Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
greengiant129
macrumors newbie

Blinking bar on boot and then shuts down

I recently performed a Software Update for Snow Leopard, and after it started to install the updates, it said the update failed and asked me to restart since I had no other choice (it was in the process where everything was unavailable while it was installing the updates).

So Restarting was the only option available for the error, and I clicked it. My Macbook Pro restarted, and it showed the Apple logo and then a status bar underneath it showed up. The status bar began to progress (filling up the bar with a gray color), but just as it started to (only a little gray was there), the status bar started to blink a few times (maybe 2-4 times) and then my computer promptly shut down without rebooting.

I turned on the computer again and it repeated the same thing.

So I used my Snow Leopard DVD to erase the ENTIRE hard drive and reinstall it onto a clean hard drive. After the Snow Leopard DVD finished installing, it said it was successfully installed and to restart. So I clicked on Restart Now or whatever, and the computer reboots. But now it does the same thing with the status bar whole thing again.

I can record the whole phenomenon with a camera if need be, but is anyone familiar with this and know what's going on?
greengiant129 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:02 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Did you do a CLEAN INSTALL as outlined below?
To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install
Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:15 PM   #3
greengiant129
macrumors newbie

I ran a /dev/random on the hard drive before I formatted it, but I don't think that really makes a difference, right?
greengiant129 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Globalksp
macrumors newbie

I'm having this same issue.

I was having RAM problems (three beeps of death) for about two weeks before this behavior started. I removed and reinstalled the aftermarket RAM that has been in the computer since day 1 with no luck. I don't have my original RAM with me.

Have an appointment for service, but any ideas what this could be?
Globalksp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X