Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
sometimes my trackpad makes a metal tingy sound when clicked. sort of like theres a little loose piece of metal clanking against another piece of metal. is this just the way it may sound or is something loose? it doesn't feel loose or anything and the noise is not really noticeable either.

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I've never heard that on any of the Macbook Pro/Airs I've tested so there is probably something "wrong". Maybe it won't damage your computer but it sounds like something that shouldn't be happening is happening.

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
Yeah not sure what to say, but I would take it in to an Apple store if you have one close to you. If you don't have one close, I would very carefully clean the seam of the trackpad and the aluminum using a cotton ball lightly dampened with rubbing alcohol, going very easily, just trying to see if anything sticky or whatever could have gotten in there. Best of luck.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
its not sticky it only happens sometimes depending the way i hit it. sometimes it does it if i tap the trackpad with my finger kind of hard but without clicking it down. it makes like a very tiny and quick jingle sound. but it doesn't do it all the time and guaranteed if i brought it to the apple store it probably wouldn't do it or they would laugh at me. i guess ill just wait and see if it gets worse or not. right now its not effecting the functionality at all so...

and i plan on getting applecare and such too.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
yeah **** that. won't that void warrantee? and like i said it does not effect the functionality at all so ill leave it for if/when it becomes a problem.

i would want it fixed as soon as possible (Warrantee or not)if they are liable to fix it then, Of course. But, I know your tempted to unscrew that thing..lol
Good luck with it happle.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
i would want it fixed as soon as possible (Warrantee or not)if they are liable to fix it then, Of course. But, I know your tempted to unscrew that thing..lol
Good luck with it happle.

haha thanks man.

Zuriie

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
The Clicking

I don't know if you figured out the problem yet but my 15'' MPB also makes this tingy noise sometimes when clicking my trackpad. I have come to the conclusion that all of the excessive use of the space bar has loosened the contact points a little bit so it sorta jiggles when you click with the trackpad. I know how you feel a $2,700 laptop... the last thing you wanna deal with is some annoying clicking sound everytime you click the trackpad. It drives me absolutely insane.

On top of this more frequent clicking noise. I also have another, very metal, tingy sounding clicking at random times. As far as I can tell there is no specific trigger for this noise. It is completely random and very frustrating. After some research I think my HDD disk head is skipping sectors... So I think my hard drive is about to go bad..... AGAIN =(

Anyways... hope this helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.