Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:56 AM   #51
JAG77
macrumors member

Yeah...no

Technology is advancing fast for tablet devices but not THAT fast.. (In an affordability sense)
Besides, anything Microsoft releases will probably have the same specs as the iPad 3 anyway.. With the added infrastructure of the app store and itunes it kinda throws out the rest of the competition on its own. The only main thing that will probably make people switch over is the cost or because its "not an Apple" product..
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:56 AM   #52
Stella
macrumors 603

Digi times is about as reliable as the Daily Mail
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:56 AM   #53
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDevice View Post
Who would buy it? The vast majority of the consumer buying public who don't read this site. Plus, some people who do read this site and don't pay attention which is why there is always the refrain of "Damn I just bought an _ithing_ last week and now Apple release a new one!"
True, I saw someone buy an iMac last week or so in Apple store when the buying guide advises against buying one now.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:56 AM   #54
5aga
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxny View Post
However I do think they will keep iPad 2 on the market for the rest of '12 and bring the iPad 3 in as the must have toy for the year. I'd probably go for it finding my first gen getting rather slow with frequent browser crashes etc.
yeah $399 iPad 2 make force me to finally buy one.. my first gen is slow, but my nephew (who is only 2) dropped it by accident.

even sweeter would be a $299 iPad 2
5aga is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:57 AM   #55
Sodner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1town View Post
Oh brother..

Not. Gonna. Happen.
Ditto.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:59 AM   #56
millar876
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to millar876 Send a message via Skype™ to millar876
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.1;FBBV/4100.0;FBDV/iPhone3,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/2; FBCR/Three;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/2.0])

This reminds me of the PowerBook G4 days when every other rumour was either about an upcoming speed bump or the now infamous " PowerBook G5 coming next Tuesday" rumours
iPhone 4S 16GB
millar876 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:59 AM   #57
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

two little letters sum it all up.....

BS

;-)
MacRumorUser is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:59 AM   #58
xxplosive1984
macrumors regular

These rumors get more ridiculous by the day. This doesn't make a bit of sense. Yet, I still come to this site like clockwork. I can't stay away!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:01 AM   #59
glis
macrumors member

Simple, if the iPad 3 ships with an A5 chip then the iPad 4 will come later this year.
glis is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:02 AM   #60
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by glis View Post
Simple, if the iPad 3 ships with an A5 chip then the iPad 4 will come later this year.
How do you know? What makes you think that? ^_^
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:02 AM   #61
PhilSandifer
macrumors newbie

I don't buy it. A yearly release is about the fastest you can go without making people who bought the previous version feel "burned" by rapid obsolescence. For a company like Apple where a sense of cool and style is part of the appeal of their products you can't strip the cool factor away from a new release that fast without harming customer loyalty.
PhilSandifer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:02 AM   #62
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
And don't forget the iPad 5 to be released in December 2012 in time for the holiday season.

Then get ready for 2013. "The Year of the iPad". New iPads every month!
And in 18 new colors!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:03 AM   #63
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

OMG! I can believe a rag like Digitimes is throwing out this tripe again, but really MR! After last year you really deem this a Page 1 story? I understand that the site name is MacRumors but seriously, you need to discern between credible and realistic ones and unicorn laced ones.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:04 AM   #64
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylambert View Post
There must be support for ThunderBolt in iOS devices sometime soon... This will provide a huge leap in the sync speed of Pads and Phones.

iPad 4, iPhone 5, killer feature?
Doubt it. Do you think the sync speed now is limited by USB 2? I think the current bottleneck is the write speed of the storage in the iOS device.
blackcrayon is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:05 AM   #65
webitorgal
macrumors regular

Don't think this is going to happen, especially if phones are now being launched in October.
webitorgal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:06 AM   #66
akm3
macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe they mean iPad 3 on ios 5, with the late year upgrade = iOS 6 debuting on new iPhone 5...or more likely maybe they don't know jack shh...squat.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:06 AM   #67
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect View Post
I agree.
What advantage would there be to Apple doing this?
What advantage is there for Apple upgrading the laptop line more than once each year?

What advantage is there for Apple upgrading iMacs more than once each year?

I know that for many of us just 2 iterations of device denotes an absolute pattern (of once a year) and that such an absolute pattern is the only thing that makes any sense for anyone... until Apple actually alters the pattern and then THAT becomes the only thing that makes any sense for anyone.

I especially like this kind of (very common) reasoning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Not a fan of that method. Just update it yearly. Two upgrades in a year. I would be jealous if it mine was no longer current in several months.
Think people. Maybe even 'think different'?
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:08 AM   #68
cvaldes
Banned

These rumors are increasingly preposterous. This has going on for a couple of years, but it has really accelerated in the past six months.

A sad trend. It does not improve this site's credibility nor that of the initial rumor provider.

If you are going to select rumors to report, why not pick one that is halfway plausible, not this blathering.

Oh well, a sign of the times, I suppose...
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:09 AM   #69
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Seems unlikely Apple would quadruple the # of pixels without significantly improving the CPU/GPU combo. Which makes this rumor a bit ridiculous.

About the only way it would make sense is if there are just some big, possibly iPad specific features planned for iOS 6 in late 2012.
blackcrayon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:11 AM   #70
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I'm using an iPad 1 and so depending on what the 3 has to offer will dictate whether I decide to buy when that's released or when the 4 is released later in the year.
As soon as the iPad 2 was released, I bought the iPad 1 at the reduced prices. I've been holding out for the higher rez screen. When that hits, I'm in for another iPad.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:12 AM   #71
nylonsteel
macrumors 6502a

re tablet wars

ok so the hardware is decently workable

all we need now are insanely killer apps
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:13 AM   #72
pandamonia
Banned

STOP PRESS

Significant REDESIGN COMING.

Apple to make tablet computer look like.....

Yet another tablet computer....

rectangle with screen and no keyboard but this time has more "Magic"

Seriously how much milage is there in the future of a tablet PC to change.

the only thing that has changed in the last 15 years is the physical size and power. They still look like a tablet and they all look the same.

The iPad is the best of the bunch i doubt it has the need to change twice in one year. lets face it what exactly is there to change apart from yearly improvements in resolution / power / battery life.
pandamonia is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:13 AM   #73
Dionte
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to Dionte
I guess that's the good thing about spreading rumors, the majority of it doesn't have to be true.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:14 AM   #74
AtomicEdge
macrumors regular

The more I hear these rumors, the more I think that they are spread by Apple's rivals in order to reduce the amount of people that buy the next version.

A pointless task, but it's the only reason this rumor patten has been so prevalent over the last year and a bit.
AtomicEdge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:15 AM   #75
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

I'm thinking one iPad a year is enough. The only way this is true is if the iPad 3 arrives with no retina display, then I'll hold out for a version that does have it, as I suspect many will (I'm a current iPad 2 user).

The many versions of android devices is one point apple laughs about, so I doubt they will start coming out with more iPads and keep them on the market simultaneously.

Apple builds market share by providing a superior, well defined and controlled experience, not by releasing multiple products to appeal to every whim a customer may have.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion