Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brokenstuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Ok so I am desperately seeking some help and hope someone can help me out of this mess I've gotten myself in to!

Firstly I'm the least technical person alive and secondly I have searched other threads on the same topic - which is what caused the second part of this mess!

So from the start....

I purchased an iPhone 3 g secondhand (for my daughter to keep her off my iPhone) I was told it was jail broken & the sim didn't work. This didn't bother me as I didn't really know what that meant and my thought daughter could just use it for the apps ect.

Anyway - it was running really slow and also I wanted to put some music on there for her from my iTunes account so I decided that as I didn't get the whole jailbreak stuff, I would just reset it and get rid of this jailbreak and sync it with my iTunes.

So as you probably know - the restore froze the phone and I then searched this forumn and figured out how to press the home button / lock button to get it off and on again and on its way to a restore. Well then I got the message that it wouldn't restore - unknown error! I then searched this issue and came across a thread saying the best thing to do was to install EasyiRecovery on my PC - which I did!

Then it said I needed to install Libusb???? (as I said I'm clueless) so I did this and then my mouse froze!

Another quick search revealed I have not done something to do with compatibility and had frozen my USB ports!

So now I have a trashed iPhone & PC and am hoping someone somewhere can help me sort this out???

I don't want to reset my PC as stupid me hasn't backed up (my external hard drive is broken) and I wondered if any of you kind people could help in anyway?

I look forward to any responses - bearing in mind how simple minded I am when it comes to technology! :eek:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Okay....You wouldn't be the first! let's start with your PC. Disconnect everything you don't need from it Just keyboard and mouse.

Shut it down

Now re-boot whilst tapping the F8 key.

A menu should appear with a list of options.

You should see "SafeMode" as one of them.

choose this, and post back...this could take a while so bear with me.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
If the PC starts, follow these steps to remove the software you installed. Can you please provide your Windows version? Vista, Windows 7 etc?

This will help to navigate you through the process

Brokenstuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Ok done - I know have the home screen (magnified) and the mouse still not moving?

Brokenstuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Windows vista home premium

----------

Only have the one mouse - its plugged in to the back of the PC

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Okay, that helps. Our aim now is to remove the software that caused this mess, it can be done without a mouse, but it involves a lot of key combo's and it would be easier with a mouse.

If the mouse is USB, try switching it to a different USB socket on the machine.

You will need to re-boot the machine using the same f8 and safe mode options each time.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Okay. On the keyboard locate the key with the Windows logo on it.

press this key, and from the menu, locate control panel. Using the up and down arrow keys, navigate to control panel, and hit enter

Post back.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Okay. I was afraid of that.

A more violent approach.!

1) shut down

2) Re-boot using the f8 option and this time look for the item that states " last known configuration that worked" (the message may differ slightly, I'm rusty on Vista.

Choose that option if you can and see if the PC boots up normally

Post Back

Brokenstuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Ok - there is an option that says 'Last known good configuration advanced' so have pressed this....

And hey presto it's in normal mode and the mouse works!

(thank you for being so patient with me ;)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
We are not finished yet!!!!

Your next job is to go to remove the software that caused the issue....Are you okay with that? If so, then great, if not post back. The Jailbreak side of things is not something I can help with, but many here will be able to sort out the phone with you.

Post back after removal of the errant apps.

Jeff

Brokenstuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Lol - halfway there?

I'm not sure how to remove software? Do I need to log in now?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
If the machine is running normally, use the mouse to open control panel.

Look for the programmes icon in control panel

Double click that icon and go through the list and find the software that caused the crash

Highlight it with your mouse
click "Uninstall"

Post back.

Brokenstuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Ok have uninstalled the libusb program but can't find (or remember what the EasyiRecovery programme was called? Am checking....

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Okay.

The PC side of things is pretty much done. I don't JB my devices so I suggest you close this thread.

Then open a new thread in the iPhone forum.

Plenty of help to sort the phone out there.

J

Brokenstuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your help...... I'll pop over to the iPhone forum now and see if anyone can help me there.

Thanks again! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.