Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniSodaBiggieP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Brief Overview of Problem
While I was in Sao Paulo in February, the display on my iBook went nuts: the top 1/3 is fine, if a little dim, but the bottom 2/3 is just vertical lines. So I went to an Apple repair shop here in Brazil and I was told I need the following part: LCD Panel 661-3097. However, since I am in Brazil, I don't really want to shell out a LOT of money to fix this, so I am attaching photos of my problem to see if you think my problem is something else, something CHEAPER! Or if it is the LCD, where can I get one cheap? I'm on a Brazilian's budget!

Photos & Descriptions
http://www.iid8.com/Temp/Brightness Comparison.jpg
This photo shows that the display on my laptop is dimmer than the CRT monitor I'm now using. (NOTE: CRT Display is fine, just refreshing when I took picture)

http://www.iid8.com/Temp/LCD Screen.jpg
This shows the complete LCD screen on my iBook.

http://www.iid8.com/Temp/CloseUp.jpg
This one shows a detail of the vertical lines on the bottom 2/3 of my screen

QUESTIONS
1. Do you think the LCD Display is really my problem, or could it be a relay or video cable or inverter?
2. If it IS the LCD Display, where can I find a cheap one (less than $300)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

System
iBook G4 (14 in) 933 MHz; Mac OS X (10.3.9); 640 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive

liquidtrance123

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
plug in your CRT to your iBook if you get corruption on your CRT also its your ibook video card. If its only showing up on your LCD, its your iBook LCD. From the looks of it, it sounds like its the LCD. But what i mentioned above is the only way to make sure which it is.

MiniSodaBiggieP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Thanks--yeah, the monitor is plugged in and works fine. I just want to actually use my laptop for it's real purpose--surfing the web on the deck! :) Any more help to be had for that?

liquidtrance123

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
not really, you could try massaging the LCD screen gently to see if it makes a difference also you can try this: (BE VERY CAREFUL) try twisting your lcd screen to see if it makes it go away, i had a problem with an old dell awhile back where the LCD cable in the laptop itself was being pinched and causing artifacts. However if those tricks dont work your probably going to be needing a new LCD.

edit: unless you fashion an LCD monitor to your ibook using the mini-vga port :p

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
When did you buy it? You're not under warranty still?

I was going to say, right off the bat, that it's a 'Logic' (mother) board problem. The G3 iBooks were notorious for having problems like this. I had one that needed to be replaced three times for similar issues.

But if it displays on the CRT just fine, hrmm. Might be the cable, and not the LCD panel.

If you're still under warranty, I would try sending it to Apple - hopefully they'd replace it for you, no charge.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
I had a problem like this on an old laptop. It turned out to be the cable that was coming loose from the inside of the laptop. So maybe try twisting and contorting it oh-so-gently.

MiniSodaBiggieP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
liquidtrance123 said:
not really, you could try massaging the LCD screen gently to see if it makes a difference also you can try this: (BE VERY CAREFUL) try twisting your lcd screen to see if it makes it go away, i had a problem with an old dell awhile back where the LCD cable in the laptop itself was being pinched and causing artifacts. However if those tricks dont work your probably going to be needing a new LCD.

edit: unless you fashion an LCD monitor to your ibook using the mini-vga port :p

AliensAreFuzzy said:
It turned out to be the cable that was coming loose from the inside of the laptop. So maybe try twisting and contorting it oh-so-gently.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Massaging and contorting didn't work.... :( Oh, and I'm not under warranty, sadly.

Also, sometimes the bottom 2/3 is completely black (I think after a while the colored lines creep in.)

You guys have an idea how assured it is the LCD? If it's pretty certain, I'll have my parents buy an LCD right now and bring it down to Brazil to me. If it's still uncertain, I'll wait until I go back to the States in August and take it in to an authorized technician. Any help?? Thanks guys!

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I had the same problem with my iB G3, and it ended up being the Logic Board like crachoar said...

Mine needed to be repaired after I dropped it, and was $500 to get it fixed --- :eek:

Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.