Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shemja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
I'm trying to view Apple communities to look at an iPad case thread I read a few months back, but apple.com keeps requiring me to sign in twice and then select a username to even view community topics. When I put in a username for my Apple ID, I get this error message, "An account utilizing this email address already exists. Only one account per email address is allowed on Apple Support Communities."

The bottom of the page say it's on Create Apple ID when I already have one and logged in. I didn't ask to create a new account, but it pigeonholes me here and I can't get back to that support thread.

When I look at the Manage My Apple ID page, it shows my email address is my merged ID and is only effective on iTunes and iChat. I have no option to add or create a username on my Apple ID account.

Am I not allowed to create a username for their communities on one Apple ID? I don't want multiples. Anyone have a solution or insight for this?

nexus600

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
Same problem

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.
I used to be able to connect to the Apple communities before they revamped it in 2011.
Now when I try to sign in today, it keeps seeing me as a guest so I can't ask questions.
I will comeback to post if I find a solution.
Good luck!

Shemja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
I called Apple and they easily duplicated the problem. It is not supposed to be doing that. They said they were getting someone on it right away. So, it's not us. It's the website.

Shemja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Believe it or not, I'm still having the same problem after all this time. Apple has fixed nothing. Can anyone else get into Apple forums?

Peje85

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Funny that...

I am having the exact same problem! Rather cynical: I was trying to resolve an issue I was having with iPhoto and found a recent discussion where somebody was having the same issue. There was a possible solution, so I was just going to comment that I was having the same issue (exactly the same as I am now) and that was when I was presented with the current issue instead! So here I am, unable to "register" my account and therefor unable to read the possible solution! Haha!

jsm88

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
this is insane

same problem - apparently this has been going on for MONTHS?!? and of course, I can't get into apple support to get help with it.

I have been a pc hobbyist for 32 years, from my apple II, franklin and fat mac to the last 25 years with PCs and I have NEVER had so many problems with a piece of software until i bought a lion server. I guess the reality distortion field actually made mac os software (and support) look reasonable.

Since apple has made me persona non grata - I need the applewikiimporter in order to get any use out of this silver shoe box - can anyone point me to somewhere to get it outside the apple site (same problem when I try to login to the dev network) that won't ask me to login and then demand that I create a new account when I do......? (and then never let me in??)

amswitzer

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Same problem and Apple support cannot help resolve it. I'm trying to get into the section dealing with Migration Assistant problems on the Apple Communities, because that's not work either.

So, I have a new Mac that I can't migrate stuff over to so it's useless. Apple can't help, and I can't get help myself on the Apple Communities.

I'm getting the feeling that Apple has just gotten so big and so successful that they no longer need to rely on servicing customer issues once you've made the purchase. Their products are outstanding, no question, but you cannot treat users like this.

So the new MacBook Pro that I bought is about a day away from going back to the store and I'll stick with my PC, which by the way, I have never had this kind of crap.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Same problem and Apple support cannot help resolve it. I'm trying to get into the section dealing with Migration Assistant problems on the Apple Communities, because that's not work either.

So, I have a new Mac that I can't migrate stuff over to so it's useless. Apple can't help, and I can't get help myself on the Apple Communities.

I'm getting the feeling that Apple has just gotten so big and so successful that they no longer need to rely on servicing customer issues once you've made the purchase. Their products are outstanding, no question, but you cannot treat users like this.

So the new MacBook Pro that I bought is about a day away from going back to the store and I'll stick with my PC, which by the way, I have never had this kind of crap.

Apple Store genius bar can migrate data for you. Make appointment:
http://www.apple.com/retail/

amswitzer

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Apple Store genius bar can migrate data for you. Make appointment:
http://www.apple.com/retail/
Thanks for the advice. I will do that if I can't get it fixed on my own. Apple is calling me at home this evening to attempt to resolve the problem. My faith in Apple is slowing being restored just be making an appointment to call me back. The rep I spoke to also confirmed that she could not get into the Apple Support Communities due to the same issue that started this thread, apologized that it's taken so long to fix, and assured me that this will be escalated. We'll see what happens.

Russlush3

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
wow, this is pretty dumb, another month and yet the problem still persists. Encountering the same problem as of 5 minutes ago :mad:

blarkk

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Funnier

I am having the exact same problem! Rather cynical: I was trying to resolve an issue I was having with iPhoto and found a recent discussion where somebody was having the same issue. There was a possible solution, so I was just going to comment that I was having the same issue (exactly the same as I am now) and that was when I was presented with the current issue instead! So here I am, unable to "register" my account and therefor unable to read the possible solution! Haha!

I was trying to open a thread about problems logging on to communities when it wouldn't let me even view the posts without logging on to communities.

DeZYnur

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
Got it to work for me, after much trial and error

I was having the same exact problems as the folks above. I even called Apple to see if they had any suggestions or knew of any problems.

While talking on the phone with a woman at Apple, I pretty much stumbled across what worked for me:

Another forum had mentioned visiting appleid.apple.com to check for multiple accounts. Click the Find Out option on the right side of the screen to verify that you have an account.

That takes you to a page where you enter your first name, last name, and email address. You're greeted with two options to retrieve the info: via email or by answering your security questions. I just had it sent to my email address.

After visiting the link provided in the email message from Apple, I saw two accounts were listed there: (1) my Apple ID account which I use for pretty much everything (including iTunes... and I can sign into iTunes with my Apple ID just fine) and (2) a screen name that I guess I had selected for the forums in the past.

So, what worked for me was to use option 2: my screen name and associated password rather than my normal email address-based Apple ID and Apple ID password.

The woman I was speaking with agreed that it was strange that it wouldn't let me log in with my Apple ID, but didn't offer any solutions on that.

robains

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
California
DeZYnur - that process didn't work for me, all it does is just reset my AppleID password.

This has been going on for many months now. I've Emailed and called and they've even stepped thru the problem with me to verify ... and yet it has NOT been fixed.

I'm down to only two Mac products now (an iPhone and iMac), but I gotta say that I'm both sad and happy to be moving away from the Apple line of products and "services". It's not that Microsoft is that much better, it's just that I don't have all the BS ignorance -- "everything is perfect, nothing can be or will be wrong with any Apple product" -- that I do with Apple.

Their support communities has reached the highest levels of paranoid delusions -- it's VERY spooky place to visit, kinda surrealistic. It's not even a good place to look for solutions to problems any more as the fanaticism will kill just about any useful information.

UPDATE: I was able to get in by NOT using my AppleID (which was my Email address) ... I used my old "user name" and password to get into their forums. It's a big mess, it's saying I have another Email associated to my account, but after logging in, there is nothing listed? Whatever they did with iCloud migration they really screwed it up ... but hey, Apple doesn't make mistakes and apparently since they don't make mistakes, there is nothing to fix ;)

Last edited:

Evahk4

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
I had the exact same problem, but after following DeZYnur's advice I managed to log in with a second login name I created few years ago (and in the meantime forgot all about). You have to go all the way and ask to change password - then I was asked to choose between my two login names, which was how I discovered the 2nd one...

Stupid, but it works.

turnkit

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
Apple Sucks

Same exact problem.

Way to reward someone who has been a long time Apple user and already had a Communities account: auto-ban them due to retarded programming (no offense meant to retarded or otherwise mentally challenged folks.)

I am disenchanted with Apple. Go Samsung and Windows 8! lol

robains

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
California
Same exact problem.

Way to reward someone who has been a long time Apple user and already had a Communities account: auto-ban them due to retarded programming (no offense meant to retarded or otherwise mentally challenged folks.)

I am disenchanted with Apple. Go Samsung and Windows 8! lol

Apple is great if you like iGadgets and don't mind being dictated what is good for you and don't mind buying the latest "upgrades" every year, and don't mind being dropped like a hot potato. It seems there are plenty of folks OK with this -- for how long I don't know, but for now it's the money Well feeding Apple and they are extracting every last ounce.

I just picked up a Nexus 7 - it puts an iPad 3 to shame for 1/2 the price - and more importantly it even looks cool, feels cool, and is WAY more manageable than that big and klunky iPad3.

But, as all things big, it never lasts -- the one thing Apple execs have not understood, the more you try to "control" a situation, the less likely you'll succeed ... it's just human nature. But do the Apple Execs care? Not really, they're about to cash out now and go the way of many early 80' and 90's Microsoft execs ... Microsoft sold out to India and Apple is selling out to China. Funny how that works -- nothing really changes, just the names are different.

extracampine

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2012
Same problem here. Funnily enough Apple will take my money when I purchase apps via the app store with my ID, but when I try and log on to the support website it lets me log in, then asks for my password again for security purposes, then prompts me to choose a username, then says that there is already an annount associated with this ID and wont let me log in!

To add salt to the wound, I cant even access the help forums to find solutions as it keeps bringing me to the apple ID page when I click on a link!!

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!

Battleship

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I'm having issues with this as well. I was prompted to log in using my appleID that I've had for years. Then prompted to select a user name for the forums. I chose one that their webpage indicated was "available". But then I got an error saying it was associated with another email. So I tried to set up a second appleID with a different email. I went through the entire form and clicked submit and nothing happened. Nothing was set up. The website is crap. I've been a loyal Apple user for years. I'm getting tired of this lock down mentality and a complete lack of fault. This iOS 6 update was a freaking mess. Now I can't even get into their support forum to look at alternative solutions. Wow, I'm starting to sound like a fandroid. :/

JoeBeach

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Consultant's response is just the way Apple wants it. Don't try to do anything yourself, bring it in and we will fix it. This is always the problem I have had with Apple. Nine months and no solution? Well where else are you going to go except Apple and now you are stuck.

rubydluxe

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Same Problem for Me

I just got an Ipad 3 a week and a half ago and wanted to post my disappointment regarding the Ipad 4 release. I can't log in just says unexpected error. I've never owned anything from Apple before so I know I don't have more than one Apple ID. Are you telling me they have had this problem since January and still haven't fixed it? That is crazy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.