Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Closed Thread

Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:34 PM   #1
bslax28
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to bslax28
brand new powerbook g4 issues

so i got a 12" pb two days ago. its incredible, superdrive, 80 gb, 1.5 ghz.. etc.. lovin it. but.. i have two questions about it. first, AIM crashes after about 10 minutes of IMing. i just click try again and it opens up no problem, but then crashes several minutes later. any idea why? should i delete it and then reinstall it? any other suggestions?

also, i assume this is normal, but im stiting here iwth my pb on my lab watching tv and its really hot. i mean, reallly hot. how hot do your powerbooks get and is this a problem at all? should it not be used for extended periods of time?

thanks for the help
bslax28 is offline   0
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:49 PM   #2
livingfortoday
macrumors 68030

I would recommend Adium over AIM, just off the bat. Much more fun to use, you can get it at: http://adiumx.com/. Other than that, yeah, my PowerBook heats up, but not so much that I can't use it. I do avoid putting it on my lap, though. Are you running and programs that take heavy processing power? Oddly enough, even Firefox is a huge CPU drain, so you may wanna limit the amount of apps running at the same time if you're using it on the go.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:20 PM   #3
bslax28
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to bslax28
thanks, adium works well. this is my first mac, after going through 4 pc's, and i love it. who cares if it was made obsolete two days after i bought it? haha
bslax28 is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2005, 01:45 PM   #4
livingfortoday
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslax28
thanks, adium works well. this is my first mac, after going through 4 pc's, and i love it. who cares if it was made obsolete two days after i bought it? haha
Hey, if you bought it and Apple released a new version right afterwards, you may be able to trade it in. Give them a call. If that's what you meant be "obsolete" of course.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
yep, they get pretty hot. I would recommend some kind of stand for it, it's easier on the wrists and keeps it cooler, definitely a good idea when you're mobile as the fan can use a fair amount of power.
Ugg is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2005, 02:25 PM   #6
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslax28
also, i assume this is normal, but im stiting here iwth my pb on my lab watching tv and its really hot. i mean, reallly hot. how hot do your powerbooks get and is this a problem at all? should it not be used for extended periods of time?
I've read good things about the iLap from http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html I'm thinking about getting it. As far as temperatures go, a lot of people reccomend downloading Temperature Monitor from VersionTracker at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994 .
devilot is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2005, 02:42 PM   #7
altair
macrumors regular

I just make sure to have a pillow on my lap or something :P

However, no need for condom's now, just cook the little buggers
"But then anyone who has been to any of the higher dimensions will know that they are a pretty nasty heathen lot up there who should just be smashed and done in, and would be, too, if anyone could work out a way of firing missiles at right angles to reality." - Hitchhikers Guide
altair is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:06 PM   #8
katie ta achoo
macrumors 601
Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by altair
I just make sure to have a pillow on my lap or something :P
The pillow will actually absorb heat and make the powerbook get super hot. No es bueno!
the icepad(?) from MacAlly is nice. I have one (but can't remember the exact name!)
it can either be a little tilted stand or you fold it out to make a lap stand.
it's got airflow channels and everything!
I love my Mac accessories... hahaha

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs