Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CloudOn Returns Cloud-Hosted Office for iPad to App Store

Earlier this week, stealth startup CloudOn released a free iPad app that aimed to bring the functionality of Microsoft Office to the iPad. One day later, the company declared the app "sold out" and pulled it until they could expand capacity.

It has since been relaunched for some users, and will be opening up to more over time. In a post about the first day of CloudOn's public availability, the company shares some additional information about its privacy and security policies.
Quote:
We enable you to be productive without overstepping our boundaries as a platform. Our privacy policy can be found at: www.cloudon.com/legal/privacy. We follow this privacy policy diligently across every part of our system.

From a security standpoint, none of your files are stored permanently on any of our systems. Your files are pulled only when you need them. Once you've finished editing them, they are saved back to Dropbox and wiped from our systems. We encrypt your credentials and also have 256-bit encryption between our servers and your client. We take pains to audit our security processes and improve them on a regular basis.
To determine if the application is available for download and if the service is active, visit the Status page on CloudOn's website. The CloudOn for iPad app is available free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: CloudOn Returns Cloud-Hosted Office for iPad to App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 08:42 PM   #2
mjones185
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Slow
Budweiser (Because U Deserve What Ever Individual Should Ever Receive)
mjones185 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Beachguy
macrumors 6502

I don't see it on the iPad site, but I can see it in the iTunes store on my Mac.
Beachguy is online now   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:15 AM   #4
bse3
macrumors member

Thumbs down

It's just a VNC or RDP connection to their server, where an actual instance of MS Office runs. I don't like that, because that means that all files I edit would be on their computers at some point. Plus access to my derpbox.
bse3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:59 AM   #5
coder12
macrumors 6502a

CloudOff has just been turned ...

ON
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bse3 View Post
It's just a VNC or RDP connection to their server, where an actual instance of MS Office runs. I don't like that, because that means that all files I edit would be on their computers at some point. Plus access to my derpbox.
Of course it has to be something like that. What were you expecting? A MS Office version for for HTML, JAVA or PHP? It has to be hosted somewhere.

Regarding security... well, I guess some level of trust has to exist. If you think about it, your files are exposed every time you send them via email.

And you trust Dropbox to store your files, right? How do you know they are not going to read them or steal your personal information?

Plus, your files are not even safe inside your own computer, considering it's exposed to the internet, and other people in your environment. Plus most people don't use a password or have their computers log in automatically when started.

I don't plan to use this service 24/7, as I run iWork on my iPad and I'm happy with the results, plus I can always access my MAC via LogMeIn, but it could be a day server in some cases.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7
ninjadex
macrumors regular

Back in stock, I suppose. Silly marketing tactics.
ninjadex is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones185 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Slow
It may be slow because all the new users are connecting at the same time. Just wait a little until things go back to normal, then it should be faster.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:26 AM   #9
arkitect
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjadex View Post
Back in stock, I suppose. Silly marketing tactics.
I woldn't be quite so cynical.

There may have been bandwidth issues…
arkitect is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
turtle777
macrumors 6502a

I've given up on this CloudOn thing. Too slow, too unintuitive UI.

After trying to figure out for 15 minutes how to CLOSE a document that I had opened, I gave up. How the hell can you make an app where closing a document is so hidden and obscured ?

-t
turtle777 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:52 AM   #11
gazmac
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to gazmac Send a message via Skype™ to gazmac
Seems to be time-limited now. Last night it said time left 1hr 50mins (when you click on the cloud icon), today it's back up to 2hrs. Does this mean it can only be used for 2hrs per day and presumably you have to pay for unlimited? Not a bad model for the more casual user. Anyone used up their 2hrs? - interested to know what happens next.
gazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Twizz91
macrumors member

Can you make equations in it?
Twizz91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

Can you make changes to a document without saving?

I couldn't see how.
Zimmy68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 02:00 PM   #14
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

CloudDissipated.

Cant find it.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion