Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:25 PM   #1
BadboyHouse
macrumors regular

iMessage - how to stop sending multiple messages as group message?

When I send text messages I often send them to multiple recipients at the same time - jokes etc.

When I send regular SMS messages to multiple recipients it sends them fine.

When I send a single a text to multiple iMessage recipients, it sends it as a group message - but each of the recipients can see who I sent it to etc.

I don't want this. The idea of sending to multiple recipients at the same time for me is so that I don't have to repeat the same process individually for each iMessage recipient.

How do I prevent iMessage from using grouping? I still want to be able to send one text, to multiple iMessage recipients, but I don't of course want them to know who else I've sent it to.
BadboyHouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Prof.
macrumors 601

Go into iMessage settings and turn off group messaging. Done!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3
BadboyHouse
macrumors regular

Where is that on the iPhone 4S?

If I go into Settings, I only have Messages. I there, no options for turning off Group messages.

Am I looking in the wrong section?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Prof.
macrumors 601

Settings > Messages > [scroll down to bottom of page] > turn off Group Messaging under "SMS/MMS"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	386
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	318714  
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:01 PM   #5
BadboyHouse
macrumors regular

I've checked and double checked that screen.

No option for group messaging on or off.

Running latest firmware.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:03 PM   #6
GraphicsGeek
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadboyHouse View Post
I've checked and double checked that screen.

No option for group messaging on or off.

Running latest firmware.
That option is on mine. If you're phone doesn't show that then something is wrong.
GraphicsGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Prof.
macrumors 601

Interesting... too bad we can't screen share, I'd look at it for ya lol.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:10 PM   #8
BadboyHouse
macrumors regular

Must be something to do with the uk carrier I'm with - Vodafone.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Prof.
macrumors 601

That might be it!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 06:36 PM   #10
C DM
macrumors G3

The bigger problem is that even if you have that setting and have it set to off you still end up sending group messages when sending an iMessage to multiple recipients. It seems like there might be a bug of some sort when it comes to being able to control group messaging and iMessage.

Some have mentioned that disabling MMS in addition to group messaging does the trick, but I'm not completely sure if that's the case.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 04:21 PM   #11
vettori
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
The bigger problem is that even if you have that setting and have it set to off you still end up sending group messages when sending an iMessage to multiple recipients. It seems like there might be a bug of some sort when it comes to being able to control group messaging and iMessage.

Some have mentioned that disabling MMS in addition to group messaging does the trick, but I'm not completely sure if that's the case.
iMessage is always sent as a "chat like" group text, there's no option to change this, it's how Apple designed the system.

The problem that is solved turning off MMS is that even without iMessage, if you send a group text it will be a "chat like" group text unless you turn off both MMS and Group Messaging (if available in your country). On iOS4 only Group Messaging had to be off.
vettori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 04:25 PM   #12
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettori View Post
iMessage is always sent as a "chat like" group text, there's no option to change this, it's how Apple designed the system.

The problem that is solved turning off MMS is that even without iMessage, if you send a group text it will be a "chat like" group text unless you turn off both MMS and Group Messaging (if available in your country). On iOS4 only Group Messaging had to be off.
So, iMessage aside sounds like the bug for regular messaging needs to be fixed where group messaging should only be controlled by the Group Messaging option (and unrelated to the MMS option).

As for iMessage, since it basically defaults to that when you message those with an iOS 5 device (unless you completely turn it off), it would be good to have that Group Messaging option there too so that it could be disabled if needed/desired (just like regular messaging).
Old Jan 6, 2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Lukkee24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Must be something to do with the uk carrier I'm with - Vodafone.
I don't have that option either, also in the UK :P.
Lukkee24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

AT&T has been forcing this as well, since the end of 2009 at least (when they first allowed MMS on the iPhone).

Group Messaging disabled, if you send a multiple SMS message, it gets sent as multiple, separate messages. (GOOD)

Group Messaging disabled, if you send a multiple MMS message, it gets sent as a single group message, where everyone can see everyone else you sent it to. (BAD)

Turning off MMS is the only way to prevent Group Messaging.
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 06:42 PM   #15
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
AT&T has been forcing this as well, since the end of 2009 at least (when they first allowed MMS on the iPhone).

Group Messaging disabled, if you send a multiple SMS message, it gets sent as multiple, separate messages. (GOOD)

Group Messaging disabled, if you send a multiple MMS message, it gets sent as a single group message, where everyone can see everyone else you sent it to. (BAD)

Turning off MMS is the only way to prevent Group Messaging.
At least there's a solution there for regular messaging...too bad none of that seems to apply to iMessage which essentially has group messaging enabled by default and without the ability to change that (permanently or temporarily), short of disabling iMessage itself and using regular messaging.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:51 AM   #16
CrzyCanuck72
macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to implement broadcast message functionality into the messages app - it could be as simple as holding down the "compose" button to get a popup that says "send as broadcast". Or alternative, when you enter multiple addresses in a new message, once you hit send a popup asks if you want to send the message as a chat or as a broadcast.

That, and the ability to leave a group chat are two major features missing from iMessage.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:17 PM   #17
basketball13
macrumors newbie

Smile i have an ipod white 4g and i dont like group message!!!! i want to turn it off can

Quote:
When I send text messages I often send them to multiple recipients at the same time - jokes etc.

When I send regular SMS messages to multiple recipients it sends them fine.

When I send a single a text to multiple iMessage recipients, it sends it as a group message - but each of the recipients can see who I sent it to etc.

I don't want this. The idea of sending to multiple recipients at the same time for me is so that I don't have to repeat the same process individually for each iMessage recipient.

How do I prevent iMessage from using grouping? I still want to be able to send one text, to multiple iMessage recipients, but I don't of course want them to know who else I've sent it to.
basketball13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:48 PM   #18
wildcat629
macrumors newbie

Hi, I had the same problem, where the group messaging option was not there so all I did was turn on MMS messaging and it appeared! Good Luck
wildcat629 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier