Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Has any one seen Adobe Atmosphere? Very cool stuff. It may redefine MUDs. The only problem is: It doesn't exist for the Mac yet. How lame is that? Adobe produces one of the coolest Web development tools EVER and we don't get to play?!?:confused:

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
re:what does it do?

Atmosphere allows the generation of MUD environments that are actual 3D "worlds" like in the Snowcrash or Idoru novels, but with each site as it's own "world" or multiple "worlds" per server. Each User presents an Avatar as a visual presence. Picture this Forum running the Unreal engine, and all of us standing around and wandering from room to room in an Escheresque building. Spikey looking something like a Gwar costume, Ketho' in a Toga, agreenster as a muppet, etc.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
SO I'M A MUPPET, HUH?

Hey as long as Im a muppet, I get to be THIS guy!
Sweetums_s.jpg

or maybe HIM

SwedishChef_s.jpg

"Vergoofin der flicke stoobin mit der børk-børk yubetcha!"

:)

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
actually:

in Atmosphere, you could be BOTH. The worlds allow a "library" of Avatars per user. You just couldn't be both at once.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Looks pretty cool. It should be out for mac soon, its only in beta. Anyway heres the link if anyone wants to take a look:
Adobe Atmosphere
Macrumors could have a chat room with this! Everyone could wander around and chat in Apple HQ.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Don't worry, at MWNY steve will trash the adobe guys onstage until they start crying and agree to port every one of their products to the mac. ;)

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I dobut Adobe cares about iPhoto. iPhoto has nothing on Photoshop for pros. iPhoto seems like it would work well in conjunction with Photoshop, use photoshop to edit and iPhoto to make prints and organize. Who knows why Adobe hasn't ported photoshop before now.

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
only thing iPhoto can do is cut into Photoshop elements, but even still, that stripped version is much more pwerful than iPhoto. But for run of the mill shoot and scan, iPhoto is perfect. My only concern is that the didgital hub, while innovative for Apple, basically kills consumer innovation. "No need to frame a shot, I'll just crop it later!!" He shouts as he pulls his elph out of his pink fanny pack.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Adobe HAS announced Photoshop

Adobe announced at MWSF that photoshop for X would be out soon. To counter some mis-conceptions on versiontracker: The upgrade costs are NOT the full cost.:cool:

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Re: Adobe HAS announced Photoshop

Originally posted by mischief
Adobe announced at MWSF that photoshop for X would be out soon. To counter some mis-conceptions on versiontracker: The upgrade costs are NOT the full cost.:cool:
I must have missed that part between lost packets and rebuffering the stream. At least I got to hear the important parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.