer to have choices when it comes to buying things like this, and I'm surprised that there aren't more solutions that allow you to dock your phone. I'd still prefer to have an actual dock connector on the bottom but I guess this is the next best thing. I'm going to check out some reviews and see if it's worth the money.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
That's too bad. I really prefer to have choices when it comes to buying things like this, and I'm surprised that there aren't more solutions that allow you to dock your phone. I'd still prefer to have an actual dock connector on the bottom but I guess this is the next best thing. I'm going to check out some reviews and see if it's worth the money.

Agreed on the choices, but it is the nature of the beast when dealing with proprietary connectors.

As for the Juice Pack Air itself, it is a fine case. I have one. It isn't too heavy but does offer some decent protection though the top is exposed when compared to the other Juice Pack cases. The Air gives you between 70 and 75% more battery life so it won't fully charge it back up but it does give you a decent amount of juice though.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Wondering if I should hold off until CES next week. Mophie is bound to introduce something new and I'd hate to buy the "old" technology when something better is right around the corner. We'll see though.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
So I got the Mophie Juice Pack Air from Apple but I returned it. Even though it's obviously well made, I had some problems with it. First, it was way too big and bulky for me - I wasn't expecting it to add that much size to my phone. I understand that a battery case is going to add some bulk, but it was just too much for me. Because of the thickness of the case, the cutouts were really deep too so it was really difficult to get to the sleep button, the vibrate rocker and the volume buttons. Lastly, I didn't like that it was totally open on top - I prefer to have a little more protection than that.

I ended up ordering the Tekkeon myPower from Amazon and I really like it so far. It's definitely slimmer and lighter than the Mophie (smaller battery though) and it feels much better in my hand. It has a matte finish and a soft-touch feel to it, and the buttons are very easy to get to since the case is significantly slimmer than the Mophie. Probably the only thing that I don't like about it is the way the LED on the case works. First, when you have the case powered on, that light stays on - seems silly and unnecessary to me and it could be annoying too. Also, that light is supposed to tell you how much battery life you have left but it's not very detailed (blue means you have 20-100% battery life remaining and red means that you have 1-20% battery life remaining). I much preferred Mophie's system of pressing a button and then looking at the 4 LEDs to see how much battery life you have left (full, 3/4, etc.). Despite that, I really love this case so far. It's dockable just like the Mophie (bottom piece is removable) and I'd rather have a slimmer case with less battery capacity than a bulky case that makes my phone feel like a brick.

What I need in a battery case is something that can get me through those last couple of hours during a day when I'm using my phone a lot. I charge my phone every night so I don't need anything that can get me through a whole weekend without having to charge. The Tekkeon is definitely working for me so far but we'll see how it holds up over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.