Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1
MacJackson
macrumors newbie

Best/easiest way to wipe/clear data from (non-JB) iPhone 4S?

I need to return my iPhone 4S to Apple and need to delete all my pics, data, etc. from it. Obviously I will take out the SIM card and I know about iwipe but from what I can tell so far that is only for jailbroken phones. I know about the Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings but from what I'm reading this isn't going to really prevent someone from finding whatever info is left on the phone if they really want to do it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this stuff cleared off? And if I do 'Erase all Content and Settings' do I have to do any restore before I send it back to Apple?
MacJackson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Restore it in iTunes.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
dotme
macrumors 6502a

1) Remove SIM and do not ever put it back in the phone
2) Erase all content and settings

If it's going back to Apple, they'll shred anything left on it anyway... so even residual data (If you believe there is any) should be gone at that point.
dotme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:42 PM   #4
MacJackson
macrumors newbie

Thanks to you both. Since it's going back to Apple, should I still restore it after I erase all content and settings? (Hmm, or is that even possible?)
MacJackson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Intell
macrumors P6

Just restore it without a SIM card and set it up as a new iPhone.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting