Which cable to I need to connect my MacBook Pro to my tv? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
james7891
macrumors newbie

Which cable to I need to connect my MacBook Pro to my tv?

I'm having some trouble finding the information I need for this question. I have looked and found some, but all the connections don't look the same as mine and I would like to make sure before I go out and buy one.

The side looks like that, but do I need one for Firewire or is it for the Thunderbolt?

Thanks, James.
james7891 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MDP adapters can be bought online from:
MDP to VGA adapter from Apple
MDP to DVI adapter from Apple
MDP to Dual-Link-DVI adapter from Apple

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support adapter from the Apple Online Store

Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* This product does NOT support audio for Macs that outputs audio through the Mini DisplayPort.
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male/Toslink Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* Will only support 2 channel stereo. Will not support 5.1 Dolby Surround like the above adapter.

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cables from Monoprice
Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"
from
How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV
Most common video interfaces on external computer displays and TVs

Common video interfaces on Macs and the appropriate adapters to connect to other display devices

Most common audio interfaces on external computer displays, TVs and the Mac
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:53 PM   #4
BurningJah
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to BurningJah
but this is a thunderbolt port! so don't you need a different kind of connecter or is it the same?
BurningJah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:56 PM   #5
MarkMS
macrumors 6502a

Thunderbolt and Mini-displayport are the same. Thunderbolt is a combination of PCI Express and Displayport.

This is what you will need if your TV supports HDMI. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
MarkMS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:56 PM   #6
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningJah View Post
but this is a thunderbolt port! so don't you need a different kind of connecter or is it the same?
Read the above post and its quote titled "Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt" and also click the link called "Introducing Thunderbolt".
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:59 PM   #7
james7891
macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, so I need a mini displayport cable and that should slot right into my Thunderbolt port?
james7891 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 06:02 PM   #8
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by james7891 View Post
Thanks everyone, so I need a mini displayport cable and that should slot right into my Thunderbolt port?
Yes.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 06:11 PM   #9
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMS View Post
Thunderbolt and Mini-displayport are the same. Thunderbolt is a combination of PCI Express and Displayport.

This is what you will need if your TV supports HDMI. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks!!
M5RahuL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:32 PM   #10
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

If your tv/monitor supports hdmi, then I'd recommend going with this cable. I use it with my tv and MBP, and I have no regrets. They have other adapters for other connections too if you need them.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:21 AM   #11
trntogl
macrumors newbie

Apple

I see that (of course) Apple adapter is $34.95 and the link that is on this thread is $7.00. I also have a MacBook Pro and want to order Netflix. Is this cable, being relatively less, safe to use and (being somewhat computer savvy) I assume I disconnect HDMI already in my cable box and connect to my Mac using the adapter. Thank you for your input.
trntogl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Braniff747SP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trntogl View Post
I see that (of course) Apple adapter is $34.95 and the link that is on this thread is $7.00. I also have a MacBook Pro and want to order Netflix. Is this cable, being relatively less, safe to use and (being somewhat computer savvy) I assume I disconnect HDMI already in my cable box and connect to my Mac using the adapter. Thank you for your input.

The cable should be fine. Never buy cables from Apple; they are absurdly expensive. All of the cheap rip-offs that I've bought over the years work just fine.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro