Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:33 AM   #1
daveb99
macrumors newbie

External USB Superdrive not working in Windows 7 Bootcamp

I've recently fitted a Crucial M4 SSD to my 17" 2009 MBP and everything works perfectly under Lion. However I can't see the Superdrive in Windows 7 (Bootcamp).

High level summary of the process I followed (Clean install of Lion and Win7 bootcamp):

1. Fitted SSD to HDD bay
2. Installed Lion and Windows 7 via usual Bootcamp process
3. Removed internal Superdrive, fitted my old HDD in an Optibay clone.
4. Fitted Superdrive to an external USB enclosure.

Everything works perfectly in OS X Lion. But in Windows 7, my Superdrive isn't working properly.

Basically, in Devices, there is something showing up as 'USB to Serial ATA Bridge' which only appears when I plug in the USB Superdrive. So that must be Windows 7 recognising the tiny PCB inside the Superdrive enclosure - all good so far. It also identifies it as an Optical drive, and when I right click on the icon, in the Hardware tab it even shows the drive model, which is a Matshita UJ-868.

However, when I insert a DVD, or any kind of disc, e.g. Windows software etc, it spins up, but then slows down, and eventually just shuts down again. The above device remains present throughout in Devices.

I downloaded the latest Apple Support software for Win7 as part of the Bootcamp process, and have also downloaded the latest Apple software for Windows 7 using the updater in Windows.

Could it be a driver issue? In Devices, under Hardware, it seems to be using a generic windows driver (C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys).

Help! This is driving me mad. There must be loads of people who have done the same thing as me (i.e. converted an internal superdrive to a USB one) - surely it is something simple?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated !

Last edited by daveb99; Jan 13, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
daveb99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:37 AM   #2
maflynn

If memory serves me, this a known problem and I don't think there is a work around - short of adding the optical drive back in
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:00 AM   #3
daveb99
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
If memory serves me, this a known problem and I don't think there is a work around - short of adding the optical drive back in
Thanks, so if that's the case, is my only option to buy a different external DVD drive ?
daveb99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:56 PM   #4
mjohns930
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb99 View Post
Thanks, so if that's the case, is my only option to buy a different external DVD drive ?
No. You have to put the optical drive back in the computer to make it work. If you read post #2 here I have found a work around but it requires a Macbook Air.
mjohns930 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro