Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Does anyone know the max photo size (dimensions) the 4S will take, also the size of the photo in MB?

No where is this info published on Apple's site.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The pixel dimensions are 3264 x 2448.

No one can tell you the file size because JPG compression will be different for every photo. Pictures of thousands of blades of grass will take up more space than a close up of a face. Generally they'll be in the 2 - 4 MB range, I think. But that's just a rough estimate.

smartbot

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
The iPhone 4s takes 8 Megapixel 3264x2448 images (sizes vary). You can get apps like Camera HD+ that will allow you to take shots using various megapixel ratings.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Looking at a series of photos I have taken they vary from 1.7mb - 3.6mb.

Night time grainy photos will be the largest. As stated above complicated detailed photos compress worse so the files are largest. The grain/noise in low light photos is "detail" as far as the compression goes.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Impossible, as stated above. Have you not noticed this with your existing JPG images of the same resolution?

Huh? what is impossible, I am trying to figure out what you mean....

But I do understand what everyone has mentioned, I will have to take some shots to see, as I was going to get a LifeProof Case to use underwater, but I am not sure what the photos will look like.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Does anyone know the max photo size (dimensions) the 4S will take, also the size of the photo in MB?

No where is this info published on Apple's site.

Printable size? You can print and 8x10 if the exposure is good. One could go larger too, but quality of said print from this tiny sensor would ultimately be up to you to decide.

MB Size will range from 1.5 to say 4mb depending on the image/ISO, etc....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.