Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrackZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
I'm experimenting with my ATV2 and the iTunes video store to see if I want to start buying TV show content there vs DVD/Blu-ray releases on disc. I'm curious if anyone has answers to the following questions:

If I playback a file from my PC's iTunes home share, I get local playback of the full resolution file as purchased/downloaded. If instead though I go to TV Shows -> Purchased and launch a show from there, it should be streaming from Apple's servers, correct?

If it is streaming from Apple's servers, am I getting the full resolution file exactly the same as if I had downloaded it for home share streaming? So there's no loss of quality or anything to playback via this method?

The ATV2 must be buffering the show. I noticed if I start playback via the Home Share for a bit, then stop, and start playback through iCloud, that the downloaded buffer seems to remain the same. It looks like it truly is buffering the full resolution file from either source based on where I initiate playback from. If so, that's pretty slick and smart.

Then playback just becomes a choice of burning up internet bandwidth or needing the computer on and iTunes running. I'm surprised that the UI is different through for the two areas. I actually like the interface in the TV Shows section better. It gives more episode information and actually shows the individual episode thumbnails.

Thanks. I think I'm pretty close to spending my money via iTunes. I just wish they'd go real 1080p, get some HD Audio (TrueHD/DTS-MA) support, and fill out there offerings. There's a fair number of shows lacking seasons and some show categories not series complete as well.

dnelms

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
McGee's Crossroads, NC
One thing to keep in mind when making these decisions. Does your ISP have caps or limits that it starts to throttle your connection? If iTunes was to get 1080p content and you had the bandwidth to stream it flawlessly, it's gonna eat up a chunk of data with a full-length film.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.