Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
monkeymann
macrumors newbie

LCD temperature sensor broken- fan going wild

so i've messed up my fans taking in and out hard drives, the whole imac fell off my desk, what?!@
atm my fan is going crazy so 1st question.. is it ok to use for now? it's not going to blow up in my face or anything?? the computer itself is thankfully still fully operational

2nd question, the part that broke, it's not the actual sensor, it's the little 2 legged holder that it slots into.. those 2 legs have been bent out of shape a little and i've tried working on them but best i can manage is to slot the sensor in only 1/2 way.. wasn't good enough, fans still blaring..

i know a few of you have had similar issues, how difficult is it to source these components? my friend is pretty handy with a solder iron if it comes to it

as usual, all help appreciated

btw, it's an imac 27", one of the latest models

Last edited by monkeymann; Jan 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: imac 27"
monkeymann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
itszackry
macrumors newbie

Download SMC fan control
itszackry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Menge
macrumors 6502a

Did you change the hard drives? Or just put the same ones back? The current iMac's fans go crazy when you replace the hard drives with non-factory models due to some different sensors that Apple bundles in their HDs. There are programs that help with this, I think.

But if you're positive it's the display sensor, then I don't know.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:30 AM   #4
monkeymann
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menge View Post
Did you change the hard drives? Or just put the same ones back? The current iMac's fans go crazy when you replace the hard drives with non-factory models due to some different sensors that Apple bundles in their HDs. There are programs that help with this, I think.

But if you're positive it's the display sensor, then I don't know.
yeah i'm aware of that HD fan issue but i'm positive it's the display sensor thingy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itszackry
Download SMC fan contro
i'm assuming i could completely turn off the fans using this program, i like the sound of that , but then we have to worry about over-heating i presume?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:33 AM   #5
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymann View Post
yeah i'm aware of that HD fan issue but i'm positive it's the display sensor thingy!

i'm assuming i could completely turn off the fans using this program, i like the sound of that , but then we have to worry about over-heating i presume?
Nah, just read up and ask iMac users what speed the fans are. Idle it is 2000 RPM so I would just keep it as 3500 RPM?
Download Here
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Rokeneer
macrumors regular

Quote:

I use that on all my computers. I normally keep them about 50% fan speed to keep it cool, but still keep the fans quiet. If you set SMC to a low setting, it will automatically sense the temperature and increase the fan speed from your setting as needed to keep it cool. No need to worry about over-heating!
Rokeneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:39 AM   #7
monkeymann
macrumors newbie

i've just booted up and the fans are whirring away, below are the result SMC results:

23degrees celcius

odd: 3455 (rpm)
hdd: 1152
cpu: 3924

i'm not sure if you guys get my issue? i dunno.. how can SMC control the fan speed if the damn sensor ain't even working.. i've tried fiddling with those smc controls but the fan noise hasn't changed
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Rokeneer
macrumors regular

Quote:
i've just booted up and the fans are whirring away, below are the result SMC results:

23degrees celcius

odd: 3455 (rpm)
hdd: 1152
cpu: 3924
make a low setting in preferences, and set SMC to that
Rokeneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:42 AM   #9
monkeymann
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokeneer View Post
make a low setting in preferences, and set SMC to that
they were all set to min. Speed by default
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:30 PM   #10
monkeymann
macrumors newbie

rpm speeds remain the same, smc didn't appear to work

Last edited by monkeymann; Jan 3, 2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: being an idiot
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:31 AM   #11
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502

Quote:
rpm speeds remain the same, smc didn't appear to work
smc doesn't work, it only sets the minimum speeds of the fans. We need a program that sets the maximum speeds. But there isn't one (for good reasons, people would download it and fry their computers).
If you ever find a way to slow down the fans, a speed of about 1500-2000 should give you a good balance of cooling and quiet. That was what my fans were set at before I damaged my sensor (they were slightly higher than normal because if I left my fans at default, my hard drive would get to 60 degrees C + and I used to get kernel panics). Default is around 1000 I think, but that is too low for a maximum fan setting.
iPhone 5 64GB Black
fruitpunch.ben is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac