Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Edge1978
macrumors regular

iPhone Crash

I've had my 4S since Dec 23. It was working perfectly fine until Christmas Eve I was taking a picture of my Moms tree and then my iPhone just shut off. I tried to turn it back on but it gave me the dead battery signal. I knew my battery was below 20% but I didn't remember receiving the 10% warning. After I left my Moms I plugged my iPhone into the car charger and it immediately booted up and it showed 14% battery remaining. I had no idea what happened so I figured once I get home I will plug it into my wall charger and do a hard reset while it's plugged it.

It worked fine for the remainder of the holiday. Until yesterday, I was texting a lot and receiving texts and all of a sudden my springboard crashed.

Has anyone else had this trouble? Is there an app that will tell me what causes the crash? I know when you are jailbroken you have the Crash Reporter app, but seeing It's a 4S and not jailbroken, I am not sure what app I can use
Edge1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Go to Settings>General>About>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. If you have any entries with 'panic.plist' in the titles, You're experiencing kernel panics which usually means you have faulty hardware of some sort. If that's the case, take it to an Apple Store and they'll help you with receiving a new iPhone free of charge.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Edge1978
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
Go to Settings>General>About>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. If you have any entries with 'panic.plist' in the titles, You're experiencing kernel panics which usually means you have faulty hardware of some sort. If that's the case, take it to an Apple Store and they'll help you with receiving a new iPhone free of charge.
Thanks I did what you said and went into Diagnostics and Usage Data but all of the entries are labled as awdd_ and then the date and time. It's every day/ almost every hour since 12-27 not sure what happened to 12/23-12/26. Does my iPhone log everything or is that how many errors my iPhone is getting. I didn't see any labels with panic.plist.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

If you have it set to automatically send diagnostics data to Apple, then yes your iPhone will log much more activity than if you have it turned off. If it is turned off then it only logs the crashes.

If the springboard crashes again I would consider DFU restoring as new with a fresh download of the latest iOS. If the battery fails like that again I would suggest taking it to an Apple store or calling an Apple Customer Service Representative.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 02:16 PM   #5
CotaFloata
macrumors newbie

Have had the same issue. Posting a topic about it yesterday as well. Sounds like the exact same thing as mine. Used to be limited to running processes but now I can't get the phone back on without plugging up.

Am probably going to Apple again tomorrow. Had an appointment yesterday and they said my battery was fine. Have restored and done other things that have been suggested to no avail. Will let you know if I find a fix...

I will check out my diagnostics once I get to a place where I can plug up
CotaFloata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Edge1978
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
If you have it set to automatically send diagnostics data to Apple, then yes your iPhone will log much more activity than if you have it turned off. If it is turned off then it only logs the crashes.

If the springboard crashes again I would consider DFU restoring as new with a fresh download of the latest iOS. If the battery fails like that again I would suggest taking it to an Apple store or calling an Apple Customer Service Representative.
Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

I had it set to Off to send Data to Apple, but I don't remember it crashing THAT much LOL
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:26 AM   #7
edgeyted
macrumors newbie

Hi, I have what sounds like the same symptoms - on a 3GS.
Apple Store gave the stock advice of wiping and installing as a new phone. I haven't done this yet as I believe you tried this with no success?

I'm very curious to know whether you managed to track down the cause of the problem? - or whether the problem did in fact go away after a DFU new installation?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotaFloata View Post
Have had the same issue. Posting a topic about it yesterday as well. Sounds like the exact same thing as mine. Used to be limited to running processes but now I can't get the phone back on without plugging up.

Am probably going to Apple again tomorrow. Had an appointment yesterday and they said my battery was fine. Have restored and done other things that have been suggested to no avail. Will let you know if I find a fix...

I will check out my diagnostics once I get to a place where I can plug up
edgeyted is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

He never replied saying that he had no success with a DFU restore. Create a backup through iTunes/iCloud and then DFU restore and set up as new. If that doesn't work, then restore from your backup.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone