Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
nateo200
macrumors 68030

Excessive CPU usage when using YouTube/other flash based sites.

Lately I've had nothing but trouble with Safari and YouTube! Videos play but my CPU usage has spiked anywhere from 80-100% during even a 240p video! Its crazy! :/ I have the latest software updates too. Also I can't go full screen, only standard or large player in YouTube...not cool...anyways I posted my activity monitor screenshots of when it was happening a few minutes ago again...its just frustrating...my computer gets really slow...I mean I can encode a BluRay and work fine but YouTube makes my MBP crawl! :O Help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usagewtf.png
Views:	329
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	319103   Click image for larger version

Name:	useagewtf2.png
Views:	164
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	319104  
-Canon 550D, GoPro3 Black
nateo200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

It's quite normal that Flash burns CPU.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:08 PM   #3
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

That is how flash works. It's outdated and there's nothing you can do about it. This is why HTML5 is so much better.
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
That is how flash works. It's outdated and there's nothing you can do about it. This is why HTML5 is so much better.
h.264 destroys my MacBook. Hardware accelerated playback is a must unless you enjoy a molten laptop and 6200 RPM.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
TheJing
Banned

I can watch Youtube videos all day long without the computer heating up or the fans going crazy. I'm watching one as we speak and my CPU is 90% idle.
TheJing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:40 PM   #6
quasinormal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJing View Post
I can watch Youtube videos all day long without the computer heating up or the fans going crazy. I'm watching one as we speak and my CPU is 90% idle.
So can I, but I don't have flash installed. I find most YouTube videos have a HTML5 version.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:44 PM   #7
iforbes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I just watched about 5 minutes worth of Will it Blend on youtube.com...activity monitor was always around 90% idle for me too...

hmmm...how do you tell if you are watching the flash version or the html5 version?
iforbes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:58 PM   #8
TheJing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforbes View Post

hmmm...how do you tell if you are watching the flash version or the html5 version?
If you haven't chosen to always use HTML5 when possible, you are watching the flash version which is default.
TheJing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:14 PM   #9
iforbes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you haven't chosen to always use HTML5 when possible, you are watching the flash version which is default.

Then I am watching Flash with no problems...90% idle...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
Lately I've had nothing but trouble with Safari and YouTube! Videos play but my CPU usage has spiked anywhere from 80-100% during even a 240p video!
1. Quit/restart the Finder. It robs 80 percent of one core. QuickLook and other Finder processes/plugins can cause such high CPU usage.
2. Make sure you use at least Mac OS X 10.6.3 or better 10.6.8. Mac OS X 10.6.3 includes the VDA framework, which newer versions of the Flash Player use to decode H.264 data streams (GPU hardware accelerated). Even a 9400M IGP is enough for 1080p H.264 YT-videos (tested). Video-stuttering is mostly a bandwidth problem, not a GPU problem.
3. Make sure you have the latest Flash Player, because it supports hardware acceleration and multithreading.
4. If you use Safari v5.x.x, go to http://youtube.com/html5 to enable the HTML5 H.264 video decoder for YT-videos within Safari. Safari uses then the GPU to decode the H.264 stream.
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:55 PM   #11
NZed
macrumors 65816

go with Chrome if you do a lot of flash. Its so much better than Safari
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:57 PM   #12
iforbes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
4. If you use Safari v5.x.x, go to http://youtube.com/html5 to enable the HTML5 H.264 video decoder for YT-videos within Safari. Safari uses then the GPU to decode the H.264 stream.
I tried this and no videos will load in youtube....hmmmm...turn it off and they load fine?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It's quite normal that Flash burns CPU.
Nonsense. Not 100% anyway.

There's something wrong with the OP's system.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:18 PM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Nonsense. Not 100% anyway.

There's something wrong with the OP's system.
It's not nonsense, and I didn't say anything about specific percentages. It's common knowledge that Flash content on websites is demanding on CPU resources.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:35 PM   #15
nateo200
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Yeah no ****! Haha I hate Flash and HTML5 is the new wave but that doesn't change anything. The fact of the matter is 3 weeks ago YouTube's flash wasn't even a blip on the radar....now it freezes my computer up? I can play 130mbps ProRes video files with FAR less lag as well as just about any other video file...it doesn't make sense. Especially since I now have 8gigs of RAM...why would going from 6gigs-8gigs make it slower? It doesn't make sense....
-Canon 550D, GoPro3 Black
nateo200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:10 AM   #16
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

1) Go to youtube.com/html5 and deactivate the html5 trial. That fixes the fullscreen issue

2) Try Chrome instead of Safari.

3) I don't know why Flash is acting up suddenly for you.
thundersteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 01:59 AM   #17
NZed
macrumors 65816

This is really good for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-01-07 at 10.56.00 PM.png
Views:	934
Size:	550.4 KB
ID:	319136  
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It's not nonsense, and I didn't say anything about specific percentages.
Exactly. Did you even see the OP's claimed CPU load?

No. Instead you once again chose to respond with one of your canned responses implying that all is well in Apple Land and the OP's plight is basically "in his head". :confused
Krazy Bill is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 02:42 PM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Of course I did, and such a load under Flash is not uncommon.
Quote:
No. Instead you once again chose to respond with one of your canned responses implying that all is well in Apple Land and the OP's plight is basically "in his head". :confused
Wrong. In no way did I imply that it was "in his head" or that "all was well", which is why I posted suggestions on how to mitigate the problem, rather than say "there's nothing you can do about it" or "get used to it." My post was completely accurate and appropriate for the OP's situation.
GGJstudios is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:08 PM   #20
ljones
macrumors regular

92 to 96% idle for me, and thats with a number of apps open and active.

Flash can cause this, if the app is poorly written, but I am not seeing this with youtube in Safari. Bad developers need to be pointed out just as much as flash, given they cause most of the issues most people complain about. Its not all the tech. I've developed a number of apps and I've only seen high CPU usage when i used realtime 3D in full screen mode, and some videos playing full screen.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 04:35 PM   #21
macrumors member

The problem...core 2 duo. I've used both the i5 and core 2 duo mbp's and the icore handles flash and hd video without breaking a sweat.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:08 PM   #22
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

With chrome flash, I've noticed that the CPU demand is very high (20% load/80% idle on quad core i7) when part of the video is still downloading in the background. This is almost independent of the video resolution. Once the video has finished loading the CPU load goes down to 5% or less.

Safari with html5 playback behaves much better, the load always stays around 5% or less. Unfortunately fullscreen playback is broken currently.
thundersteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:31 PM   #23
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:

Nothing to do with Apple land. High CPU usage when using flash can be reproduced in Win 7.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:44 PM   #24
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
Nothing to do with Apple land. High CPU usage when using flash can be reproduced in Win 7.
Yeah, but if you look at the OPs post in detail, there are two issues:
- significantly increased CPU load during video playback compared to the situation a few weeks ago on the same machine
- fullscreen video playback not working

The standard response that Flash is resource hungry is really useless here. Recommending the html5 player is also counter-productive, since this is the one that actually is responsible for breaking full-screen.

If one does not want to take time and identify the problem of the OP, then sometimes it's better not to reply.
thundersteele is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:57 PM   #25
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersteele View Post
Yeah, but if you look at the OPs post in detail, there are two issues:
- significantly increased CPU load during video playback compared to the situation a few weeks ago on the same machine
- fullscreen video playback not working

The standard response that Flash is resource hungry is really useless here. Recommending the html5 player is also counter-productive, since this is the one that actually is responsible for breaking full-screen.

If one does not want to take time and identify the problem of the OP, then sometimes it's better not to reply.
Fair enough, but I was replying to a specific post that really needed a response. It's a disease I have.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro