Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

MobileMe to iCloud Transition Gives You 25GB Storage Until June 30th, 2012

With the MobileMe to iCloud transition service launched for developers tonight, Apple has revealed what it plans on doing with existing MobileMe accounts moving over to iCloud.

While MobileMe and iCloud accounts are quite different there are some overlapping parts. iCloud will continue to house Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Bookmarks, Find My Phone, and Back to My Mac, while dropping support for iWeb Publishing, Gallery and iDisk. Meanwhile, iCloud adds iTunes in the Cloud, Photo Stream, Documents in the Cloud, Automatic downloads of apps and books, and iOS device backup and restore.

During the transition, Apple has promised to keep existing MobileMe accounts active until June 30, 2012. What wasn't entirely clear was how the storage requirements would shift over to iCloud. Current individual MobileMe customers have 20GB of storage included in their yearly plan.

Apple has decided to move this one-to-one over to iCloud and is automatically signing up MobileMe users to the 20GB (+ 5GB free) tier plan in iCloud at no charge. We previously detailed the iCloud additional storage pricing which puts 25GB of storage at a normal yearly price of $40 USD per year.

Users are automatically signed up for recurring billing with the next payment date for the plan to be June 30th, 2012 -- the same date that the rest of MobileMe shuts down. You may choose to downgrade before that time, and not get charged.

It's not clear how much an average user will need on iCloud. Apple claims 5GB "goes a long way". With the loss of MobileMe's iDisk, individual storage requirements could easily go down with iCloud, but the addition of iOS backups could easily push you over the 5GB limits. Apple is expected to launch iCloud in the fall alongside iOS 5.

Article Link: MobileMe to iCloud Transition Gives You 25GB Storage for 1st Year

Last edited by arn; Aug 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Ahhhh MobileMe...the gift that keeps giving.

Thanks for the 20GB Apple!
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Morod
macrumors 65816

Just let me access iCloud with Snow Leopard. Please, Apple!
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Biscuit411
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm running Snow Leopard and use iWeb for three different sites. I'll wait...
Biscuit411 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:26 PM   #5
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Not sure what I'm supposed to use the 20GB for. AFAIK, you can't boost your photo stream storage, there's no direct storage access, etc.
jaw04005 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:26 PM   #6
johnecampos
macrumors newbie

The renewal date in the article incorrectly says '2011' and probably a correctly 2013. Something that proof-reading should have caught.
johnecampos is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:29 PM   #7
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecampos View Post
the renewal date in the article incorrectly says '2011' and probably a correctly 2013. Something that proof-reading should have caught.
saving107 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:31 PM   #8
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
Not sure what I'm supposed to use the 20GB for. AFAIK, you can't boost your photo stream storage, there's no direct storage access, etc.
On the beta I'm only at 1.5GB, well under the 5GB limit. It would take a lot of docs to just get me up to 5GB not to mention 25GB.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther

Last edited by QuarterSwede; Aug 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Changed storage amount.
QuarterSwede is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Menel
macrumors 601

Yay for free 20GB

5GB goes a long way. 93apps, and a bunch of photos, iCloud backup is only ~350MB, apps themselves aren't backed up, just settings and data associated with the app. Music isn't backed up either don't think
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:44 PM   #10
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So there is no iDisk equivalent in iCloud? That really sucks. I use mine for random file transfers and was essentially the one convenience I felt justified paying for. Guess I have to jump on the dropbox bandwagon
ZZ Bottom is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:46 PM   #11
Apple...
macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morod
Same here!
Apple... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:49 PM   #12
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Bottom View Post
So there is no iDisk equivalent in iCloud? That really sucks. I use mine for random file transfers and was essentially the one convenience I felt justified paying for. Guess I have to jump on the dropbox bandwagon
You should've jumped over a long time ago. iDisk isn't in the same league as Dropbox, it's that much better.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:53 PM   #13
happyslayer
macrumors 6502

I have both iDisk and dropbox, but much prefer iDisk!! It was one of the best things about MobileMe. I am sooooo disappointed with Apple for taking it away.

Oh well.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:08 AM   #14
Justinf79
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyslayer View Post
I have both iDisk and dropbox, but much prefer iDisk!! It was one of the best things about MobileMe. I am sooooo disappointed with Apple for taking it away.

Oh well.
I didn't like iDisk myself. I use Dropbox and love it. I like how it integrates with Finder and can be accessed from my Android phone.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:10 AM   #15
El Maestro
macrumors newbie

Serving Files?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but will there be something equivalent to the "Public" folder of the iDisk? I use it to serve large files to my clients and it works well for this (when the damn things actually upload).

If the iCloud won't have this kind of functionality, is there another way to host files for people to download without building a website?
El Maestro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:11 AM   #16
robanga
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyslayer View Post

Oh well.
I have always found iDisk to be slower than DB. Not yourself, i take it?

Having said that, i still have used iDisk a lot. Not sure if I will go 100% over to DB or do some other 3rd option. I also use a pro version of Evernote which allows you to store files.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:14 AM   #17
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morod View Post
Very unlikely that Leopard and Snow Leopard will be supported by Apple for iCloud services.

Maybe a 3rd party will fill the void.

Especially for those of us who heavily use Back to Mac for family support.
OriginalMacRat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 01:04 AM   #18
mrr
macrumors regular

I use both iDisk and Dropbox a lot and I prefer iDisk for when I want to transmit large files to other people.

I hope that Apple figures out a way to maintain iDisk functionality at a low or free cost.

Unfortunately I can't upgrade to Lion as there too many of my apps require Rosetta.

Last edited by mrr; Aug 7, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
mrr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 01:21 AM   #19
japanime
macrumors 65816

I started with iTools. Then dot-Mac. Now MobileMe. I guess I'll be going to iCloud next. I just hope Apple allows those of us outside the United States to use Music Match as well.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 01:37 AM   #20
SeaFox
macrumors 68000

Good to hear this. It was one of the things that bothered me when they announced that paltry 5 GB space on iCloud.

Last edited by SeaFox; Aug 7, 2011 at 01:44 AM.
SeaFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 01:41 AM   #21
AC Rempt
macrumors 6502

I'm curious to see how the loss of iDisk will affect me because I use it a lot. I know dropbox is out there, but I've been using iDisk as long as it's been available, and I didn't want to bother changing over to DB since iDisk has always worked just fine for me.

I don't sync all my photos and music, etc. I just sync files I need for work like Word files, .pdfs and .html files.

My understanding is that iCloud will move/sync files between my machines without the online storage, but I'm not sure how I am supposed to tell it which files to sync.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 01:48 AM   #22
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Bottom View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, I was a big iDisk user, too. The integration into Apple's apps & Finder was too good to pass up, especially for the iPad's iWork suite. While some of that will be replaced in iCloud, the MacOS desktop features don't look like they'll be (iCloud seems to be on an app-by-app basis like iOS, rather than a file system browser like OS X and Windows).

I had a 40GB (capacity) iDisk and I've moved everything to a 50GB DropBox account. While it does cost some $$ per year, so did a big iDisk. And with nearly all of the iCloud features being free, I'll actually come out ahead - even with the annual fee at DropBox.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:05 AM   #23
shuka.margolin
macrumors newbie

another time apple fails its users

for years I have been paying apple for mobilem and built many sites and galleries with it. Now I am left in the dark with no way to salvage all the work I have invested in this.

shuka.margolin is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:32 AM   #24
ErnestoD
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuka.margolin View Post
for years I have been paying apple for mobilem and built many sites and galleries with it. Now I am left in the dark with no way to salvage all the work I have invested in this.

I would suggest that you also start a system like what i have running now with around 10 TB of storage and it is DLNA certified so streaming towards the Soundbar and TV is easy, and my wife has always access to her files,emails and more with her, for example I-Phone/I-Pad anywhere where she is she can even stream directly from her I-Phone towards the tv while she is in a restaurant
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:32 AM   #25
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Just in time for the iPhone 6
viperGTS is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion