Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Target Confirms Plans to Bring Dedicated Apple Shops to 25 Stores

Reuters reports that Target has confirmed its plans to launch "store-within-a-store" concepts for Apple products in 25 of its stores around the United States. The announcement comes alongside a broader effort called "the Shops at Target" that will offer special focuses on certain products and brands.
Quote:
Target Corp (TGT.N), known to many U.S. shoppers as the place to go for trendy, low-priced merchandise, will soon have shops within its discount stores selling everything from dog treats to high-end home accessories.

Target also confirmed during a presentation on Thursday that it will have 25 stores featuring special displays of Apple Inc (AAPL.O) merchandise, a move that had been speculated about last week.
Word of Target's plans first surfaced late last week, with Apple and Target reportedly teaming up to place the locations in areas without sufficient customer base to support full Apple retail stores.

Neither Apple nor Target has provided details on just what the store-within-a-store concepts will entail, although some are looking to perhaps a scaled-down version of the "Apple Shop" model used in many Best Buy stores as a possibility.

Article Link: Target Confirms Plans to Bring Dedicated Apple Shops to 25 Stores
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2
soco
macrumors 68030

I'm excited for this. I shop Target quite a bit and the only gripe I've ever had with them is their tech accessories department and help (or lack thereof.)

Hopefully their sub-par training doesn't effect the Apple SIS (Store in Store).
soco is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:46 AM   #3
*LTD*
Banned

A touch of class. Sounds good.
*LTD* is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:46 AM   #4
roratus
macrumors member

Sigh...

Boooooooo-----hissss!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:47 AM   #5
David085
Banned

Looking forward for Apple stores in Target
David085 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

As long as they have a trained staff, I'll be fine with it. Consolidating the places I frequent is a good thing, too.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:51 AM   #7
sk1wbw
In Time-Out

Hopefully they will have authentic Apple employees and not Target employees running the place. You'll remember what ChumpUSA did to the Apple stuff there...
sk1wbw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:51 AM   #8
soco
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Class indeed, but do you view Target stores as low-class as Walmart? By the way, your 'tar threw me off.
soco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:54 AM   #9
me2000
macrumors 6502

This is good news. Target is a much better shopping experience than Walmart is for me. I hope they don't screw this up.
me2000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Buying doggy treats and an iPad under the same roof sounds great!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:57 AM   #11
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

i hope that having macs in a store like Target won't diminish the quality of Apple's brand name, but I guess Target has a reputation for carrying high quality at affordable prices and I also like that people who otherwise don't have access to an Apple store will be able to get them at Target!
george-brooks is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

If the John Lewis example in the UK is anything to go by, it won't result in massive discounts been offered compared to RRP but consumers may benefit from additional warranty (2 years instead of 1 comes as standard at John Lewis in the UK) and the odd bundle been offered. And if you are a John Lewis partner or employee, you get 10% discounts even on iPads
Confuzzzed is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:04 AM   #13
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

I bet these will be strategically placed in larger markets that still lack an apple store. I think Apple realized they need a little more hands on reassurance to switchers and I don't think best buy is providing that.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:06 AM   #14
csjo00
macrumors regular

I'm excited. I hope they bring one to the Target in my area. If they do, I'll be one of the first to apply for a position.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:09 AM   #15
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Hopefully this means they are abandoning the downward spiral that is Best Buy.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:11 AM   #16
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

They are remodeling the interior for my local Target now....hopefully the two are related. Closest legit Apple Store is 45 minute away, although we do have Peach Mac.
ugahairydawgs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Themaeds
macrumors regular

I don't need hipsters infiltrating the normal population of hot girls that usually frequent Target
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:12 AM   #18
nylonsteel
macrumors 6502a

re original article

i'll buy my cheap but comfy crew socks from target

i'll buy my future ip5 directly from aapl online
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:13 AM   #19
Frobozz
macrumors 65816

I love Target. I love Apple. If they put one in the Jersey City location I am a goner.
Frobozz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:13 AM   #20
840quadra

I fully welcome this. I live in Minnesota, and am a big fan of our local company, and how well it has done in the past decade. Having the ability to buy more Apple products only a few miles from my home would be a welcome addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
As compared to what? I pass up 2 Wal*Marts just to go to a Target because it is much better (IMO) Shopping experience, and feels a bit more up-market (yes it is still a thrift store).
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:38 AM   #21
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if JC Penny is going to do the same...
paul4339 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:42 AM   #22
aprilfools
macrumors regular

No no no

I dont like it. I realize Apple is in the business of selling to the end user consumer but I just don't like the idea of apple being represented by Target. Might as well start selling Apple stuff at a 7-11

I am a professional musician by trade and this is like me going to a Best Buy to purchase my music equipment. No. Not gonna happen. Something is just not right about that.

Last edited by aprilfools; Jan 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
aprilfools is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:47 AM   #23
Joos24
Banned

This is a very good idea. I wish some of the elitist people here would get off their high horse as if Apple is some premium god. They make incredibly great stuff and IMO they are far ahead of the industry but at the end of the day it's about "Customer Convenience" and not about Apple's premium reputation going down the drain. There are people who don't live near anyplace that showcases Apple products. Ordering online is great but it still doesn't take the place the of hands-on experience before purchasing.
Joos24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:50 AM   #24
Constable Odo
macrumors regular

Apple should easily be able to keep a handle on 25 Target stores to ensure that everything runs smoothly. I understand the reason for Apple doing this because I'm sure there are a lot of consumers around the country demanding stand-alone Apple stores, but I do hope Apple is doing the right thing. I wouldn't say that Apple is spreading itself too thin. I'm sure this venture will be good for both parties involved. My only hope is that Apple uses the same methods to run these Target-Apple stores like their standalone versions.
Constable Odo is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:51 AM   #25
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

Target is overpriced and sucks. This won't save them.

One time I went to Target to buy a blu-ray movie and brought with me the Best Buy ad (they were sold out) to ask them to price match. They wouldn't match it for me because the picture in the ad looked different from the product I grabbed from the shelves. I knew that it was an alternative cover and pleaded that if they looked up the model/part number, they'd see it was actually the same exact product. Furthermore, they said it was normally $24.99 Regular Price at Target, but since it said $19.99 Regular Price at Best Buy, it couldn't possibly be the same product. So I left and ordered it online from Best Buy. You suck Target.
GREEN4U is offline   -4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion