Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

View Poll Results: What is your primary email service?
iCloud 94 22.01%
Microsoft Exchange (excluding Google Sync/ActiveSync) 20 4.68%
Hotmail/ActiveSync 17 3.98%
Gmail/Google Sync 231 54.10%
Yahoo 24 5.62%
AOL 2 0.47%
Other 39 9.13%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4, 2012, 05:13 AM   #101
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtstarck View Post
The fact that iCloud can't keep badge counts updated across devices (is that ActiveSync?) is a dealbreaker for me.
That appears to be an icloud issue, as google sync and other exchange-based interfaces don't seem to have trouble updating the badge count. Google sync updates the badge count pretty quickly, although other exchange-based services may take a few minutes.
TLewis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 05:16 AM   #102
felixgun
macrumors member

Gmail FTW.
Old May 4, 2012, 05:32 AM   #103
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
I went from Gmail (contacts, calendar and email) to iCloud, once it was available. Before I did that, I was working with the two together. My Google data ended up with a blank calendar, a total disaster in contacts (old, deleted, duplicated data), and an increasingly less-secure email delivery system.
While I agree with you about the privacy issues, google does make it easy to backup your data (contacts, calendars, etc., etc.). With icloud, backing up icloud data can be a pain (step 2 of backing up an icloud calendar from the web involves publicly sharing your calendar -- seriously??? ).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemo View Post
thanks, Ill check it out!
If you trust microsoft, also check out the various office365 plans. It's significantly cheaper than rackspace, but it does have one big issue: password aging (see my rant above in post #75). While it can be turned off, it's a pain.
Old May 4, 2012, 05:32 AM   #104
kemo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLewis View Post
While I agree with you about the privacy issues, google does make it easy to backup your data (contacts, calendars, etc., etc.). With icloud, backing up icloud data can be a pain (step 2 of backing up an icloud calendar from the web involves publicly sharing your calendar -- seriously??? ).
Why would you need to backup data from Cloud (iCloud, Google) ? The only reason I would see to just move to a different provider, otherwise I dont see a reason to backup...
Old May 4, 2012, 05:42 AM   #105
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemo View Post
Why would you need to backup data from Cloud (iCloud, Google) ? The only reason I would see to just move to a different provider, otherwise I dont see a reason to backup...
Sometimes:
  • Something happens, and your cloud data gets corrupted, as has happened to Arelunde (see post #98).
  • You have a brain fart and accidentally mangle your data. (I've done this, and saved my *** by having backups. )
  • A bug in some program mangles your data.
  • Your cloud provider cuts you off. Yes, this does happen, and you might have done nothing to cause this. Sometimes, the cloud provider screws up and cuts you off, and sometimes someone hacks (or merely tries hacking) into your account, prompting the provider to shut you down.
The "cloud" isn't magical. You still need to backup your cloud data. Anyone who doesn't think so is deluding themself.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:01 AM   #106
kemo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLewis View Post
Sometimes:
  • Something happens, and your cloud data gets corrupted, as has happened to Arelunde (see post #98).
  • You have a brain fart and accidentally mangle your data. (I've done this, and saved my *** by having backups. )
  • A bug in some program mangles your data.
  • Your cloud provider cuts you off. Yes, this does happen, and you might have done nothing to cause this. Sometimes, the cloud provider screws up and cuts you off, and sometimes someone hacks (or merely tries hacking) into your account, prompting the provider to shut you down.
The "cloud" isn't magical. You still need to backup your cloud data. Anyone who doesn't think so is deluding themself.

Hmm okay, those are strong arguments, then Im going to backup all my data to another cloud as well + save them to my NAS locally

By the way, thanks for sum up!
Old May 4, 2012, 09:22 AM   #107
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
iCloud - had it from MobileMe free trials.

Syncs great between my Macs, iPhone & iPad.

Have two second Gmail ones though....one forwards to iCloud and the other I just visit on the web browser.
kirky29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:06 PM   #108
Vesperal
macrumors newbie

Last edited by Vesperal; Nov 13, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Vesperal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:08 PM   #109
macingman
macrumors 68020

Used to use MobileMe but it was to difficult/slow to use so I switched to Gmail and have never looked back. Gmail also works with my Android phone also.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:01 PM   #110
anyjungleinguy
macrumors regular

firstname@lastname

Use my own domain, route it through Google Apps. Got multiple domain aliases that route to the same address as well like firstnamelastname.tld etc. Being a personal domain I can switch providers any time without losing data.

Hook my iOS devices to Google through Exchange/Active Sync for push.

I also use an iCloud for certain backup services. Mostly things that I'd need in the event of a failure with either my domain's name servers or something on Google's end.

Then I've got a Hotmail that I don't use, but keep active and my university email address which ofc runs on Exchange.
anyjungleinguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 04:17 PM   #111
Rychy
macrumors 6502

iCloud from MobileMe. I consider my iCloud address and aliases my main email, very picky about who I give those addresses too. I use a gmail account a lot of random things.
Old May 5, 2012, 08:22 PM   #112
App Downloader
macrumors member

I have a Gmail (for work), Hotmail (MSN, Facebook, friends), 2 Yahoo!'s (a @yahoo.com for filling in forms I don't trust and a @ymail.com for work), and an iCloud (never really use it)
App Downloader is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier