Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

UMichigan Professor Uses iPads to Remake the Chalkboard

Apple's big education announcement may be January 19th in New York City, but that doesn't mean Apple is the only company innovating in the educational space. University of Michigan professor Perry Samson has developed an iPad app called LectureTools that Samson hopes can turn laptops and iPads from a way to distract bored students into an interactive learning tool that keeps them engaged.

The Chronicle of Higher Education explains:
Quote:
For the app to be fully utilized, all of the students and the professor would need either an iPad or a laptop loaded with the software as they sit in the classroom. Then the instructor could use the iPad app to present slides that would show up on every student's screen and allow any student in the room to annotate the slides or ask a question. For instance, students could highlight points on a map using their iPads, and the group of responses would be visible--anonymously--to the entire class. Mr. Samson said the app freed him from the podium.
The app tracks students classroom participation, something Samson says could be used to spot early warning signs in students who may be having difficulty with the material. 20 classes are using LectureTools at the University of Michigan, but it's also being used at Ohio State and Michigan State.

Article Link: UMichigan Professor Uses iPads to Remake the Chalkboard
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2
adversus
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to adversus Send a message via AIM to adversus Send a message via MSN to adversus Send a message via Yahoo to adversus Send a message via Skype™ to adversus
All fine and dandy until one of those "Anonymous" markups is a giant penis over your Geometry lesson.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:31 PM   #3
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by adversus View Post
All fine and dandy until one of those "Anonymous" markups is a giant penis over your Geometry lesson.
I'm sure there are ways around that. These interactive things have been around long enough so that the programmers know about it & can put in workarounds if they choose to.
guzhogi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:31 PM   #4
diamond3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be anonymous to the class, but have the teacher be able to know who drew the inappropriate picture.

I don't really think it seems necessary be able to draw during a lecture, interactive quizzes seem just as beneficial without trying to interpret other students writing. I could maybe see something like a share button where the teacher could ask for a question, then on person raises their hand and can submit the work to the teacher for review and have it displayed.
diamond3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:13 PM   #5
baryon
macrumors 68030

Sounds fun, but it makes students focus on their own personal device instead on the same physical board. All students looking at the same board can create a stronger "group bond" in a way, I think.

Also, who would pay for iPads and laptops for each student? Because not all students have these.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:20 PM   #6
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond3 View Post
I don't really think it seems necessary be able to draw during a lecture, interactive quizzes seem just as beneficial without trying to interpret other students writing.
Think of all the different subjects out there! There are many situations that would benefit from drawing, even if it was just an arrow or a circle to direct attention to a certain portion of an image.
tk421 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Herdfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
all fine and dandy until one of those "anonymous" markups is a giant penis over your geometry lesson.
lol
Herdfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:04 PM   #8
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
Also, who would pay for iPads and laptops for each student? Because not all students have these.
Not every student has the $500 textbook for the class.

Oh wait, yes they do, because it's a listed required material.

The same person will pay for the iPad as the person who paid for the textbook, be it scholarship money, the student themselves, or the parent.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:12 PM   #9
pjsamson
macrumors newbie

How I Teach with an iPad

For the record (as the "Professor" in the story) I have described how I teach class with my iPad + laptop at http://www.sageonstage.com. I can draw on my slides, the students can draw on my slides but only on their own copy using LectureTools.

Students without iPads can use laptops. Students without laptops can text in their answers to questions on a cell phone. Students without cell phones, laptops or iPads (or who choose not to bring them) can hand in their answers on paper and I can credit their effort.

Last edited by pjsamson; Jan 11, 2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Response to comments
pjsamson is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Great idea, and from the description, sounds well executed.

Are the lectures viewable later? With annotations? How about recording the audio from the lecturer's iPad and making that available later?

There's a lot that can be done in this space. I'm glad somebody is.
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:26 PM   #11
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Folks - read this professor's blog. It has a very interesting and readable discussion of the tool. Despite the fact he is at UM his use of the tools is very interesting and finally gets us back to the roller equipped overhead.
jlc1978 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:48 PM   #12
Branskins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
Folks - read this professor's blog. It has a very interesting and readable discussion of the tool. Despite the fact he is at UM his use of the tools is very interesting and finally gets us back to the roller equipped overhead.
What do you mean despite the fact he is at UM? :O
Branskins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:05 PM   #13
sterlingindigo
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Go Sparty!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:43 PM   #14
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Not every student has the $500 textbook for the class.

Oh wait, yes they do, because it's a listed required material.
No, they don't. Many students make do with course reserves from the library.
Cougarcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:17 AM   #15
nylonsteel
macrumors 6502a

re original article

i'm for it

if the teacher can help the students having difficulty with the material

hate when teachers fawn over students who already know it all
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:57 AM   #16
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
No, they don't. Many students make do with course reserves from the library.
And many actually buy or rent the textbook. At my own college, I'd say that maybe 5% of students sometimes go with the "I can get it at the library, that'll be just as good" approach... although, IDK, maybe when you leave the STEM departments you end up with a lot more students thinking that's a good idea.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:21 AM   #17
OneOkami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branskins View Post
What do you mean despite the fact he is at UM? :O
I'd like to know the answer to that question as well.
OneOkami is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:39 AM   #18
tigres
macrumors 68040

Go Blue baby!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:12 PM   #19
yAak
macrumors newbie

For people confused about how students get ahold of said iPads:
School departments often have budgets for exactly this kind of thing, or technology grants that can only be used on these kinds of things. So they buy their department a batch of iPads to be used in-class. Think of it as buying desks or projectors.

The students in classes using this approach really aren't expected to come up with their own laptop or iPad.
yAak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:15 PM   #20
iPhD
macrumors member

Once again, in a story about a useful tool and an energized instructor who seems to care about student engagement, the information is distilled down to nothing more than a way to grab a hold of bored students (see paragraph 1).

Why must entertainment be a part of education? The prof referred to is an educator. His blog talks about engaging the students. This is important. It just frosts my chickens every time the media wails and moans about bored students. Going to school is the students' job. Engaging in the process of learning is their job. Keep in mind that if they don't engage from their end, it may not actually be the prof's fault. Students have more job security than the teachers. They can do a half-assed job and it's not their fault.
iPhD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:32 PM   #21
talmy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhD View Post
Going to school is the students' job. Engaging in the process of learning is their job. Keep in mind that if they don't engage from their end, it may not actually be the prof's fault.
I totally disagree. It's the professors job to engage the students. Students are paying the school and the professors. If the professors don't uphold their end of the deal students might as well just read the book and learn on their own. I applaud the effort of Professor Samson.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:03 PM   #22
SeanMcg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhD View Post
Once again, in a story about a useful tool and an energized instructor who seems to care about student engagement, the information is distilled down to nothing more than a way to grab a hold of bored students (see paragraph 1).

Why must entertainment be a part of education?... Engaging in the process of learning is their job. Keep in mind that if they don't engage from their end, it may not actually be the prof's fault....
Both sides have responsibilities, but there _is_ a difference between entertainment and engagement. Think about Ben Stein's character in Ferris Bueller's Day Off "Bueller, Bueller, Bueller?" I'd call that un-engaged. However, the way teachers engage their students need not be entertaining. I was forced to a read a book by the teacher I disliked the most in high school. My dislike wasn't for the workload, but because of her style. Yet that book has become my all-time favorite. I don't recommend her approach, but you couldn't say she wasn't engaged with her students.
SeanMcg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:09 PM   #23
iPhD
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
I totally disagree. It's the professors job to engage the students. Students are paying the school and the professors. If the professors don't uphold their end of the deal students might as well just read the book and learn on their own. I applaud the effort of Professor Samson.
Oh, I'm applauding him, also. I think tools in the classroom are great. When I fire up my own classroom, I feel like Lt. Sulu on the deck of the Enterprise.

My job as a prof is to be an expert in my field (math, by the way) and facilitate an individual's learning of it. If an individual is bored, the teacher can only do so much to try and engage him/her. You don't get a grade for warming the chair. Well, actually, some students do and then they wonder why it is an F.

In this story, I took issue with this tool and an adaptation of it getting presented as a way to grab the bored. Education is far more than that.
iPhD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:40 PM   #24
mohmandm
macrumors member

Sounds like a tool I would have loved using in my college classes. That being said... Go Green!
mohmandm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:55 PM   #25
spillproof
macrumors 68020

As a college student myself, I like this idea.

I already use "clickers" (response cards) and most recently and app on my iPhone that works as a clicker. The app it self was free and the license was $18 compared to $45 for a physical clicker.

If students can use more digital forms of learning, it saves them money (digital textbooks are hella cheaper, especially e-reader books) and can be more engaging.

That being said, I'm "old fashoned" and still prefer paper books with pen and paper. But, if the current younger generation grows up with all digital stuff, then I'm sure they'll prefer it.

And finally, it is the teachers job to be engaging. They can have all the iPads and apps they want, but if their teaching style puts kids to sleep regardless, then its all useless.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion