Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 4, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
theelysium
macrumors 6502

Question Alarm Clocks Apps That Leave Screen on...

I got the Stem Time Command alarm clock for Christmas. It is a nice clock, has a lot of unique features, but in order to use them I have to open their app and leave the app running, which is fine for me to leave the app running, however it blocks the phone's screen from locking.

Apparently all iPhone alarm clock developers have to do this or the app won't work and in turn the alarm clock won't work. Some stupid flaw in iOS.

My concern is leaving the iPhone screen on 8 - 10hrs at a time. Won't that wear out the screen or cause burn in?

The apps dim the screen to the lowest, but in my opinion it is not enough. It's still so bright I have to put a rag over it so the light does not keep me awake.

What do y'all think of this?
Would you want your iPhone left on?
Do you think it could damage the screen after a long time?

theelysium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

The iPhone's screen is LED backlit. It can stay on for about 5 years non-stop. As for screen burn in, modern LCD screens don't suffer from this, unless they present a static image for days at a time. As long as you use the iPhone normally for a few hours a day, the screen won't suffer any damage.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:05 AM   #3
theelysium
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
The iPhone's screen is LED backlit. It can stay on for about 5 years non-stop. As for screen burn in, modern LCD screens don't suffer from this, unless they present a static image for days at a time. As long as you use the iPhone normally for a few hours a day, the screen won't suffer any damage.
Yes but we are talking over night.

Here is an image. The screen stays lit like this the entire time it's being used on this clock. You can lock the screen, but then none of the feature of the clock will work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tc-1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	318697  
theelysium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Curious for a similar app, that shows emails or missed calls etc?
solo118 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelysium View Post
Yes but we are talking over night.
Reread my post. You'll see that having it on overnight is no reason to be worried.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
alarm, burn, clock, iphone, screen