Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:27 AM   #1
dryjoy
macrumors regular

Help with text formatting in an NSTextView

I'm pretty inexperienced with Objective-C & Cocoa, but learning fast! I'm working on an app that needs to parse XML files, and format some text according to a few pseudo-HTML tags, such as <body>content</body> and <heading>content</heading> etc.

I've been doing some command-line app experiments with the NSXML API (NSXMLNode, NSXMLDocument, NSXMLElement etc.) and I'm happy about reading, writing, creating, parsing etc. an XML document.

What I'm not sure of is, once I've extracted the data from the XML document and got a tree of XML objects, how to format the text in the NSTextView, and also how to detect which ranges of text in the NSTextView are in what size, font weight etc.

Could somebody please point me towards the appropriate classes etc, and I'll try and work it out from the Apple docs.
dryjoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:20 PM   #2
jiminaus
macrumors 65816

These guides should get you started:
Text System Overview
Cocoa Text Architecture Guide
Text System User Interface Layer Programming Guide
Text Attributes
Attributed String Programming Guide
Text Layout Programming Guide

Or you could possibly transform your XML into HTML, display it in a WebView, and implement the editing behaviour with a combination of JavaScript, web script objects and a WebEditingDelegate.
jiminaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:14 PM   #3
dryjoy
macrumors regular

Thanks very much. I'll have a read... no doubt I'll have some specific questions once I get stuck in.
dryjoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming