Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:19 AM   #76
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicEdge View Post
The more I hear these rumors, the more I think that they are spread by Apple's rivals in order to reduce the amount of people that buy the next version.

A pointless task, but it's the only reason this rumor patten has been so prevalent over the last year and a bit.
Maybe competitors find it hard to accept that Apple can release one product a year and have it sell well all year where as they have to release a new iteration every few months to stay "fresh."
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:20 AM   #77
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MacBookPro13" Send a message via Skype™ to MacBookPro13"
iPad 3 hasn't even been announced, yet we're talking about iPad 4? Madness.
MacBookPro13" is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:20 AM   #78
jll62
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by psonice View Post
What will happen? They'll release the iPad 3 (or 2s) (with or without retina screen) in the spring like they have for the last 2 years. In the autumn, they'll update it. With iOS6, not hardware. And there's a reasonable chance it'll have new killer applications, because they update those too.
Bingo. iPad 3 this spring. iOS 6 upgrade around the time of the next iPhone launch in the fall.
jll62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:20 AM   #79
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonia View Post
STOP PRESS

Significant REDESIGN COMING.

Apple to make tablet computer look like.....

Yet another tablet computer....

rectangle with screen and no keyboard but this time has more "Magic"

Seriously how much milage is there in the future of a tablet PC to change.

the only thing that has changed in the last 15 years is the physical size and power. They still look like a tablet and they all look the same.

The iPad is the best of the bunch i doubt it has the need to change twice in one year. lets face it what exactly is there to change apart from yearly improvements in resolution / power / battery life.
The iPad Carbon. Now as thin as a carbon 13 isotope. Apple: Think Really Different
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:22 AM   #80
Kid A
macrumors regular

No.
Kid A is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:22 AM   #81
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookPro13" View Post
iPad 3 hasn't even been announced, yet we're talking about iPad 4? Madness.
I know, it's getting a bit silly now (:
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:23 AM   #82
arkitect
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
What advantage is there for Apple upgrading the laptop line more than once each year?

What advantage is there for Apple upgrading iMacs more than once each year?
Well you've replied to my question with two questions.
It still begs the question, what advantage would there be for a twice yearly iPad release?

Quote:
Think people. Maybe even 'think different'?
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:24 AM   #83
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post
Seems unlikely Apple would quadruple the # of pixels without significantly improving the CPU/GPU combo. Which makes this rumor a bit ridiculous.

About the only way it would make sense is if there are just some big, possibly iPad specific features planned for iOS 6 in late 2012.
Well, they did actually significantly improve the GPU with the A5. (9x or so? It was immediately dismissed as unimportant to anyone but gamers. Maybe it will be useful to those higher resolution displays. It's almost as if Apple plans these things in advance! )

The rumor is still ridiculous though.
BaldiMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:24 AM   #84
daneoni
macrumors G4

No don't. Don't do an Android and release a new tab/phone every 3-5 days. You'll just end up confusing customers and irritating them in the process

Paradox of choice.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:25 AM   #85
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
No don't. Don't do an Android and release a new tab/phone every 3-5 days. You'll just end up confusing customers and irritating them in the process

Paradox of choice.
this

the reason samsung is so successful is they have one flagship phone/tablet per year. unlike HTC which has a different name phone which is the same hardware every other week
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:26 AM   #86
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Lmao!

This rumor is HILLARIOUS!
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:30 AM   #87
coltman75
macrumors member

I think we can look at the iPhone 4S to see that Apple would rather hold off for a few months than release a "interim" product.
coltman75 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:31 AM   #88
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68030

Oh you analist's
itsmemuffins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:31 AM   #89
morphineseason
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to morphineseason
Does anyone else feel like some undercover Android/Microsoft PR people are pushing these "rumors" out there to scare people into not buying the next Apple product? People are already mumbling about iPhone 6 and iPad 4. It's dumb and it's not going to happen. Buy the next Apple product, enjoy it for a year, get hyped for the product that comes out the following year, rinse and repeat. That's Apple's tried and true cycle, and they're not going to abandon that.

One of the reasons Apple's products are so successful is because of the general mystery and hype that surrounds them for an entire year leading up to their unveiling at the huge keynote events. If they're releasing products every 6 months, a lot of that mystery and hype just won't be there and/or nobody will care.
morphineseason is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:33 AM   #90
jclardy
macrumors 68020

This doesn't make any sense. To release an iPad 3 and outdate it right before the holiday season? That would be incredibly stupid.

The iPad 3 will have high demand from the early adopters in March/April, and demand will increase again with iOS 6 later in the year and the holiday season of 2012.

To release an iPad 4 in October would only serve to piss off iPad 3 early adopters and guarantee that they don't have enough units to keep stores stocked over the holidays, meaning they will miss out on a lot of sales.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:33 AM   #91
arcite
macrumors 6502a

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ahh I can't stand it!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:33 AM   #92
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
Why this is "news" is anyone's guess.
This "news" item is posted to MacRumors because DigiTimes reported it on their site. Since this is all a numbers game (whoever gets the most hits gets the most advertising $) MacRumors has to waste our time with it in order to stay in business.
JHankwitz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:34 AM   #93
Blakjack
macrumors 65832

This rumor really sucks! This rumor doesnt encourage me to believe it one bit.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:42 AM   #94
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MacBookPro13" Send a message via Skype™ to MacBookPro13"
Breaking News: iPhone 5 S⃣ due in Fall 2013
MacBookPro13" is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:43 AM   #95
rols
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post
This rumor really sucks! This rumor doesnt encourage me to believe it one bit.
Indeed. Can we have a little filtering between anything vaguely plausible and "random words put out by someone who has never seen an apple product"?

There aren't going to be 2 new iPads in 2012, or 2 new iPhones, just as there weren't 2 of either in 2011. There will not be a 'pro' iPad with "insert feature here". Apple hasn't done that in years. They will introduce a new iPad in the first quarter, it will be the same basic size, it will be more powerful, it will come with a few different onboard memory sizes and a choice of 3G or WiFi. The iPad2 will continue to exist for a while at a lower price point.

That is it for iPad for 2012.
rols is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:46 AM   #96
Akack
macrumors 6502a

Yeeeaaa, not happening.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:46 AM   #97
GunZi
macrumors 6502

iPad 3

if the iPad 3 has a rentina display and same 10 hour battery. that would be enough for me to buy it!

and then maybe wait for iPad 5?
GunZi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:48 AM   #98
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
What advantage is there for Apple upgrading the laptop line more than once each year?

What advantage is there for Apple upgrading iMacs more than once each year?

I know that for many of us just 2 iterations of device denotes an absolute pattern (of once a year) and that such an absolute pattern is the only thing that makes any sense for anyone... until Apple actually alters the pattern and then THAT becomes the only thing that makes any sense for anyone.

I especially like this kind of (very common) reasoning...

Think people. Maybe even 'think different'?

1. Laptops and desktops have competition they have to keep up with and it's been like this for quite a while. Even so they don't always update more than once a year (how many updates did the 2010 13" MBP have in 2010?).

2. Look at Apple's pattern, iPhones have competition these days and they still are only updating it once a year.

3. Why would Apple update the iPad twice a year when it still is very much the dominant tablet? Especially when they've shown they don't even update more than once a year when the competition really has caught up?

Given those three reasons I think this rumor really is grasping at straws and I agree it really shouldn't even be front page news. Hell, we had a similar rumor last year, and it didn't even come close to happening (I mean, by it we should have had the iPad three months ago! Like around when the iPhone 4s came out).

I won't say it won't happen unless Apple outright says it won't happen (after all, unless you personally know their plans all of us are just guessing), but I would be shocked if it did.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:51 AM   #99
LAS.mac
macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but I'll wait for iPhone 6 at least. And iPad 5. No way I stick with 2012-2013 models...
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:51 AM   #100
Porco
macrumors 68000

lol @ this rumour.

Everyone knows that what will really happen is the iPad 3 in the next few months, iPad 4 in the summer, and then iPad 5 in November.

I've heard that the iPad 6 is due in December though, so everyone might want to wait until mid-2013 when the iPad 12 comes out.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion