Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MARQY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
I’d like to upgrade my memory. I currently have an iMac mid 2007 with 2 memory slots (totalling 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM). I chatted with one of the Apple customer support people online and he said that it can support up to 4GB total (2 GB in each slot). I checked Crucial website and it said I can have up to 4 GB (2X2). However, searching on Mac forums, it looks like there is an official max and a working max and that I can have as much as 6 GB (2 GB, 4 GB). But then I also read that the 2 slots need to be of matching size.

Anyone know the official working max and if I can have the slots be different sizes? Can I have a 2 GB and a 4 GB?

My details:
iMAC
20-inch, Mid 2007
Serial Number W88063X2X86
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4
Serial Number (system): W88063X2X86
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC2121778

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, the slots can have different sizes, although matching pairs of RAM can provide a slight improvement in performance. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
  • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
  • By using Mactracker
  • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have that exact same computer. 6GB is the way to go which you can get here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/5300DDR2S6GP/

Though you may want to do 4GB just because its half the price. In my opinion, the more RAM for Lion, the better. 6GB works pretty great for me as far as using it as an everyday computer and some light work in Logic Express. I'll probably ride this pony for another 2-3 years.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
I've a 24" of your machine. I brought it up to 4GB from Crucial when I bought the machine in 2007.

We don't use it very hard and 4GB is ample.

Use Activity Monitor to see how much you're currently accessing with your use to see if 6GB is really going to be required.

I do understand the "highest spec must be best" mentality, I've stuffed the 2010 2.93 i7 with 16GB!

MARQY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks this is great info. With the objective to run as faste as possible, the main questions is: does the benefit of having matching pairs of RAM (2+2=4) outweigh the increased memory of 6GB (2+4=6)?

I do use heavy processing programs: Photoshop, iMovie, Torq (DJ software), Ableton Live (production software), Rosetta Stone (I hear it uses a lot of RAM). Sometimes I run Torq and Ableton Love together but usually I don't have more than 1 heavy program running. I will look into using Activity Monitor to measure use.

It's actually not THAT bad but of course I want to maximize speed given that I've upgraded to Lion (without REALLY thinking about impacts to speed).

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks this is great info. With the objective to run as faste as possible, the main questions is: does the benefit of having matching pairs of RAM (2+2=4) outweigh the increased memory of 6GB (2+4=6)?

I do use heavy processing programs: Photoshop, iMovie, Torq (DJ software), Ableton Live (production software), Rosetta Stone (I hear it uses a lot of RAM). Sometimes I run Torq and Ableton Love together but usually I don't have more than 1 heavy program running. I will look into using Activity Monitor to measure use.

It's actually not THAT bad but of course I want to maximize speed given that I've upgraded to Lion (without REALLY thinking about impacts to speed).

No, increased RAM negates any drawbacks that matching pairs would give you. Not to mention I regularly use all of it, as in if I go into Activity Monitor I find myself under 2 or 1 GB regularly, but it never runs slow or it's never not enough. Of course you may differ.

I mean you may be able to get by with 4 GB. I will say that Safari seems to use the most RAM, so maybe use another browser?

Last edited:

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
to the OP, Have you installed 6gb ram? i got the same machine like yours & also want to upgrade it to 6gb.

Thanks..

StarBucks!

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
I have a similar issue with my 24" iMac I currently have 3 gigs of ram (1+2) but since the max is 6 and my machine is running slow I'd like to swap the 1 gig ram with a 4 gig stick of ram. Where is the best place to buy a 4 gig stick of ram? I checked macsales and they want $100 for a single 4 gig stick WTF!!! Just yesterday I bought 8 gigs of ram (4gigx2) for my late 2008 macbook from them for $80 so why would one stick for my iMac be more than double the cost? Any advice on where to find a more affordable option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.