Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
I just recently got my iPhone 4s and I setup both my email accounts. I previously had a blackberry where i would instantly receive emails and be notified. On the iPhone i only find out that i got new email when i open up the mail app. How can i get instant notifications of mail?

Sorry if its a newb question.

DerekTS

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
The mail app checks for mail about every 10-15 minutes when it is running in the background.

If you are one of those people that completely close all apps from running in the background then that is likely the problem since it can't check for new emails if it isnt running in the background.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
The mail app checks for mail about every 10-15 minutes when it is running in the background.

If you are one of those people that completely close all apps from running in the background then that is likely the problem since it can't check for new emails if it isnt running in the background.

Wait...what?

iYitsy

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
NY
How to set up hotmail :

iphone.jpg

It's the same for gmail but you switch the server to m.google.com

mobile_138740d_en.gif

thinkadam

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yahoo mail stopped pushing today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.