Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:52 AM   #1
jwm2
macrumors regular

Show desktop?

I know this may sound like a stupid question but how do i show the desktop when i'm in other apps without closing all the windows. What i'm looking for is a shortcut like the one in windows xp or windows 7 where you click the icon to show the desktop. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:44 AM   #2
mainstay
macrumors 6502

system preferences >> keyboard >> keyboard shortcuts >> Expose & Spaces >> Desktop >> assign an unused key.

shift-command-d is for mac mail send, and when I assigned command-d it still seemed to want to go to desktop instead of sending... so you may have to play around with it.

on my other systems I don't use mac mail and command-d works like a champ...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:39 AM   #3
jwm2
macrumors regular

There isn't anything i can click on to do the same thing? I'm not used to all these keyboard shortcuts. I just came from windows 7 and while this is my second stint with macs, this is the first time i've migrated my main pc to mac.

My previous mac was a mac mini of which i had for about 3 months before selling it, it was overkill for what i was using it for and the extra money went to a netbook. So i'm having to relearn most of what i know when using mac osx.

Don't get me wrong i love using my iMac and wouldn't change it for the world, but i'm just used to clicking on something to show the desktop.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
mainstay
macrumors 6502

like this?

oh - I see... just re-read... you want a show desktop ICON or button like in 7....

hmm - apart from a 3rd party program to do that, I think the simplest would be to use a shortcut keyboard combo...

or maybe use hot-corners... although I find them annoying when you use mouse acceleration (always triggering them).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	319652  

Last edited by mainstay; Jan 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
mainstay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:52 AM   #5
jwm2
macrumors regular

Yeah i was looking for a shortcut icon or something similar but i think i've found something easier. I setup my hot corners in mission control to show desktop, so when i mouse into the lower right hand corner it shows the desktop. I also found using Function + F11 and Command + F3 works too. I just put a sticky note on my desktop to remind me of it
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Joos24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2 View Post
My previous mac was a mac mini of which i had for about 3 months before selling it, it was overkill for what i was using it for and the extra money went to a netbook. So i'm having to relearn most of what i know when using mac osx.

Don't get me wrong i love using my iMac and wouldn't change it for the world, but i'm just used to clicking on something to show the desktop.
A Mac mini was overkill?? Wow! You must've had some extremely light tasks that you needed to perform at the time.

As far a simple click to Show Desktop, you did the right thing in setting up a hot corner. I understand that you are concerned that this feature is already set up in Windows 7 without any changing of settings but it's actually already set up in Lion as well. Lion is very multitouch-based and if you were using a Magic Trackpad with you iMac or a Macbook then you would just do a 4-finger swipe UP and it would Show Desktop.
Joos24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:38 PM   #7
jwm2
macrumors regular

Yeah well the problem with it was i had it on my main television so i couldn't watch tv and surf the web at the same time, but as a HTPC it was a little overkill. So instead i just sold it and bought a netbook so i can browse the web and still watch tv. Yes i'm that lazy
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:41 AM   #8
iWind130290
macrumors member

Quote:
I know this may sound like a stupid question but how do i show the desktop when i'm in other apps without closing all the windows. What i'm looking for is a shortcut like the one in windows xp or windows 7 where you click the icon to show the desktop. Thanks in advance!
Use "Hot corner". I save right-bottom-side to active Show Desktop on Lion. Just need to move mouse to right-bottom side. Faster than using hotkeys so much.
iWind130290 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Daschund
macrumors member

Quote:
You can also Command+Option click on any visible part of the desktop. It will go to the desktop and hide all the other ones.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:51 AM   #10
LordVic
macrumors 65816

Two options I use:

Hot Corners - I've set lower left corner to automatically show desktop

Gestures - If you have a touchpad, you can enable it so that there's a gesture to go straight to desktop
LordVic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Cyberhec
macrumors newbie

I also just came from Win 7 to Mac. Is there a way to show desktop and then open only ONE application window? Say I want to drag something from the desktop into an application but too many windows are open. So I SHOW DESKTOP, then when I right-click the app (in the dock) that was previously on top, and open it, ALL OTHER app windows repopen as well.

Or how do you actually get to a file on the desktop in order to drag it to the app you're currently using?

Thanks in advance!
Cyberhec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:04 PM   #12
Icy1007
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a multi-button mouse that allows me to perform "show desktop". I also have "mission control", "app exposŤ", and "dashboard" assigned to the buttons on the side of my mouse.
It's a Logitech G700 if anyone wants to know.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:58 AM   #13
SCSI Cat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberhec View Post
I also just came from Win 7 to Mac. Is there a way to show desktop and then open only ONE application window? Say I want to drag something from the desktop into an application but too many windows are open. So I SHOW DESKTOP, then when I right-click the app (in the dock) that was previously on top, and open it, ALL OTHER app windows repopen as well.

Or how do you actually get to a file on the desktop in order to drag it to the app you're currently using?

Thanks in advance!
If I'm not missing anything, you would simply 'show desktop' and drag the item to the application's icon in the doc.
SCSI Cat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 07:31 AM   #14
hailhail
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberhec View Post

Thanks in advance!
There is nothing as good as the show desktop button on PC... That's why i did not migrate to Mac...

If mac put EXACTLY the same thing, i will go to mac. not without it.
hailhail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 08:43 PM   #15
Ktdhc
macrumors member

Try this: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7520/show-desktop
Ktdhc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 03:16 PM   #16
John44
macrumors newbie

Yes it can be done. So go buy a Mac.

Show Desktop - View Desktop
Command + F3 will show the desktop.
For other OS X keyboard shortcuts see also http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

"Say I want to drag something from the desktop into an application but too many windows are open."

Open a "New Finder Window":: press [Command N] or Click on the top menu File>New Finder Window. Select "Desktop" as your new finder window. Now you have the desktop in its own window.

You can select how you want to view (4 ways) & arrange (9 ways) the desktop files & folders. You can change the size & move the Desktop Finder Window wherever you want. Leave it open or minimize it into the dock. It contains all the files & folders that are on the desktop. And you can drag things from that Desktop Finder Window into an application.

Show desktop button? Oooooo

You can open any application in another desktop. The same files & folders will be available.
With a Mac you are not limited to one desktop:
I use a track-pad. With a track-pad you can quickly swipe left with three fingers to see new blank Desktops (up to 5 separate desktops). There you can do anything you normally do on any other desktop. You can swipe back and forth between each desktop window without having to close the programs you have opened in each of the 5 desktops. Any changes made to files & directories in one desktop will be applied to all the desktops & those same files will be available in all desktops.

Also swipe up with tree fingers will separate all open programs, finder windows, etc on that desktop.
Then swipe up with two fingers will separate all windows of a specific program. Makes finding things on a desktop easy.

I could go on. Better stop there.

Last edited by John44; Mar 5, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
John44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion