Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoussef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Hi, i'm new here, I did a quick search couldn't find anything, so hopefully this hasn't been asked, I apologize in advance if it has.

I'm going to be getting an Apple TV 2 that I plan on jailbreaking, installing xbmc and some add-ons. I was wondering if it is possible to get live sports feeds (nhl, nfl, ...) without having to get any subscriptions, like nba league pass, etc. If it's possible, do I just install some add-ons?

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9Z999 Safari/7534.48.3)

there isnt anything great ive seen. Espn3 has some stuff.

eyoussef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Ok, thanks for the response. I heard about ESPN3, but I was also told it is possible to get some good sports streams, mainly standard def, but better then nothing. I'm just having no luck finding anything unless i'm willing to pay someone to do it for me because that information isn't free for some people.

TheRedOx

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
The SportsDevil add-on has pretty much everything you could think of. Almost everything I tried didn't work but a few did, one of which was a stream from an NBA game that was clearly subscription-based content. Picture quality was awful though. I've only been jailbroken for two days now though, perhaps someone who's done it longer can chime in. From what I gather, these guys have been having trouble recently and that's where a lot of the good stuff comes from, they're accessible via the SportsDevil add-on which is part of the MaxMustermann repo in XBMC.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I've not had much luck with live sports through any media player, other than what you get by subscription. MLB.tv on the ATV2 is superb to any other way of watching live baseball. Hopefully more of these types of apps will become available. Baseball is the primary sport we watch, so that's great for us. The other live sports I just get through regular TV. Most of the big games are live over the air in HD, so an antenna to the TV is probably the best way to go if you don't have cable.

snowwhite007

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Veetle has an add on lots of english premier and scottish football on it

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9Z999 Safari/7534.48.3)

ive been playing around with playon, i am gonna run some more plugins from playonscripts and will report back, some of the reviews from the 3rd party plugins sound really good.

eyoussef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for the responses!

ajohansson, I look forward to hearing about it, let us know! Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.