Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Dougiefresh805
macrumors newbie

iPhone just goes black...stops working..ideas?

I have had my iPhone 4 since June. Soon after I got it (like three weeks), my iPhone was downloading an app and when the screen went black to lock..the iPhone would not respond to any input. All I saw was a black screen and it wouldn't respond whenever it was plugged into my computer. Luckily someone I knew told me about holding the home button and the lock button at the same time, and the iPhone reset itself. About two weeks ago, it did it again. I think its just something with the apps running in the background and I try to close them out anytime I'm not going to use them for a while. Does any one know why this occurs? Is it a glitch with my phone or in general iOS 5?
Dougiefresh805 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:47 PM   #2
aluren
macrumors 65816

This has happened to me on a brand new 4S. It would crash all of a sudden, go to a blank screen, and then 10-20 seconds later it restarts itself. I've tried restoring it to original factory settings and the crash would occur again. So I took it to the Apple store to have it exchanged. The genius bar doesn't know the reason (or wouldn't tell me) and says everything is working fine and to wait for the iOS 5.01 update (at the time 5.01 hadn't been released yet).

I'd say just go get it exchanged for a new one. Those crashes didn't happen on my exchanged 4S.
aluren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
iYitsy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiefresh805 View Post
I have had my iPhone 4 since June. Soon after I got it (like three weeks), my iPhone was downloading an app and when the screen went black to lock..the iPhone would not respond to any input. All I saw was a black screen and it wouldn't respond whenever it was plugged into my computer. Luckily someone I knew told me about holding the home button and the lock button at the same time, and the iPhone reset itself. About two weeks ago, it did it again. I think its just something with the apps running in the background and I try to close them out anytime I'm not going to use them for a while. Does any one know why this occurs? Is it a glitch with my phone or in general iOS 5?
Op,

I work at a cell phone store and I've seen this multiple times with different iPhone 4/4S. It happens every blue moon. If you feel uncomfortable you can try to swap it. Guaranteed they won't swap it though seeing you can not duplicate the issue.
iYitsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:52 AM   #4
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

I have my doubts that swapping it will help anything. There's either an OS bug, or there's an app that's hanging and causing this.

I've had it happen once on my old iPhone 4 and then once again after I upgraded to a 4S, so that didn't change anything. Fortunately it's not too often that it happens.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Dougiefresh805
macrumors newbie

Do you really think apple will just give me a new phone? It's still under warranty till June of this year.
Dougiefresh805 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Michellemac
macrumors newbie

I got a replacement due to it being under warranty but the new one keeps black screening even with the updated software but it didn't do it for almost a year so worth a shot
Michellemac is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone