Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vio0633

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
So long story short....my Macbook Pro got stolen a couple of weeks ago. I lost all of my pictures but I can still see them in the screen saver from my Apple TV 2. Is their anyway I can hack into my Apple TV to get the pictures off of it and back onto my new MBP? I don't mind Jailbreaking or whatever....I just don't want to lose them.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
So long story short....my Macbook Pro got stolen a couple of weeks ago. I lost all of my pictures but I can still see them in the screen saver from my Apple TV 2. Is their anyway I can hack into my Apple TV to get the pictures off of it and back onto my new MBP? I don't mind Jailbreaking or whatever....I just don't want to lose them.

Hmm, they aren't stored on your ATV so they must be on iCloud. Suggest you access your iCloud account from a computer, iPod, iPhone or iPad to retrieve them

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Hmm, they aren't stored on your ATV so they must be on iCloud. Suggest you access your iCloud account from a computer, iPod, iPhone or iPad to retrieve them

Actually, the pictures in the ATV2 screensaver ARE stored on the ATV itself. Basically, when you select a photo album or event or whatever to use as the screensaver, the ATV2 copies over lower-resolution versions of the photos from your iphoto library (or folder) on your computer and stores them in the ATV2's memory. This is why, for example, those default animal and flower pics are in the ATV2 out of the box. so there are indeed versions of these photos stored on your ATV2. This is precarious, though, since those pics will probably be overwritten if you ever set the screensaver to use anything else.

If your ATV2 were already jailbroken, you could just sftp into it and grab the photos, which are probably stored somewhere in the file system (not sure where exactly, but I expect it wouldn't be hard to look around with ssh and find them). However, as far as I know, the process of jailbreaking installs a whole new copy of the ATV firmware and OS, and hence any prior data stored on the ATV will be wiped upon jailbreaking. (if anyone knows otherwise, please chime in). When I recently jailbroke my ATV, I definitely had to re-enter all my info to the ATV and re-install my apps (like nitoTV and XBMC) because the device was wiped clean during the jailbreak.

Soooo. . . yeah this is a tricky one. You need to search for a way to jailbreak your ATV without clearing the ATV's memory. (The jailbreak is required to give you access to the file system.) I don't know if that's possible but it's worth looking into.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA

Don't ever listen to someone who's profile pic is captain slow... :D just kidding. Sorry for the hijack.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
ey ey you guys crack me up :D the Hamster listens to me, at least when I talk dirty between takes

dgalvan, I know I look like a tad gay in that pic so thanks for setting me straight.

whitenoise

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
U.K.
I have no idea, I dont own an AppleTV.

If its impossible to do, I suppose you could always take a photo of the pic on your TV?.....I suppose its never going to look great, (no matter how good your tv, camera or settings), but its one way of getting a copy if all else fails.

Sorry I cant be of actual help......

.......would you be able to capture the screensaver on your mbp and grab the frames? (just an after thought).

vio0633

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Actually, the pictures in the ATV2 screensaver ARE stored on the ATV itself. Basically, when you select a photo album or event or whatever to use as the screensaver, the ATV2 copies over lower-resolution versions of the photos from your iphoto library (or folder) on your computer and stores them in the ATV2's memory. This is why, for example, those default animal and flower pics are in the ATV2 out of the box. so there are indeed versions of these photos stored on your ATV2. This is precarious, though, since those pics will probably be overwritten if you ever set the screensaver to use anything else.

If your ATV2 were already jailbroken, you could just sftp into it and grab the photos, which are probably stored somewhere in the file system (not sure where exactly, but I expect it wouldn't be hard to look around with ssh and find them). However, as far as I know, the process of jailbreaking installs a whole new copy of the ATV firmware and OS, and hence any prior data stored on the ATV will be wiped upon jailbreaking. (if anyone knows otherwise, please chime in). When I recently jailbroke my ATV, I definitely had to re-enter all my info to the ATV and re-install my apps (like nitoTV and XBMC) because the device was wiped clean during the jailbreak.

Soooo. . . yeah this is a tricky one. You need to search for a way to jailbreak your ATV without clearing the ATV's memory. (The jailbreak is required to give you access to the file system.) I don't know if that's possible but it's worth looking into.

Yea....thats exactly what I want to do. Im just not sure I can do it to save my pictures from there :(

vio0633

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Problem solved! I forgot that I imported all of my pictures right to my Facebook account. I was able to log in to Facebook via iPhoto on my new macbook pro and import them back on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.