Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 9, 2012, 05:26 PM   #1
setaman
macrumors newbie

iPhone won't go into DFU mode? :S

I need my iPhone to go into DFU mode because i upgraded to 4.2.1 and ipad baseband so it's stuck on the apple logo.

but the problem is that the phone won't turn off no matter how many times I press the home & sleep button. and since it wont turn off, i cant put it into DFU mode. :S i dont know how to fix this. has anyone else had this issue?
setaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by setaman View Post
I need my iPhone to go into DFU mode because i upgraded to 4.2.1 and ipad baseband so it's stuck on the apple logo.

but the problem is that the phone won't turn off no matter how many times I press the home & sleep button. and since it wont turn off, i cant put it into DFU mode. :S i dont know how to fix this. has anyone else had this issue?
Hold top (power) button for 10 seconds, then while still holding the power button, push the home button and hold both buttons for an additional 20 seconds. That should do it for ya.
Mac.World is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 05:36 PM   #3
setaman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
Hold top (power) button for 10 seconds, then while still holding the power button, push the home button and hold both buttons for an additional 20 seconds. That should do it for ya.
Nothing. The buttons don't change anything at all.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Carlanga
macrumors 603

keep holding power+home button until it reboots; when the black screen appears start the DFU steps (counting the seconds) accordingly and you should get DFU. It would be stuck apple logo>hold power+home> reboots (black screen)> do sequence of DFU counting the seconds, you should see the apple logo again> then you are in DFU. GL
Old Jan 9, 2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Nothing. The buttons don't change anything at all.
I assume your home button still works?

Only other solution I know of is to let the battery drain and turn itself off.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 06:07 PM   #6
setaman
macrumors newbie

Okay I finally got iTunes to recognize it but after restoring I got error 1015.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 06:39 PM   #7
ylerT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Use TinyUmbrella or RecBoot to "Exit Recovery Mode" and you should be good to go.
ylerT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 06:39 PM   #8
zaxdude
macrumors regular

Quote:
I think this error is usually, or at least can be, related to iTunes attempting to validate the iOS version you are trying to restore to. Since you aren't trying to update to iOS5 but are instead trying to do a no longer signed version (4.2.1), it's throwing an error.

Do you have your shsh blobs saved for 4.2.1? Does Cydia have them? Is your hosts file for iTunes no longer pointing to Apple?
zaxdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxdude View Post
I think this error is usually, or at least can be, related to iTunes attempting to validate the iOS version you are trying to restore to. Since you aren't trying to update to iOS5 but are instead trying to do a no longer signed version (4.2.1), it's throwing an error.

Do you have your shsh blobs saved for 4.2.1? Does Cydia have them? Is your hosts file for iTunes no longer pointing to Apple?
This is a good point. OP will likely need to point to Cydia's server, vice Apple's.

Need to add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com line of code to the bottom of the host file in /etc/ folder. Assuming he has his own 4.2.1 ipsw file?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:17 PM   #10
setaman
macrumors newbie

Okay, I finally got my phone in DFU mode with iREB and now I'm supposed to do the shift + restore on iTunes, correct? and pick the ispw file. But when I press it it says file not compatible
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Okay, I finally got my phone in DFU mode with iREB and now I'm supposed to do the shift + restore on iTunes, correct? and pick the ispw file. But when I press it it says file not compatible
Did you add the host file code in the etc folder? So you are pointing to Cydia's servers?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:47 PM   #12
setaman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Did you add the host file code in the etc folder? So you are pointing to Cydia's servers?
Yes I added it to the etc folder so i'm assuming that I am pointing to cydia's servers. What should I do now?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Yes I added it to the etc folder so i'm assuming that I am pointing to cydia's servers. What should I do now?
Are you on a pc or Mac. If you're using a PC, then you're fine. If you are using a Mac, there are a couple of lines of code at the bottom that look similar to the one you added. These need to be deleted.

Additionally, does your ipsw file start with a BB?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:55 PM   #14
setaman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Are you on a pc or Mac. If you're using a PC, then you're fine. If you are using a Mac, there are a couple of lines of code at the bottom that look similar to the one you added. These need to be deleted.

Additionally, does your ipsw file start with a BB?
I'm on PC. And no the ipsw doesnt start with a BB? does it need to?

But it still says file not compatible when I do shift + restore. Should I just press restore? Or will I get error 1015 again?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:01 PM   #15
zaxdude
macrumors regular

Quote:

But it still says file not compatible when I do shift + restore. Should I just press restore? Or will I get error 1015 again?
Since I haven't seen it answered, are you certain Cydia has the 4.2.1 shsh blobs for your device??
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:02 PM   #16
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:

First of all, I have to ask, did you download the 5.0.1 ipsw file off the internet? I assume you did,mbecause when you hit shift+restore, this is the file you are gonna point to.

If you had a BB in front of the ipsw file, then that tells me you created a modified ipsw file with redsn0w or similar program. Are you going to use redsn0w?

If you attempt to restore now, you will just get an unkownerror code. You need to point to a valid ipsw file.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:08 PM   #17
setaman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
First of all, I have to ask, did you download the 5.0.1 ipsw file off the internet? I assume you did,mbecause when you hit shift+restore, this is the file you are gonna point to.

If you had a BB in front of the ipsw file, then that tells me you created a modified ipsw file with redsn0w or similar program. Are you going to use redsn0w?

If you attempt to restore now, you will just get an unkownerror code. You need to point to a valid ipsw file.
Nope. I'm not downloading the 5.0.1. I did however download the 4.2.i ipsw file.. i'm not sure if it's valid. How can I check? And I did use redsn0w but not to create the modified ipsw. Im not sure how to do that.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:15 PM   #18
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Nope. I'm not downloading the 5.0.1. I did however download the 4.2.i ipsw file.. i'm not sure if it's valid. How can I check? And I did use redsn0w but not to create the modified ipsw. Im not sure how to do that.
4.2.1? You using an iPhone 3g? I assumed you were using a 3gs or 4. Sorry, but I'm not sure if there are valid 4.2.1 files out there? Maybe someone else can chime in. I'm also not exactly sure if there is a different process for the 3g?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:22 PM   #19
zaxdude
macrumors regular

OP's original post needs some definite clarification on where he/she was before this attempt was made and where he/she hopes to be after this effort is completed.

OP -- can you please do your best to be very specific in the details of your situation and re-post the question.

Knowing the following are all key details:

1. what iOS version you were running before you began (and whether you were jailbroken or not)

2. what BB did it have before you began

3. which iphone do you have

4. what iOS version you wish to be at (and BB) once completed

5. are you running the most recent version of iTunes?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:23 PM   #20
setaman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxdude View Post
OP's original post needs some definite clarification on where he/she was before this attempt was made and where he/she hopes to be after this effort is completed.

OP -- can you please do your best to be very specific in the details of your situation and re-post the question.

Knowing the following are all key details:

1. what iOS version you were running before you began (and whether you were jailbroken or not)

2. what BB did it have before you began

3. which iphone do you have

4. what iOS version you wish to be at (and BB) once completed

5. are you running the most recent version of iTunes?
Okay. I currently have ios 4.2.1 and BB 6.15.00 (the iPad baseband). I resetted all my settings and got stuck at the apple logo. And yes, my iphone is jailbroken. Its an iPhone 3g. And it doesn't matter which ios or bb I get at once completed, I just want it to work at this point. :/
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:07 PM   #21
mrhomiec
macrumors newbie

i have a similar situation happening to me.

i tether jailbroke my iPhone 3GS a few months ago to 5.0

then i totally forgot about it, and i let the battery die.

now, when i plug it in, it just stays on the black screen, so i don't know if it's charging or not. i tried to put it into DFU mode, but it's not working. i used the steps on iClarified- http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034, i even used a timer to make sure i wasn't screwing up.

any suggestions?
mrhomiec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:38 PM   #22
noiceT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhomiec View Post
i have a similar situation happening to me.

i tether jailbroke my iPhone 3GS a few months ago to 5.0

then i totally forgot about it, and i let the battery die.

now, when i plug it in, it just stays on the black screen, so i don't know if it's charging or not. i tried to put it into DFU mode, but it's not working. i used the steps on iClarified- http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034, i even used a timer to make sure i wasn't screwing up.

any suggestions?
plug into your computer and run redsn0w. Just boot tethered.
noiceT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:23 PM   #23
mrhomiec
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiceT View Post
plug into your computer and run redsn0w. Just boot tethered.
i tried that. it keeps telling i'm not going into DFU mode correctly. and i know i'm doing it right.

the screen stays black. i never see anything displayed. how do i even know it has a charge? but i guess that doesn't matter since it's technically plugged in while trying to get in DFU mode?
mrhomiec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:10 AM   #24
noiceT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhomiec View Post
i tried that. it keeps telling i'm not going into DFU mode correctly. and i know i'm doing it right.

the screen stays black. i never see anything displayed. how do i even know it has a charge? but i guess that doesn't matter since it's technically plugged in while trying to get in DFU mode?
The screen IS black when you are in DFU mode. There's nothing displayed when in DFU mode, its completely blank.
noiceT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:20 AM   #25
b0bab0i
macrumors regular

Run redsn0w and it will tell you how to put the phone in pwned DFU mode.

I also think u need to run a custom IPSW since you are on 6.15.000 BB.
b0bab0i is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks